X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more miles to the gallon?

my drain van. 1985 chevy step van gets about 6 miles to the gallon. it has a a 5.7 motor, dully, one ton. is there anything you can think (besides a new van to get better then 6 miles to the gallon? oh and just for your info it doesn't matter how much weight is in it.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Re: more miles to the gallon?

Changing the rear end ratio will help. But you lose the low end torque. And most likely your savings might only be 1 mpg.

What's your average speed you're driving?

Mine is ony 13 mph in 4 years.

I get an average of 12.2 mpg on my diesel sprinter. But when I go on a long drive, I can get 20 mpg on the highway.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

in the years I have had trucks, I have found little to actually help the mpg on them, the EPA mess things up, and the problem is more internal in the design of the iron, and the mid 1980's seem to be the worst, as they were transitioning between the mechanical to the electronic controls and some of the Hybrids methods they used were not very good, 5,7 is a 350 one may consider going back a few years with carberation, and so on it may help,

one thing the 350 is probably the easiest and most likely has the most avable to modify it with,

possibly if one can find a seasoned RV mechanic or light truck mechanic that has experience with the older trucks, may talk to racers and such that still run older engines,

I do not remember how much is electronic controlled and is mechanically controlled, I know they had some ODD ball carburetors and were had that fuel injection throttle body about that time, (which was not to bad) it just never was that good on fuel, (still have on on the S10) some of the systems before that was junk,

what I am saying it may be worth looking in to a holly 4 barrel with small primary jets, It may be possible depending on the electronics to reprogram it, or chip it, (but like I said I do not remember how involved the computers were then,

and the EPA is screwing up the diesels just like they did with the gas engines back in the late 70's and early 80's most of the new diesels are not getting the GPM like they did a few years ago,

I my self probably would not mess with the rear end, as if you get to high it will drop mileage as well, and cause the engine to work all the time lugging,, and engine running at higher RPM with out a load and in it power band most of the time will use less fuel then one lugging hard all the time, (on my S10 they put to high of a rear end in it and it lugs and lugs you never get to use the over drive in it unless your down hill and with the wind)
      Last edited by BHD; 02-09-2013, 11:20 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Don't forget The ton of crap you haul around. Less weight=more mpg
        sigpic

Comment

President Obama suggests a tune up and proper tire inflation Unfortunately, changing the rear end, or going for different tires would offset any gain realized.

Comment

it doesn't matter weight. (i carry less then 800 lbs) i still get the same. a lot of hwy miles. down wind i think it is 7mpg as i'm in a rual area. i cover 45 mil. radious.
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Get a different vehicle. Are you only doing drain work? With that large of a radius, maybe switching to a smaller vehicle would help? Since I'm a full service plumber, the fuel cost with a step van is offset because you never need to make an unscheduled trip to the supply house.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I don't have that vehicle, so can't be specific to that. I am on my second Chrysler Corp van though. On a long trip I average 28 mpg, but in the city my mileage is of course less. I don't keep close track, but fuel up twice a month with about 11 gallons on the average. That includes a daily trip of about 10 miles or so, and a twice a month round trip of 150 miles. (So, let's see... that's about 580 miles a month, on 22 gallons which works out to be about 26 mpg, guestimating. Not bad for a Dodge Grand Caravan.

About once a year I check the plugs and every oil change (3,000 miles roughly), I replace the oil filter and clean or replace, as needed, the airfilter. I check the tire pressure weekly and don't heavily accelerate. On the highway I "cruise control" it to 73 mph. Locally, I prefer to travel the older, less traveled roads and stay off the constant start-stop parkway. I still get to our favorite places just as fast and with less gas consumption, not to mention frustration.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 02-09-2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

try to drive downhill only, your mpg should improve.

Seriously, it is what it is. If you've haad the vehicle for any time then you should know what MPG it is capable of getting.
                  Might be time to trade to something with better MPG, which may or may not be new or newer than what you drive now.
                  Ever consider a diesel? What about a trailer and a mid-size or 1/2 ton pickup to haul it around only when needed?
                  There might be a insurance savings too on top of the reduced fuel costs. The smaller truck might cost less to register too, but
                  depending on how trailer registrations work in your state you might not save anything. here your average trailer (up to 12k) costs $23/year.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    Get a different vehicle. Are you only doing drain work? With that large of a radius, maybe switching to a smaller vehicle would help? Since I'm a full service plumber, the fuel cost with a step van is offset because you never need to make an unscheduled trip to the supply house.
                    I drive a 2010 Superduty with a service body and average around 10-11 mpg. I am also a full service plumber and dont have to spend 1/2 the day chasing material. I wish I could haul more! Small trucks and vans
                    are perfect fits for a lot of people, I just cant see myself going that route. This is a pretty rural area and the closet supply house is at least 35 min away. Ever hand a customer a bill for 6 hours and 2 of them were for chasing parts?

I also wouldnt want anything that wasnt 4wd, but I dont live in California. You can take weight out of it, but you'll be looking for what ever you took out in a week and you'll be 20 miles from home. I geuss it comes down to how much you want to haul around vs. how much time do you want to devote to running off the job for stuff. I cant work out of a smart car, some people can, It is what it is.
                    26+6=1

Comment

Bye an old Cummins my 92 dually one yon has a 12' x 8' cube box on it I'm getting around 17 mpg and that's with my hubs locked..

Comment

Working...
                      X