X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many---

Women craftsmen[?] are members of this forum or that you know?

Re: How Many---

My wife carries a Leatherman tool....
    does that count?

Cactus Man

Comment

My wife claims she can sweat copper, hang drywall and tape it because " it looks easy enough when she watches me do it"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        My wife claims she can sweat copper, hang drywall and tape it because " it looks easy enough when she watches me do it"
        take videos. this will be entertaining. tell her it's to educate all of us hacks out on the forum.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My 2 year old daughter was going to be named piper.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
            take videos. this will be entertaining. tell her it's to educate all of us hacks out on the forum.
            I wonder how many of your customers have similar thoughts as they watch you work? Always looks easy when you are watching a person who knows what they are doing, it's a whole other story when the tools are in your hands.

Comment

I enjoy when people take pictures or video when I do work. It tells me that at some time in the past they got screwed by some hack and it's now my job to make them jump with joy at my work and person. Then, when they are happy they also have documentation to show their friends. (The flip side - don't botch it.)

Lots of my past customers have vocalized the same thought - 'it looks so easy' or 'it looked easy, then i tried it'. Mind you, i won't give up major secrets of the trade but I will teach someone, if they are willing, how to solder, how to use a wrench or some other small thing. It helps build trust and shows that you are comfortable and knowledgeable in the position they hired you for.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Can she do it?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    My 2 year old daughter was going to be named piper.

Rick.
                    Is her nickname Piper?

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      My wife carries a Leatherman tool....
                      does that count?

Cactus Man
                      Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                        Can she do it?
                        Only in her mind. I compare it to the out of shape guy sitting on a couch watching any sports program and imagining he could do the same.
                        I'm sure there are unique women who do plumbing and are very capable, but the men and women who just assume the work is no big deal are simply ignorant. We had two female linemen on the job but they never had to lift a 90lb bag of cement, swing a 16lb sledge hammer of do any of the other back breaking work. I'm going off on a sexist rant, but I do feel there are some jobs where women do not shine. There are some jobs that most men can't do either. If you watch enough episodes of "Cops" you will see some of those female officers tossed around like rag dolls when it gets physical.

Comment

Working...
                        X