X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb 15th, the end is near. :)

On Feb. 15th asteroid 2012 DA14 will whiz by closer to earth than most geostationary satellites orbit. NASA says about 17,000 miles, which is dam close in space terms.

Not supposed to be bright enough to be seen with the naked eye and the best viewing point is not in our hemisphere.

So keep your head down on the 15th.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Feb 15th, the end is near.

Bob, let's not kid ourselves it will hit and bring about the next Iceage. They just don't want us to panic

Comment

Really? Gee, I thought it was supposed to hit somewhere in the downstate area, here in NY. While I agree that most of us won't be able to see it (or so reported), I do understand that Franki is one of the few lucky ones and I know he's been predicting this kind of thing for some time

It's only about 50 yards long though... I hope you have a few vacant lots in the neighborhood charted out for impact. You could probably make a fortune on fragments or maybe it would give a whole new definition to "FRACKING".

JUST KIDDING OF COURSE

On a much more serious side, I wonder what "the plan" would be if one of these things were to actually look like it would make an impact somewhere?

CWS

Comment

ONLY 50 yards long???

Any idea what kind of damage that thing would cause traveling at 17,000 miles an hour?

You wont have to worry about keeping your head down....

Comment

What possible plans could address such an event? Once again we are merely living with an illusion of security,because to be aware of the countless things that could happen would be unbearable. I'm living in wonderland here in CT, no earthquakes, or other serious natural disasters. One major hurricane in I don't know how many years. Not concerned in the least with heavenly bodies, just another day in paradise.

Comment

The plan? "Run you fools"
            sigpic

Comment

Nothing to worry about. In case you didn't notice, the world end on Dec. 21, 2012 and none of us is really here.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Don't worry about it--one of those baseball players on steroids will slap that thing towards Mars.

Comment

ASTEROIDS , Page 409438 on O Mama Care, ASTEROID EXCLUSION !! " WE'RE SCREWED "
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

So the one that landed in Russia today wasn't the 2013 DA14. It still injured over 500 people and broke up in the atmosphere.

Moving at 33,000 miles an hour!

Comment

DC Is a target rich environment.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

PC, Don't worry about it--DC has so much hot air floating around that it would blow it right back into space.

Comment

Working...
                        X