X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vice President's Suggestion

Just read that joe biden suggested folks interested in protecting themselves and their property would be better off owning a shotgun! He says it's much easier to shoot someone with a shotgun than an assult rifle, and you can't kill as many people either. I guess that's true, how many people could you kill with a shotgun? We can expect the sale of shotguns to skyrocket now.

Re: Vice President's Suggestion

Sure, if i can get one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

Comment

He also said; "It's time we move forward into the 20th century!"

Comment

My home protection weapon of choice is a Mossberg 500 pump loaded with 00 buck and slugs (alternate rounds) The problem with pistols is two fold. One being that all automatics jam so there is the reliability factor but the second issue is that it takes a steady hand and training to consistantly hit targets that are further away than about 15 feet and with emotion and adrenaline flowing the problem is worse. Assault weapons suffer from being too complicated unless you have a lot of training with them and again, they are automatics and all automatics jam occasionally. However a 12 gauge pump is easy to figure out and you dont have to be a marksman to put lead on target, so though rare, I agree with Uncle Joe on that one.
        sigpic

Comment

That Mossberg 500 can jam up as well, granted because it is a pump you can many times force it and make it work but they can get cranky just like any other magazine loading unit,
          there are few things that can not malfunction,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree with a shotgun for another BIG reason.

Shotgun pellets are not going to penetrate the walls of your house like a bullet from a hand cannon (except maybe glass windows and doors) and strike an innocent bystander.

Also, A shotgun racking has a very unique and recognizable sound that will scare the c**p out of an adversary.

Comment

I have the single shot 410 next to the bed with buckshot for the first shot or two. Five steel pellets in each shell. In the other hand will be the 7 shot 357 revolver pistol with extra speed loaders in the pocket. Certainly will make some noise.

Comment

The vice president is a complete idiot !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  The vice president is a complete idiot !
                  I was thinking about that today. He's a guy who has been a politician for a real long time and I don't want to sound disrespectful but what has he accomplished? I'm sure he has done good for his constituents, but what about the country as a whole?If anything the legislators who have been in office a long time are more to blame in my opinion. He opens his mouth and messes up here and there looking stupid, but he is arrogant and a lot of other things I won't write. The idea or agenda to provide all the things his party wants are noble in thought but destructive and dangerous given our economy.

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                    I agree with a shotgun for another BIG reason.
                    Also, A shotgun racking has a very unique and recognizable sound that will scare the c**p out of an adversary.
                    Sorry, but I don't want to scare the you know what out of him if he's in my house. It would be an even bigger mess to clean up when the smoke clears. That's if I owned a firearm. Besides, experience tells me that bowels evacuate the body upon traumatic death anyway. Not that I've ever seen anything like that, and don't care to see it again.

Comment

A shotgun with a 9 pellet buck shot round will definitely penetrate a wall just as well as any handgun round. Hell the 9 pellet buckshot ball is bigger than a .223 round for goodness sake! It is true though, an 830 with a extended cartridge tube would blast just about anything coming at ya!

Comment

The whole thing is misdirection. There are trying to get people comfortable with long guns, no need for a handgun they say, so they can make it easier to take handguns away. Won't happen overnight, but the disarming of a population without a fight (which they couldn't win and they know it) takes time.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
                          Sure, if i can get one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
                          O hell I carn`t wait to see what happens when civilians get hold of one of those automatic shot guns especially a nutty one

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by arizonaplumber View Post
                            sorry, but i don't want to scare the you know what out of him if he's in my house. It would be an even bigger mess to clean up when the smoke clears. That's if i owned a firearm. Besides, experience tells me that bowels evacuate the body upon traumatic death anyway. Not that i've ever seen anything like that, and don't care to see it again.
                            semper fi brother
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well, the Vice President's suggestion isn't the first time I've heard that. I do wish we could get past making everything so damn political and responding as if it was some sort of conspiracy against the 2nd Amendment.

Over my many years, I've had a lot of discussions regarding weapons, firearms, effect against an enemy, field of fire, etc. So, bear in mind that this may be dated, I generally have no need to keep up with the leading edge of such things. But, for close defense, the shotgun is probably one of the most effective weapons available and you don't have to be calm, collected, and particularly a well-trained marksman to use one. Neither do you have to be greatly concerned for the medium to long range background of your field of fire (If you are using a proper "shot" load). But, understand that I'm not "up-to-date" and therefore no where near an expert with regard to modern shotgun loads, as my experience there is ancient.

The number one challenge of stopping an intruder, is to bring him down quickly. A shotgun will do that without having to really target a vulnerable area. With a pistol, you better know how to target quickly and have your first shots to hit an area that will stop the culprit from advancing on you. A handgun is fast, convenient, easily stored and perhaps more ready-at-hand, but it generally takes practice and training to hit a target, even at 20 or 30 feet. A rifle is easier to target, but generally not as wieldy as a hand gun. It's primarily designed to be used at longer range and with some ability by the user to target. An assault rifle isn't necessarily the weapon for precision targeting, but is more designed to put as many bullets into the air as possible and thus suppress the enemy as thoroughly as possible... keeping him down as you attack, or suppressing his attack, in numbers, as he attempts to move on your position.)

But, within those few yards between you and an enemy... the shotgun is a highly effective weapon for it's stopping power. In an urban environment or within a structure, it can be used much more effectively, although not as handily as a sidearm. With the proper shot, the pattern can be such that about all you have to do is point it at the person and they'll be hit and stopped. Likewise, with the proper shot, the blast will not travel nearly as far as a rifle or pistol bullet, which can go for hundreds of yards.

Given a choice between convenience and stopping power, I'd go with the convenience of a handgun. But it will take a heavier caliber and a calm and well-practiced target ability to bring them down. If readily at hand, with an attacker downstairs or on the other side of the door, my first choice would be the shotgun. I don't have to worry about my fire going through several houses and I don't have to worry that in my anxiety of the moment, I just might miss. (There's also a definite psychological effect pronouced by that "slide" when you chamber the shell... it's distinctive and it gets attention, especially by some jerk in the night of a strange house where they shouldn't be.)

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X