Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

My take. Worker suspended in harness, from crane over hole . He uses hose from large truck suction pump to remove mud. That way they may have an intact body to Bury. What's Your Idea ? I'll take E.Quakes over this N Tornadoes any day !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Fla. Sink hole that killed man, body recovery ?????

Interesting story, I caught it briefly on last night's news.

The question of course is about the risk to the people or person attempting the recovery. I suppose one could just be callous and say, "Hey he's already in the ground, so have a memorial service and put up a plaque!" Recovery is not always possible.

The thought also goes to what is the nature of these "sink holes"? Where does the stuff go that sinks into them and what is causing them to begin with? I can see collapses in mining country, even in areas where fracking might take place, or in certain areas where geological disturbances like volcano's, steam vents, etc. have been found.

I suppose in areas like Florida it may be caused by the droughts that have occurred in the past decade or so and erosion of subterranean areas that have simply shrank away because of this. Or is it perhaps underground erosion from the ocean? (Not sure how far this particular place is from the shore.)

(Or it could just another one of these "black hole vortexes" that are so rumored to be part of the Bermuda Triangle... in which case, this poor soul may now be a museum exibit in some galaxy, far far away! )

CWS

Comment

In 1976 (I was 4) we had a sinkhole in our back yard.

Back then it cost my father over $12,000 to have that hole filled which was a lot of money back then.

That was the last hole my father was going to fill and so he contacted the state geologist to find hard ground in the area, and so we moved.

Btw tool...I didn't see confirmation that this guy was dead yet. But then again I'm vaguely following it.

Comment

to my under standing is that most of the Florida sink holes are caused by limestone being dissolved by water, thus leaving a void,
        FGS, Sinkholes in Florida
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A great majority of the Florida panhandle geology is ancient shallow sea bottom. Much of the sea bottom was coral reef. As in today's reefs there are many holes and pockets. Over thousands of years, water seepage has eroded and decayed the holes and pockets. Subterranean water levels have fallen - the aquifer 'structure' is reduced - by well pumping, global warming, natural trends, etc. The water structure helped to hold up the geology. With the support gone, eventually the ground collapses.

There are "blue holes" all over Florida. Some enter into underwater cave systems and house life seen nowhere else on earth. There are some in the Keys that are homes to alligators that eat the neighborhood dogs. There's even a deck platform where dumb tourists hang their little kids over the sides...
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My wife was just telling me that she heard a story a short while ago on TV. Apparently, as she understood it, there isn't even a trace of the funiture or other debris being reported. It's like this hole just opened up, swallowed everything and the sides of the hole sort of slid down enough to cover everything over. The victim and his surroundings could very well be tens of feet under the covering muck, or if this subteranean area is fluid, he could even be moved from the original area.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
              My wife was just telling me that she heard a story a short while ago on TV. Apparently, as she understood it, there isn't even a trace of the funiture or other debris being reported. It's like this hole just opened up, swallowed everything and the sides of the hole sort of slid down enough to cover everything over. The victim and his surroundings could very well be tens of feet under the covering muck, or if this subteranean area is fluid, he could even be moved from the original area.

CWS
              R.I.P.Friend. It's over, No recovery ! Remember "Life is only a weekend "
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Hang in there...
                I suspect this coming week obama will address this sink hole crisis
                and blame it on Fracking in Montana

he will sue anyone Fracking and try to shut down the entire process
                so no more homes in Florida will sink into another hole!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  R.I.P.Friend. It's over, No recovery ! Remember "Life is only a weekend "
                  Tool, I was talking to a friend today about how we make all these plans about doing this and that in the coming weeks and months. No harm in making plans but we really only have the very moment in which we live, the next is anyone's guess. Sad story, and the guy's brother is all broken up. I wonder why the cross members didn't hold up under the floor? Might have been extensive insect damage?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Tool, I was talking to a friend today about how we make all these plans about doing this and that in the coming weeks and months. No harm in making plans but we really only have the very moment in which we live, the next is anyone's guess. Sad story, and the guy's brother is all broken up. I wonder why the cross members didn't hold up under the floor? Might have been extensive insect damage?
                    I believe a lot of building in Fla. is lacking.My brother lived there

Comment

Unfortunately, so many homes in the south and especially Florida are simply built on concrete slabs. There are no "crossmembers" of any kind.

Though I have never been to Florida (and have no desire whatsoever to do so), I do have several relatives and friends that have moved there. Among them was my neighbor here (now deceased) and a buddy from work. The neighbor was a civil engineer here in NY and though he loved his little house in Florida, he often remarked at how shabbily his and his neighbors houses were... mostly just concrete block on a slab. In his case, the house was pretty nice looking with ceramic tile floors and "throw rugs" as he called them. He said the humidity and insects would probably destroy an typical house as it is built here.

My friend from work retired a couple of years before I did and had a really nice looking house built in the Port Charlotte area. It too was just on a concrete slab, tiled floors, but prestressed concrete walls. The soil is all sand, with top soil being brought in. Again, Jeff, although loving the new place and a great pool, was astounded by the necessity to not use many of the structural materials that we use regularly up here.

Hey Florida may be a nice place to visit, though I have no desire to do so. Up until the 30's only the large cities were really anyplace to live. The rest of the state is really comprised of small "island-like" patchs amidst a giant marshland. The whole penisula is just one giant swamp filled with mostly critters that I don't particularly care to share space with. Largest and smallest and most deadly North American snakes live there, as do alligators, fireants, and many other creatures which don't readily give up to man's encroachment. Up here all I have to contend with is the rare nasty neighbor, the occasional rattlesnake, and a bit of snow every now and then.

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Almost all of the homes in the Seffner and most areas in the state are on slabs. When this thing opened up, there wasn't much to hold that slab, so it just caved in. I live about 15 miles from Seffner where this happened. They aren't going to try a recovery because of the danger involved. Since the hole also has water in it, he is most definitely dead. Once these things start, it just keeps caving until the walls get on an angle where they quit caving. There are caverns all over the State of Florida. They even have divers that go diving in them. Some don't come back.

Once the top of the cavern becomes thin enough, and the ground water in that cavern drops which helps support it, the top of the cavern caves in and all the material above it follows suit. It's pretty scary. I remember when one on the East coast swallowed up the largest part of a Porsche Dealership and a lot of Porches.
                        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

would a reinforced concrete slab have failed like that? I know most basements here dont have any type of re-bar or mesh inlaid in the pours, but almost makes you want to just incase something like this was to happen. I cant think that the slab would have crumbled and fallen in the hole had it been reinforced. It might have started to sag, but probably given him a chance to escape!

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                            would a reinforced concrete slab have failed like that? I know most basements here dont have any type of re-bar or mesh inlaid in the pours, but almost makes you want to just incase something like this was to happen. I cant think that the slab would have crumbled and fallen in the hole had it been reinforced. It might have started to sag, but probably given him a chance to escape!
                            I think it would have helped and should be mandatory! Reinforcing the slab should be code.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              I believe a lot of building in Fla. is lacking.My brother lived there
                              Was he a general contractor, too? (Just kidding, Tool)

Comment

Working...
                              X