Butcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Butcher

Good post CWS. I think our health has taken a hit as well as the small business man. Forty years ago breads and cakes were made of simple wholesome ingredients and lasted several days if you were lucky or didn't eat them up. If you were to compare labels, I think you would be shocked at the amount of chemicals. Mono and diglycerides, dough conditioners, anti caking, chemicals, preservatives, dyes and the list goes on. You want to buy more natural, healthy baked goods? Get ready to pay double, or more.I keep hearing that our soil is depleted of trace minerals, so we are probably ingesting the chemical additives to livestock, produce and baked goods, but finding ourselves deficient in nutrients at the same time. I think there is a big risie in cancers and other diseases possibly linked to our foods.

Comment

Believe it or not, Pennsylvania STILL has actual home Milk deliveries, but unfortunately, it's not in my area.

I remember that grey metal box we had on our front porch, and the glass milk bottles. I'm a firm believer that milk tastes better coming from glass containers versus plastic.

Anyways, to keep this going...

My father-in- law and I talk about the old times, and besides what I mentioned above, his biggest gripe is that he can't get a good donut anymore (specifically Jelly donuts).

Being that my wife and I both come from Italian families, our families grew up in South Philly. If you don't know anything about that area, it was ALL Italian pretty much at one time, but things have change slightly over the years. Everywhere you went there was a Butcher,deli, bakery...you name it.

But, my father-in-law was telling me that when he was a kid, he could go to the bakery at 12am and get a fresh hot donut. Frangelli's is still around, but that's pretty much it as Termini's stopped their donut line years ago.

My Great Grand Father was a Huckster in South Philly...boy the times have sure changed.

Comment

I buy all my meat at the local deli my carrots from a local farmer , eggs off a friend. But sadly no fresh milk. I try to support the little shopsas much as I can, I hate Walmart... Great thread guys thanks Sean.

Comment

When I was a kid we had the milk man deliver to the hours. Milk, eggs, ice cream and dairy. We also had the bread man. Bread, rolls, pastries. Ah the good old days when they delivered fat and cholesterol right to the door.
          sigpic

Comment

Frank, kids can'r play in the street anymore because they would get either run over by impatient drivers, shot by gang members, nabbed by some bezerk pedophile, or snatched up and sold as slaves half way around the world.

The streets aren't safe for kids any more so parents are forced to keep them inside if they want to see them at dinner time. That and video games have all but taken any interest in outdoor recreation for kids.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by seanny deep View Post
              But sadly no fresh milk.
              There has been a crackdown by the cooperatives on sale of fresh milk. Mostly due to the lack of pasteurization, but also because of it being non-homogenized. The heavy cream/fat profits are being literally skimmed off. There is also the issue of being contracted by the cooperative and selling the product outside of the contract is not legal.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
              X