X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Stonework

There was recently a thread about stone projects/stone work so following that I thought I would share some stuff I have been working on.

I have been remodeling a shower - if you visit the plumbing section you may have seen some of my plumbing related threads there (and occasionally been told to hire a pro ).

I wanted everything to match in the shower. However the pre-made molding did not match the Noce tiles I was using so I made some out of same tile used in the project. Two tiles were laminated to make it 1" thick and then routed, filled, polished, sealed and then installed.

You can see the finished pieces after fabrication as well as a couple of photos showing the install.

Re: Some Stonework

Beautiful. Lets see more pics. What size are the tiles?

Comment

beautiful work
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It's not finished yet - just doing the pan and the floor. So in the meantime here are a couple more photos of custom fabrication.

Waterfall edge on ceiling tile.

One piece wrap around tile and inlay to go around the mud wall.

The tiles are 18X18 - inlay was made from the 18X18s.

Comment

Man! That is really some very nice work and most impressive!

I love the color and grain selection as you have placed it. Very nice. That rounded corner area, where the diamond and border area wraps is intrigueing to me... how did you do that?

It would be great to do that in our old bathroom, but I would think the cost must be pretty spectacular, especially if you have to hire the skill to execute such a project.

Thanks again for your post,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the complements guys To answer your question CWS - the rounded corner of the tile was done by cutting a strip and then gluing the strip at right angles followed by routing the rounded profile and then polishing. The stone (like a lot of pretty stones that come with a lot of veining) is very fragile and some of the strips broke in multiple places. I've done enough projects now where I can take those pieces and glue then in a manner you won't know it broke.

For the rounded inlay I stuck the last few tiles together with blue tape and then routed the curve on my tilesaw. The profile wheel is also designed to cut and route at the same time which made this possible. Polishing was by hand with hand diamond pads.

I also made the trim on the tilesaw since a strip so narrow cannot be routed by hand with a grinder or a large router used for countertops. I believe they make the commercial ones on big stone machines that most don’t have access to.

I'm not very good at remembering to take photos but here are a few I found of some of the process.

Making the shelf

Cut lam strips for making the rounded corner

Gluing the strips with stone epoxy

Making the trim - just after routing and before polishing

Comment

i've never doubted your ability, this just proves it.

keep up the good work and keep on posting the photos and updates.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Looking simple but great work!Fresh designs and unique styles are new life into your home...The display you present for us is inspiring and very professional...

Comment

I've never done any tile work so I can only imagine the amount of work you have put into this. It looks great, I especially like the inlaid area for bottles,soap etc. Looks amazing!

Comment

Actually this is my first tile project although I've done other stone projects using slabs rather than tile. Large tiles are tricky to install because the surface has to really be level and plumb - any errors in the substrate will be heavily magnified over using small tiles. The substrate (other than the Kerdi which was used for waterproofing) is actually a masonry (mud) wall which I made out of lime, cement and sand so that I could get a true flat surface.

Comment

This is really incredible work and I must say it looks like a very time consuming work.
                      Anyway keep posting this amazing work.
                      PPE Protective Clothing

Comment

You Just proved ,You are a CRAFTSMAN of the 1st Order !! I've never done stone work.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You guys are too kind

Working and finishing stone is a slow process. For example it took about 5 mins to polish each piece for one grit. A total of 5 grits for a honed finish and a total of 16 pieces gives = 400 mins = about 6 and a half hours just to polish. Also I had to use hand pads on the little "ridge"areas and circular pads on a grinder on the bullnose section. So probably over 7 hours on just polishing alone. By the time you add the time to laminate, route and fill probably closer to 10 hours to make that trim.

if you want it looking good you have to spend lots of time.

Comment

My Mother was a nurse by profession. She had her own table saw,scroll saw , Ect. She did the House repairs. Dad did a lot of different jobs , Teaching ,was one. Moms long gone ,But often while working, I thank Her for My smart Hands. Where did You get those Smart Hands ?
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              My Mother was a nurse by profession. She had her own table saw,scroll saw , Ect. She did the House repairs. Dad did a lot of different jobs , Teaching ,was one. Moms long gone ,But often while working, I thank Her for My smart Hands. Where did You get those Smart Hands ?
                              No idea tool - certainly not from family I come from a family of doctors, dentists, engineers etc and no-one in my famlly (or friends for that matter) are into this kind of stuff.

Here are a couple of photos I took today I thought I would post given this is mainly a plumbing form - using a copper fitting to make a curved corner in stone.

Comment

Working...
                              X