Round Two

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Round Two

Be safe everyone and stay home and off the roads.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      There's about 3' of snow in my driveway now. Drifts as high as 5
      Now that's a snow fall! Had roughly a foot hard packed. MY snowblower is thorty years old and started acting up a bit but got the job done.
      Old Toro 5/21. Gonna have a big breakfast, some pain meds and relax. My best to everyone including those in Arizona

Comment

I hire kids to shovel. My shoulder can't take it anymore
        sigpic

Comment

were in for blizzard warning for to night, and when I am done with them I send them on back east for you guys can have round two,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I hire kids to shovel. My shoulder can't take it anymore
            Consider yourself very lucky to have kids around your area that are willing to do that kind of work. When I was a kid we used to make good money shoveling peoples walks and driveways but the kids around here these days would rather just sit on their butts all day long than actually do something constructive. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw a kid or group of kids going door to door looking for shoveling jobs. In the 32 years I've lived at my current address, not once has a kid come to my door looking for work.

Comment

I'm still trying to find out what the official snow fall was, but I'm guessing it was somewhere in the neighborhood of eight inches. Sure looked beautiful late last night with all the trees covered.

Took me about an hour to shovel everything out, including the driveway. Snow is a bit heavy as I don't use a snowblower... just a shovel. Here on our street, the sidewalk is double wide, so that's a pain in the back. So here we are now at almost 1:00 pm and already the sun has melted the remnants off the driveway and the sidewalk and most of the road is bare too. Certainly not nearly as bad here as was forecast.

Sorry to hear you guys in New Hampshire and Connecticut and elsewhere in that region have received so much. Take care and pace yourselves.

CWS

Comment

Snowfall here was very localized. We got nothing at all, not one flake, and 12 miles away they have a couple inches.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                  Consider yourself very lucky to have kids around your area that are willing to do that kind of work. When I was a kid we used to make good money shoveling peoples walks and driveways but the kids around here these days would rather just sit on their butts all day long than actually do something constructive. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw a kid or group of kids going door to door looking for shoveling jobs. In the 32 years I've lived at my current address, not once has a kid come to my door looking for work.
                  Dave,
                  I can't find any kids around here to shovel snow either, as a matter fact you have to drive about 3 hours North to even see snow.
                  Oh well. It's 50 degrees outside so I guess we'll be eating BBQ indoors tonight.
                  Arizona Plumber.
                  BTW I'm a native and survived the record setting 122 degrees some years back. Bring on the heat.

Comment

Back at the end of the year, my grandson landed himself one heckava deal. The guy who lives across the street from him asked my son and grandson to come over, as he wanted to talk about a "business transaction" with the lad and wanted his father present too.

As I understand it, this guy is a retired Air Force Colonel and he and his wife spend the four months of winter in Henderson, NV. So he tells my grandson that the man who he's been paying to take care of the snow every winter has been gyping him and not doing the job he's been paid to do for the last couple of winters. (Apparently he keeps track through his next-door neighbors.) So, he wants to know if the lad would be interested, would he be honest, and what would he charge. My son was just there to observe, as the neighbor thought it would be a good learning experience for the kid. So after giving it a few seconds of thought, my grandson replied that, "YES", that would be great and you can certainly count on me."... and "would $10 be alright" for each time he had to shovel? The guy tells him that he doesn't want to mess around with paying him for "each time" and wants a total sum, based on the four months and what he might "have to shovel".

My son told me that the answer to that question was "How about $100!" The guy then told him that he liked his honesty and his ambition... that immediately tells him the kid can be trusted to do a good job. So he then asked, "Do you think your labor is worth less because your just a kid and this older guy who didn't do what he was supposed to is worth more? My grandson was a bit taken aback by that and didn't know how to answer, my son told me.

So the neighbor told him, "Look, I'll give your $150 a month for the four months, don't let me down and we can renogotiate next year if you'd like."

We've had at least three snowfalls thus far... I don't think a flake rests on that sidewalk more than just a few minutes. He's only thirteen, but already he's expanding his "services" to the neighbors and he's hired a couple of friends to lend a hand.

CWS

Comment

Good story CWS, quality people all around! I have a neighbor down the block with two sons who have been clearing an elderly couples driveway of snow for at least ten years. The boys also caddy and have saved a lot towards their college education. The money aside, the sense of pride and accomplishment gained from earing money is invaluable for a young persons sense of self.

Comment

Official tally for my neck of the woods is 29.8 inches
                        sigpic

Comment

I finally been freed from my sentence of hard shoveling! Now I'm too sore to do anything...

Comment

I did not do much shoveling, but my back still hurts and my hands are very sore from hours of holding the grips on my snowblower. Should be in good shape for the next storm, bring it on

Comment

Official tally for my neck of the woods is 29.8 inches
                              OUCH!!

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                                I'm still trying to find out what the official snow fall was, but I'm guessing it was somewhere in the neighborhood of eight inches. Sure looked beautiful late last night with all the trees covered.

Took me about an hour to shovel everything out, including the driveway. Snow is a bit heavy as I don't use a snowblower... just a shovel. Here on our street, the sidewalk is double wide, so that's a pain in the back. So here we are now at almost 1:00 pm and already the sun has melted the remnants off the driveway and the sidewalk and most of the road is bare too. Certainly not nearly as bad here as was forecast.

Sorry to hear you guys in New Hampshire and Connecticut and elsewhere in that region have received so much. Take care and pace yourselves.

CWS
                                Dont feel sorry for us, we welcome it! Well, most of us do
                                26+6=1

Comment

Working...
                                X