Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the NRA becoming the next PETA?

Originally posted by lreops View Post
    As it was never the thoughts about the possibility of innocent kids being slaughtered in school, mass killings at public places, manufactures that glorify and market fire arms in the matter they are today, and the abundance of uncared people with mental disabilities.

Yes, times have changed. The Ideals of what was, are no longer. Adjustment is not only needed, but necessary.

Just remember, this is 2013, not 1787.

Ron

The only thing that has changed is the principles and ideas that progressive wish us to live our lives by. Guns and children have been around since our existence, but yet it was never a problem until the progressives and the government started to interfere with our lives and how we raise our children.

So I respectfully reject your notion that something needs to change regarding guns.

If you're worried about people being slaughtered, why are you not crying about D.U.I.'s and alcohol and vehicles being used as tools to murder people?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
      The only thing that has changed is the principles and ideas that progressive wish us to live our lives by. Guns and children have been around since our existence, but yet it was never a problem until the progressives and the government started to interfere with our lives and how we raise our children.

So I respectfully reject your notion that something needs to change regarding guns.

If you're worried about people being slaughtered, why are you not crying about D.U.I.'s and alcohol and vehicles being used as tools to murder people?
      And why would you assume that I haven't worried about that after spending 42 years on the highways driving for a living. Now if you want to change the subject to that topic, be my guest, start a thread on that.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
        And why would you assume that I haven't worried about that after spending 42 years on the highways driving for a living. Now if you want to change the subject to that topic, be my guest, start a thread on that.

Ron
        Considering we average around 80k deaths a year alcohol related, compared to 12k for gun deaths (homicide) (32k for total gun deaths) I think our focus should be elsewhere which is my point. It's already been proven that strict gun laws curbs absolutely nothing. So if you were that concerned for human life, guns shouldn't be your focus right now...alcohol should be.

Both alcohol related deaths and gun related deaths have 1 thing in common, and that's people being irresponsible. Which means somewhere a long the line the thought process broke down for these people.

Mental Health issues is more of an problem, which leads people to doing uncharacteristic things in their lives.

So, to say we should do something about guns is not the right approach. Let's stop letting the government and progressives in our lives tell us how we should be raising our kids. Let's actually acknowledge as a Nation that mental health issues is "the" problem, instead of trying to deny we even have a problem. Let's teach our kids to respect firearms and teach them the consequences of what happens when the trigger is pulled. Let's stop teaching kids that guns are very bad and scary.

Let's teach people if you have problems in life, it's ok to seek help and treatment.

When someone is having a very bad day, getting loaded with alcohol or picking up a gun isn't the answer.

Let's place a full bottle of your favorite alcohol on the table with a loaded "Assault weapon" with a 30 round clip and let's see how long it takes for both to go out and kill people.

Inject a human being with mental issues into the equation..and now we have a different outcome.

Comment

I love reading all your thoughts on your right to bears arms any arms but its evolution ( Frank knows all about evolution) whether you like it or not your not and if it takes one year or whatever you are not going to be allowed to own certain guns and whether it is the Democrates or Republicians society will demand that your are disarmed of certain weapns it has happened all over the world so make the best of it as the party is nearly over and all your stonewalling is not going to matter a bit the writing is already on the wall

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            I love reading all your thoughts on your right to bears arms any arms but its evolution ( Frank knows all about evolution) whether you like it or not your not and if it takes one year or whatever you are not going to be allowed to own certain guns and whether it is the Democrates or Republicians society will demand that your are disarmed of certain weapns it has happened all over the world so make the best of it as the party is nearly over and all your stonewalling is not going to matter a bit the writing is already on the wall

Tony
            Ever see the movie Braveheart Tony? You will see the 2013 version of that movie if what you say comes true.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
              None of those things you mention has anything to do with the 2nd amendment, and in fact were not even a thought back in 1787, which has nothing to do with the framers of our constitution.
              Neither were semi-auto rifles or pistols, or ANYTHING that used a magazine. Even revolvers were unheard of.

If you want to follow that logic all we will have is what was available in 1787.

My opinion is that was not the intent of the framers, that is to limit future generations to only those weapons available in their time.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                My opinion is that was not the intent of the framers, that is to limit future generations to only those weapons available in their time.
                Thats been my point Bob, until tanks and submarines and fighter jets came into the conversation. A gun is a gun...that hasn't change since 1787 except for the type of guns that were created. Those against guns say the framers would of never allowed this type of gun. They are speculating and if that was the case, they never would of created the 2nd amendment in the first place. These old timers were not stupid!

The framers were smart enough to cement that into the Constitution in where we could adapt to future changes in the firearm.

Comment

So, should there be any gun regulations at all? I mean, why shouldn't the average Joe be able to have fully automatic weapons? After all the only difference between full auto and semi auto is how fast you can pull the trigger and BTW the Hellfire triggers are legal and essentially turn any semi auto into a full auto. How about mortars, bazookas, RPG's ? or for that matter tanks and anti aircraft weapons? After all, I'm just defending myself and family from a threat, real or percieved. The second amendment says " A well regulated militia " Thats how it starts and its also the the sentence that most folks choose to overlook. So what exactly is a well regulated militia? Is it " We the People"? I ask because I see very little in the way of regulation amongst the populous. We are anything but regulated and most are not trained either in the art of war or for that matter the safe handling and storage of firearms. Is not the National Guard our well regulated militia? As a gun owner I struggle with these issues. I own far more guns than any one person needs and quite a few of them fall into the assault weapon catagory. I think I am mantally stable although others might disagree and I also think I do a good and responsible job of securing my firearms agains unauthorized use or theft however I also recognize that a good deal of my weapons serve no purpose other than its fun to shoot them. Although it is possible to deer hunt with an AK or an M16 the truth is that they are not particularly well suited to hunting. I do 90% of my deer hunting with a lever action Marlin 336 and all my waterfoul hunting with a over and under Browning 12 gauge. In short, I don't need most of the guns I own but I do enjoy collecting and target shooting with them. The question is whether or not I can live without them if need be and the short answer is yes.
                  sigpic

Comment

We can "live" without a lot of things. If I want to keep the different kinds of firearms then that's my choice. If I want to keep them because I enjoy them and have fun shooting them then that's my choice. I don't have to give you a reason why I want to keep certain types of firearms. It's none of anyone's business why. We all know the new laws are a complete joke, we all know it yet we say why not it's just a little simple law and won't take away anything? Reminds me of sheep being led to slaughter, one step at a time.

Comment

Sure you legal gun owners can live without automatic assult rifles, but why is that even a question? The nation is outraged over the incident in CT when more children and adults are killed by illegal handguns. The teens in gangs wounding and killing bystanders and people who think they are safe in their homes, don't seem to be a part of the save lives argument. Why is it asking too much to focus on criminals? The country is poised to spend God knows how much money to put armed guards in schools where they will probably never be needed, while thousands of people including children are slaughtered by criminals who don't get caught, or plea bargain so they can repeat offend. Our legislators should be ashamed for wasting our time on a nonissue. Visit any inner city bad area and tell me if you fear the legal gun owner or the punk with a illegal gun?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I mean, why shouldn't the average Joe be able to have fully automatic weapons?
                        For you to even make that comment tells me you nothing about a class 3 license and how difficult it is to obtain. I've known guys who never done a bad thing in their life, let alone never swore...and they were turned down.

Ask any Police officer how difficult it is to obtain a class 3 license.

Comment

I prefaced that with a question asking why do we not allow everyone unlimited gun ownership and access and whether that was a wise decision or not. I am fully aware of the difficulty in obtaining a license to own fully automatic weapons but that was not the point. The point is that many years ago the supreme court drew a line there and that line sets a precident for inclusion of other weapons that they may determine are not in the best interest of society to allow everyone access too. I have no doubt that any further weapons bans will do little if nothing at all to curtail the violence that is so previlent in our society and that criminals will not be detered in any fashion from obtaining whatever weapons they desire. However, at some point we must begin to address the escalating violence within our borders. The issue is difficult at best because in encompasses so many different aspects of crime and violence. Our society is responsible for what we see on our streets. Television, movies, video games, the gangster culture and the lack of parental guidence and control all lead to the steady regression of morals and behavior. Add permissive courts, the glorification of violence, lack of respect for persons and property and the overall and general corruption within and the outcome can only be disasterous for us all. I have no intention of surrendering my weapons at this time, nor will I buy into the general gun frenzy sweeping the nation which is doing nothing more than putting money into the pockets of the manufacturers and store owners. We are becoming a nation of absolutes when most issues are anything but black or white. Its macho to go around saying "from my cold dead hands" but in truth, unless you are single with no friends or relatives, given the choice between a shoot out with the feds or handing over my guns, I am going to hand over my assault weapons. I suspect that 99% of folks will do so as well rather than risk the lives of their family.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            We are becoming a nation of absolutes when most issues are anything but black or white. Its macho to go around saying "from my cold dead hands" but in truth, unless you are single with no friends or relatives, given the choice between a shoot out with the feds or handing over my guns, I am going to hand over my assault weapons. I suspect that 99% of folks will do so as well rather than risk the lives of their family.
                            Ironic you should bring this up, because my next door neighbor is a township cop (he's white), and I have a State Police officer (he's black) directly across the street from me. I asked them both this question "If the government says you have to go and collect banned firearms from citizens, will you both do it?" They both at the same time said to me "No" because neither of them wants to get shot, and pretty much the Police force they both belong too are in agreement.

For me personally, I would never surrender my firearms because some sleazy Politician didn't want me having it. The Constitution guarantees me that right to keep and bear arms, and I understand American history and why the American Revolution was started. I don't have Assault weapons because I use them for hunting, I have assault weapons to protect me and my family and I'm a defender of the United States Constitution.

Your number is off as well, I would bet my house that 99% in this country would not give up their guns. You're gravely mistaken if you think that's the case.

Comment

History has proved otherwise
                              sigpic

Comment

I highly doubt, short of a Constitutional Amendment, gun rights will disappear. There is a history with the Supreme Court and their decisions which makes that clear. The States have limited ability to restrict certain weapons but not to completely ban guns.

An interesting new twist to federal enforcement is some state and local agencies are now refusing to enforce federal laws. It appears to have started with the Arizona immigration rulings where the feds claim only they can enforce federal immigration laws. Now states that have approved marijuana are telling the feds to enforce their laws on their own. Many agencies have sent letters to Obama, in advance, saying they will not enforce any new gun laws he has proposed. There are not enough federal agents available, who would go after otherwise law abiding citizens for their guns.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X