X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butcher

I don't know why, but tonight I was thinking about things my future children might never get to experience, and tonight I was thinking about the classic butcher.

Now I don't count the flea market that's less than a mile from me (only open on weekends), but there is only 1 butcher in my general area and he's an Italian Butcher (5-6 butchers working there at a time) who's been around forever. (Philly has a ton of butchers)

Over the last 5 years, I've been getting my meats from him, as I refuse to accept or buy any meats that are in our super markets.

My neighbor is the head Butcher for a huge Super market chain in our area. He's already told me that they are taking the slicers out of the super markets and the Butcher isn't too far behind cause they are going to Pre-packaged meat. Now his job is safe because...he's good at what he does, and he runs the meat departments for this super market.

My question is...what the f*ck are we doing in this country?

Is everything about convenience these days?

Do I pay a little more for my meats from the Italian butcher? Absolutely, but I also know I'm getting superb quality and quantity when I go there.

Last weekend, when I was there, this old lady came in and placed an order. The owner himself cut this ladies meat order by hand, wrapped everything up neatly, then walked her and her order out to the car. Now that is service!

Don't get me started on the Milkman that's no more....I miss my fresh Milk in the morning. Supposedly we have this store 5 minutes from where I live that's a local farm selling fresh milk...better than anything in the stores. I'm gonna have to check it out sometime.

Re: Butcher

I am more worried about the growth hormones injected into the cows before they are milked, then the product processed.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      I am more worried about the growth hormones injected into the cows before they are milked, then the product processed.
      This butcher I use has grass or grain fed beef and this farm down the street for me claims grass fed cows for their milk.

Comment

My younger brother retired from the Meat Cutters Union around ten years ago and now is a Steam Plant Operator. Another ten years and he will collect a double pension. He told me the last time he actually handled a side of beef was over twenty years ago. That's when the the stores started buying pre-cut sections they trimmed and cut into smaller cuts.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am by no means the worlds greatest butcher, but can cut up some meat to recognizable pieces, and I know where it comes from, same as the chickens and the milk,
          Attached Files
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm with you Flux, but the little guy just can't keep his head above water. Most people want that one stop shopping experience and between rent, rising prices and insurance the independent doesn't stand a chance. There was a store front butcher shop in our town that at one time employed 7 to ten full time workers, the last few years he was by himself and finally threw in the towel. Regarding growth hormones in meat, I say the more the better

Comment

Yes I remember chummy the Butcher Herb the Milk man that gave us chunks of ice in the summer while We played ball on gravel roads. We yelled up to the Boston Edison Linemen on the poles for Elec. tape for out Hockey sticks, NEVER REFUSED.
              No $$ , No $200 sneakers , soo Much Fun in the ponds N woods ! Flux ,when You see Mom N Dad give them a hug from the old Irishman ! Tell them they did on Heck of a job with You ! Be Well Tool
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Yes I remember chummy the Butcher Herb the Milk man that gave us chunks of ice in the summer while We played ball on gravel roads. We yelled up to the Boston Edison Linemen on the poles for Elec. tape for out Hockey sticks, NEVER REFUSED.
                No $$ , No $200 sneakers , soo Much Fun in the ponds N woods ! Flux ,when You see Mom N Dad give them a hug from the old Irishman ! Tell them they did on Heck of a job with You ! Be Well Tool
                Chummy? lol

Anyways, my dad was telling me the other day that lunch meat back in the day just tasted better, because it was aged. He says today's lunch meat is nothing more than cardboard thats spiced up.

Comment

I have not bought supermarket meat in over 30 years. There is a butcher right down the road from me and while it is a bit more expensive we waste far far less because I don't think I have ever got a bad cut from him. There is also a seafoad market and again, I get all my fish there. It comes in off the boat a couple times a day
                  sigpic

Comment

I think a lot of those markets are dying off due to the generational change. <read in crotchety old man get-off-my-lawn voice> 'Back in the old days' the trend was moving out of the country to the busier cities. That older generation wanted some of the same amenities that they had in the country - fresh foods. The markets provided them. This latest generation of punks, twinks, and wear-my-pants-at-my-ankles people have little knowledge or care of where the food comes from, let alone the quality or work that it needs to make it that way. It's gimme gimme right damn now, for less. More economical transportation has also not helped these niches.

Price rollbacks for half rotten meat and migrant peed lettuce on now!

/farmer rant off
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      I think a lot of those markets are dying off due to the generational change. <read in crotchety old man get-off-my-lawn voice> 'Back in the old days' the trend was moving out of the country to the busier cities. That older generation wanted some of the same amenities that they had in the country - fresh foods. The markets provided them. This latest generation of punks, twinks, and wear-my-pants-at-my-ankles people have little knowledge or care of where the food comes from, let alone the quality or work that it needs to make it that way. It's gimme gimme right damn now, for less. More economical transportation has also not helped these niches.

Price rollbacks for half rotten meat and migrant peed lettuce on now!

/farmer rant off
                      This younger generation has no idea what they are missing out on. All of the supermarkets now seem to be "trendy" because you can eat inside of the store and it has a bar.

Me..I want to go to the old school butcher shop and see nothing but meat hanging everywhere and get me some fresh cuts.

NH- we had a fresh seafood store (I think it was that) but that closed down years ago. I don't think the Philly suburbs qualifies as being a hot bed for fresh seafood...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Early on in my lineman career I used to give away some tape to the kids for use as a hockey puck, but that was a long time ago. I just stopped seeing kids play together on the streets. Where I live it's all organized sports and activities, you don't see kids playing on their own. Growing up in The Bronx the streets were full of kids, riding bikes, roller skating, playing stickball, and a dozen different sidewalk games. Times sure have changed and I don't know if it's for the better?

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          All of the supermarkets now seem to be "trendy" because you can eat inside of the store and it has a bar.
                          Many department stores had this 30 years ago. Most did away with it for some reason or another.
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Flux,

Great subject, thanks for posting it!

I suppose this all started with an eye toward "convenience", as you put it; but even then I'm not really sure that was motive. In my humble opinion, it's more about PROFIT.

As I have made the argument in the past, we have ever increasing CORPORATE power... power to set prices, power to drive out the little guys or buy him out, and power to legislate what is best suited for the larger corporation and often is a detriment to the little guy.

The little guy, the guy around the corner so to speak, doesn not generally have the whereabouts to advertize, to cut prices for sales, to buy his products from a wholesaler at "volumen prices", etc. Likewise, he doesn't really get to manipulate and grand deals with the government (local, state, and federal) that might make his situation better either. In fact, the big corporations can get legislation that requires standards that, though would cost them further investment, might very well drive the little guys out of business and thus eliminate competition.

Right up until and through most of the 80's, we had all kinds of "local" privately owned business. Butcher shops, local dairy, and even things like chickens and eggs and dry cleaning all delivered to your door. Out here in Corning, we had several butchers and even two specialty sea-food places, three bakeries, and even some local machine shops. Every one of them are gone, except one bakery which now is mostly a donut and coffee shop. Even the four drycleaners are gone now... shut down by stringent local environmental and zoning laws.

We buy most of our meats from the local "Price-Chopper", which still employs a half-dozen butchers. Their meats come in whole (not sure what the proper term for a "half-cow" cut is). So, you can go there and have your "cuts" made fresh and to your exact liking. There are still a few "butcher shops" that are independant, but I think that number is only around three or four for the whole county area, and none of them advertise and thier business is, I think, pretty much word-of-mouth and through old family customers. But the three places that we used to frequent in my younger days have all gone.

So too, have the bakeries, the local milk, chicken, eggs, and other farm products. Even lumber is no longer local and the "fresh every day" bread and other bakery products are now "good for two weeks" and come from somewhere in lower PA. Nobody has a clue as to where meats from Walmart, Wegman's, Wiess, or any of these other stores might come and for all I know, maybe a lot of the eggs and produce could come from Mexico or even China.

It's really startling. But, I don't think "convenience" has driven that, nearly as much as the "corporatization" of America's food chain has.

CWS

ps,

Can you imagine what would happen if some big plumber outfit decided to follow the corporate model... buying up not only the manufacture of fittings, but also the tool manufacturing, distribution, and the service end and maybe even the copper and plastic resources. They could set the prices of the fittings and tools that you need to buy, while at the same time discounting them within thier own franchises. They could regionalize and even work in your area at a loss, until such time that most of the independant plumbers got starved out of the business. Only those with a very appreciative customer base would be left and most likely they'd be happy to pay more, as they'd probably have to compared to the local franchise of a national corporation with local employees.
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 02-14-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

With regards to "kids playing".

It's really very sad I think the way our kids have all grown up. I was just looking over one of my old cadet training manuals the other day. One regarding our morality and citizenship training. It was written in 1962 and relates to the loss of family, how many kids were getting thier entertainment and values, play and exercise outside of the "family unit". Funny, because that had NOT happened in our family or even very much in our community.

I tried not to let that happen after my wife and I had our son either. But as the little guy grew up he became involved in more and more activity, much more so than I would have even imagined for myself back then.

Today I have two grandsons... they honestly don't know how to play outside! They know electronic stuff and have almost everything on the market. They're both very nice and even great kids (though really both are now teenagers). But they don't know squat about anything else. They don't have time (or the interest for things in my shop), they don't know the outdoors, they don't even ride thier bikes (and don't know how to). Their parents transport them everywhere (I remember that my bike was an essential part of my life... not only was it entertainment, but it was also transportation.

I used to "live" in the woods and knew every rock, hill, and all the distiquishing features for at least three miles in any direction... at that was when I was only 12 or so. I had my Beagle, my gun, my cross-country ski's, my backpack, etc. I love the woods and during the summer months, all of us local boys would sleep most every night "up in the hills". We built "tree forts", lean-to's, etc. It was very much "who we were" and the parents never seemed to bothered by any of it.

Today, most kids just don't have a clue. Our son bought a home, a few blocks from us now, about eight years ago and last year my wife noticed black berried growing at the edge of thier yard. She asked the "boys" if they ever picked them.... they didn't know they were even there. Like what, you don't know your own back yard??? Sadly NO!

I find that a bit disconcerting... I'd like to see us "unplugged" I think,

CWS
                              Last edited by CWSmith; 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X