Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vice President's Suggestion

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    An assault rifle isn't necessarily the weapon for precision targeting, but is more designed to put as many bullets into the air as possible and thus suppress the enemy as thoroughly as possible... keeping him down as you attack, or suppressing his attack, in numbers, as he attempts to move on your position.)
    CWS

CW, I totally disagree with you on this point, unless you're talking about a car load of gang bangers doing a drive-by with an illegal full auto AK.

The M-16 family of assault weaponry is highly accurate and deadly. In order to fire Expert in my Marine Corps you have to get almost all of them in the black from 100, 300, and 500 yards. Point of aim is point of impact. The "Sporter" civilian semi-automatic version AR-15 offers the same accuracy and consequences if you are in the line of fire. I'd consider it for my personal weapon (if I owned one, which I don't that I could get up close and personal with my adversary from as far away as I chose or as close as necessary.

In a military engagement, suppressing fire is better served by a belt fed machine gun or SAW. Better yet was the Cobra, with it's 2-miniguns and friends.

Seriously, I don't want to run low on ammo by just putting as many bullets in the air as possible to suppress my enemy. I would prefer to dispatch him/her before they killed me or you.

Side note: Back in 1968, when I was first introduced to the M-16, the range NCO concluded his litany of it's attributes with "It's made by Mattel and it's Swell".

Comment

Arizona,

I don't disagree with you at all. I said, "isn't necessarily"... and surely there are specific rifles in the "assault" category that are significantly accurate. My terms were meant to cover a wide area and the many different, and some unknown to me, weapons that fall into that category. And certainly, I didn't mention weapons like would fall into the "machine gun" category. Your service in the Marine Corp would make your experience and training in weaponry extremely superior to mine, absolutely NO contest at all.

The context of the subject, as I read it, was the ridiculousness of Joe Biden's suggestion that the "shotgun" might be a better weapon for home defense than an "assault rifle" and to that end was my offering of a comment, though rather general. I also do not own a AR15 or similar weapon. But I still think that in an urban environment, like my neighborhood, a high power, rifled barrel with a metal jacketed projectile would endanger my neighbors more so than a shotgun blast from a "buckshot" cartridge. Hand gun and long-gun types have their specific design purposes I think. "Assault" being designed more for military-type encounters... but of course it in the hands of someone well-trained, like yourself, would be perhaps a weapon of choice for many situations including home invasion. I guess my thought was leaning more toward a typical civilian with little to no training who might entertain this type of weapon as the best weapon for home defense. I am still under the impression that a "shotgun" would better serve that purpose though.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

I do wish we could get past making everything so damn political and responding as if it was some sort of conspiracy against the 2nd Amendment.CWS
        We could get past this as a Nation, if we didn't have people calling for a repeal of the 2nd amendment. We could get passed this if we didn't have politicians crafting bills that "infringe" on our 2nd amendment rights, even though they know it will never pass in congress.

I'm a life member of the N.R.A. and I agree with background checks and some other small things regarding some loop holes.

But to spread misinformation about what an "Assault" weapon is in the mind of a Liberal, will only incite the other side and make the person speaking look like a jack a$$. Semi-automatic is the same whether it's a handgun or rifle...what am I missing here? I'll hear some jack a$$ say " we don't need these machine guns on the streets"...really now? All these wacko's shooting people have a class 3 license and are shooting people? Do you know how much a full automatic rifle is? They are so expensive, only people flush in money can afford them.

I or most people could do just as much damage with a handgun, as we could with an Assault weapon...so why do we want to ban assault weapons again? It makes no sense to me what-so-ever, as I can get a high capacity magazine with a handgun as well.

So to me, and by the actions of the anti-gunners, this is about the banning of firearms. We have many people in this country who are appalled that we are allowed to arm ourselves.

Comment

Arizona,

I don't disagree with you at all. I said, "isn't necessarily"... and surely there are specific rifles in the "assault" category that are significantly accurate. My terms were meant to cover a wide area and the many different, and some unknown to me, weapons that fall into that category. And certainly, I didn't mention weapons like would fall into the "machine gun" category. Your service in the Marine Corp would make your experience and training in weaponry extremely superior to mine, absolutely NO contest at all.

The context of the subject, as I read it, was the ridiculousness of Joe Biden's suggestion that the "shotgun" might be a better weapon for home defense than an "assault rifle" and to that end was my offering of a comment, though rather general. I also do not own a AR15 or similar weapon. But I still think that in an urban environment, like my neighborhood, a high power, rifled barrel with a metal jacketed projectile would endanger my neighbors more so than a shotgun blast from a "buckshot" cartridge. Hand gun and long-gun types have their specific design purposes I think. "Assault" being designed more for military-type encounters... but of course it in the hands of someone well-trained, like yourself, would be perhaps a weapon of choice for many situations including home invasion. I guess my thought was leaning more toward a typical civilian with little to no training who might entertain this type of weapon as the best weapon for home defense. I am still under the impression that a "shotgun" would better serve that purpose though.

Thanks,

CWS
          I think all of us can agree Biden is an idiot, however, I think he might have a point about shot guns for personal home protection versus a rifle. Most encounters are less than 10ft, and spray and pray is more effective versus 1 shot from a rifle in the dark as your eyes are not focused.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
            We could get past this as a Nation, if we didn't have people calling for a repeal of the 2nd amendment. We could get passed this if we didn't have politicians crafting bills that "infringe" on our 2nd amendment rights, even though they know it will never pass in congress.

I'm a life member of the N.R.A. and I agree with background checks and some other small things regarding some loop holes.

But to spread misinformation about what an "Assault" weapon is in the mind of a Liberal, will only incite the other side and make the person speaking look like a jack a$$. Semi-automatic is the same whether it's a handgun or rifle...what am I missing here? I'll hear some jack a$$ say " we don't need these machine guns on the streets"...really now? All these wacko's shooting people have a class 3 license and are shooting people? Do you know how much a full automatic rifle is? They are so expensive, only people flush in money can afford them.

I or most people could do just as much damage with a handgun, as we could with an Assault weapon...so why do we want to ban assault weapons again? It makes no sense to me what-so-ever, as I can get a high capacity magazine with a handgun as well.

So to me, and by the actions of the anti-gunners, this is about the banning of firearms. We have many people in this country who are appalled that we are allowed to arm ourselves.
            First off, many semi automatics can be modified to go full auto in a matter of a couple hours using parts available on the Internet. So you don't have to be flush with cash. Second off, there you go throwing the liberal word out there as though it is only democrats that favor gun restrictions. You seem more interested in bashing a party than addressing the issue. You should start doing some research and stop letting Rush speak for you.
            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              First off, many semi automatics can be modified to go full auto in a matter of a couple hours using parts available on the Internet. So you don't have to be flush with cash. Second off, there you go throwing the liberal word out there as though it is only democrats that favor gun restrictions. You seem more interested in bashing a party than addressing the issue. You should start doing some research and stop letting Rush speak for you.
              I seem more interested in calling out the enemies to the U.S. Constitution...there is a difference.

Acquiring parts to make an assault weapon fully auto is breaking the law without a class 3 license. Maybe we should follow the law instead of a major power grab.

I could go out into my garage an make an explosive bomb as well...it's illegal and I don't.

Poor analogy you used there.

Comment

I doubt that you have ever read the constitution and I doubt even more that you understand constitutional law. If you did you might understand that while the second amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, the congress, president and the Supreme Court all have the power to limit that freedom and have in fact done so many times in the past and furthermore the states have those same powers. They are constitutional as deemed by the Supreme Court. That you and the NRA don't like those laws only means that you have perhaps supported the wrong representatives.

You were the one that said full auto's were expensive. Breaking the law was not part of the conversation. BTW, my father in law holds a class III license and several full auto AK's and AR's along with a BAR and a Lewis gun.
                sigpic

Comment

I doubt that you have ever read the constitution and I doubt even more that you understand constitutional law. If you did you might understand that while the second amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear arms, the congress, president and the Supreme Court all have the power to limit that freedom and have in fact done so many times in the past and furthermore the states have those same powers. They are constitutional as deemed by the Supreme Court. That you and the NRA don't like those laws only means that you have perhaps supported the wrong representatives.

You were the one that said full auto's were expensive. Breaking the law was not part of the conversation. BTW, my father in law holds a class III license and several full auto AK's and AR's along with a BAR and a Lewis gun.
                  I'm not trying to be funny, but I should feel really honored to be in your presence since you already proclaimed to be well versed in religion,firearms,and now the constitution. Would you like to stake your claim of expertise in anything else why you have the floor?

How about we start with this, go to gunbroker.com and look at fully automatic rifles and report back on the price tag of them...ok?

Breaking the law is the problem...if we don't enforce our laws already on the books.

Lets get something else straight...Glenn Beck or the NRA doesn't speak for me. If you want to know my feelings..ask me instead of assuming my thoughts. I don't know why you keep repeating the same drivel over and over again.

Lastly, in my post history, I've already proclaimed to be a member of the Constitutional party, which means, I've read the constitution and bill of rights numerous times. Just because I might support a Republican, doesn't mean I'm Republican.

Being conservative doesn't automatically equal Republican...many other groups are conservative that don't begin with the letter R.

Comment

I keep repeating because you keep repeating.

I'm waiting for your explanation of what a conservative is

What is the constitutional party? Who are their candidates and what is their platform?
                    sigpic

Comment

I keep repeating because you keep repeating.

I'm waiting for your explanation of what a conservative is

What is the constitutional party? Who are their candidates and what is their platform?
                      Do your own research, and form your own opinions.

Try it...you might like that concept.

Comment

You won't because you can't. Exactly what I suspected. So no, I'm not going to explain it too you because you won't learn anything unless you learn it for yourself.

Everything I post is my own opinion. Do ya see anyone else here posting the same thing? Do ya hear or see anyone on the radio or tv saying the same things? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                        sigpic

Comment

You won't because you can't. Exactly what I suspected. So no, I'm not going to explain it too you because you won't learn anything unless you learn it for yourself.
                          Is that what it is? lol

5 minutes ago you were just crying about Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck being my mouth piece, but now you're willing to take the opinions I formed on the Constitutional Party and Conservatism and nail me to a wall because they don't coincide with what you like.

I wish I could show you the grey hairs on my head so you would know I didn't come in on the last load of pumpkins. lol

Comment

Guys, take a break! You you bleeding heart liberals and ultra conservatives need to relax like me. Am I the only level headed middle class guy here?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Guys, take a break! You you bleeding heart liberals and ultra conservatives need to relax like me. Am I the only level headed middle class guy here?
                              Oh, I can fire you up in a New York minute! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                                Oh, I can fire you up in a New York minute! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X