Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

    Reinforced concrete would probably have saved his life, but if not a requirement then how would you know if your house had it.

    But even then, concrete doesn't usually just get a hole in it, unless it is very thin or of poor quality (or so has been my experience). But, even if the slab stayed together as one big piece... over time the soil underneath, in and area like this, could well be eroding away and you simply wouldn't know. Then one day you drive your car into the garage or maybe just jump up and down on your mate a little too enthusiastically , and the hole house just goes. It's just a matter of time and undetected erosion... UNTIL

    (Honey... did the I just make the "earth move for you?" (Apologies to Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls])

    Now, if you've ever seen the animated movie "UP"... that's probably how your structure should be done (Well, I forgot about those hurricanes, so let's not go there!)

    Basically, Florida or at least a good part of it should just be left to the gators and snakes. Not exactly the kind of place I'd care to retire too!

    CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

      Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Was he a general contractor, too? (Just kidding, Tool)
      My Brother Arthur Passed The end of Nov. He got Me into carpentry ,then He got out. He retired there and spent His time helping people Get sober, AA . He didn't have much Money but helped a lot of folks with what He had. He would take them in off the street and feed them, let them sleep on His couch, Get them sober. Not Many like My brother there.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

        Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
        Reinforced concrete would probably have saved his life, but if not a requirement then how would you know if your house had it.

        But even then, concrete doesn't usually just get a hole in it, unless it is very thin or of poor quality (or so has been my experience). But, even if the slab stayed together as one big piece... over time the soil underneath, in and area like this, could well be eroding away and you simply wouldn't know. Then one day you drive your car into the garage or maybe just jump up and down on your mate a little too enthusiastically , and the hole house just goes. It's just a matter of time and undetected erosion... UNTIL

        (Honey... did the I just make the "earth move for you?" (Apologies to Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls])

        Now, if you've ever seen the animated movie "UP"... that's probably how your structure should be done (Well, I forgot about those hurricanes, so let's not go there!)

        Basically, Florida or at least a good part of it should just be left to the gators and snakes. Not exactly the kind of place I'd care to retire too!

        CWS
        Did I see UP , My bride is in the credits, 27 Years with Pixar. Only 2 other Woman with Beth still there from the start Up !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

          Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Did I see UP , My bride is in the credits, 27 Years with Pixar. Only 2 other Woman with Beth still there from the start Up !
          UP by far is my favorite animated film to date. The story line was amazing and the graphics done by Pixar are stunning. Seeing it on my 73" HD 1080P TV is absolutely stunning! Made me cry damn it!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

            Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            UP by far is my favorite animated film to date. The story line was amazing and the graphics done by Pixar are stunning. Seeing it on my 73" HD 1080P TV is absolutely stunning! Made me cry damn it!
            I'll Ask Mom to post a Pix of Our 29" allum. Ellie's pin and 48" safety pin through it. I've done 6 Pieces or Pixar's movie Metal art.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

              Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Did I see UP , My bride is in the credits, 27 Years with Pixar. Only 2 other Woman with Beth still there from the start Up !
              Wow, that is just something else.... tell your wife I am jealous of her career.

              I've spent more than 40 years illustrating, mostly as a technical illustrator and only in the last 10 years of my career did I get to do stuff in COLOR!!!! Everything in my world was to communicate machines and their mechanical assembly, service, and features. I've spent untold hours communicating engineering concepts and similar stuff, and even some cartooning for technical manuals, posters, and presentations. In the late 80's I jumped from the drawing board to the computer, but it was still mostly black line. All that simply pales in comparison to the fantastic art that I see on the screen in movies like "UP". To me, doing the kinds of things that PIXAR does would be truely "heaven" I think. Of course once there, one might see it more as a grind, but the end result is simply marvelous!



              Thanks for the post,

              CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM.

              Comment

              Working...
              X