Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons buyback programs.

Any other states host these?

My hometown hosted one, and it is reported 333 weapons were exchanged for $50 to $100 gift certificates.

News article: Springfield police: 3 of the 333 firearms turned in during buyback were assault weapons | masslive.com

Personally, I believe it is a great way to easily rid oneself of unwanted weapons from the house, and get a gift certificate in the process. I suppose living an urban environment, a purge of excess weapons can only be a good thing. We all know we have more than enough to go around, and for many, such devices were only taking up space long after their usefulness expired. Pretty humbling when compared to the hype the NRA representatives were presenting to various congressional commitees, and other televised advocates spewing paranoia of a distopian future for an unarmed populace. The obvious answers, such as responsible weapons handing and training, coupled with a weapon selection based on proportionate amount of force to the threat likely encountered, it's only common sense. Then again, common sense never did make eyecatching headlines.

Re: Weapons buyback programs.

My view, its an evidence destruction device. You commit a crime, give the weapon to an innocent person to dispose of it and they can keep the gift card. Gun is destroyed, and the thug moves on no long holding evidence.

Comment

Ask Australians or British people if turning in weapons for cash is a good idea...Russians, Italians or Filipinos for that matter. You want to sell weapons I'm like Rick... the more the better.

Comment

I'm not sure we can agree what is common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
          Ask Australians or British people if turning in weapons for cash is a good idea...Russians, Italians or Filipinos for that matter. You want to sell weapons I'm like Rick... the more the better.
          Well, knowing the Russians, Italians, and Phillipinoes, they would turn weapons in for vodka, wine, or sake...in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
            I'm not sure we can agree what is common sense.
            Well, never pointing a weapon at a target unless you are determined to shoot it is one example. This is one topic I am often branded a socialite. I prefer an advocate of a legal paper trail. Do we not have to attend a government sponsored driving school to aquire a driving license? I believe the same principle must be applied to weapons. We have schools with certified professors in the field of firearms, with proven classroom methodology, to teach basic weapons disipline. Hell, during high school, use firearms as a great, everyday example to teach physics to students. Then, when such tudents reach legal age, attend weapons schooling prior to testing for a firearms exam. This way there is a paper trail from start to finish, from classroom instruction, to the curriculum, to the instructor, the final exam, and finally whom is issued a firearms license.

Case in point, in Springfield, a gas station owner applied for a license, and purchased a small .22 pistol to defend himself due to a history of robberies. Sure enough, he was held up one night, and he was able to defend himself. The criminal suffered a bullet wound, and then was arrested at the hospital. This is where common sense and proportionate use of force must be a factor. It is easy to say the owner should have bought a 10mm pistol to plow criminals' heads off, however, we need to factor human error here; What if he misses and hits someone other than the intended target? With a small weapon capable of inflicting harm rather than death, it with both enable deterring criminals and quite possible prevent the death of an innocent victim in the event of an error.
            Last edited by tailgunner; 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

You shouldn't get to choose what I shoot you with if you try to rob me.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                You shouldn't get to choose what I shoot you with if you try to rob me.
                Is it correct to let someone fire a weapon that can kill someone other than whomever was trying to rob you?
                Remember the key question here to keep in mind: "What if you miss?"

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                  Is it correct to let someone fire a weapon that can kill someone other than whomever was trying to rob you?
                  Remember the key question here to keep in mind: "What if you miss?"
                  It is correct to allow the buyer of the firearm to have the maximum he can afford. It is correct to have the person properly trained in the usage at or before the sale. Does the training usually happen? Sometimes. It is the obligation of the trigger puller to know the consequences of that pull. It is also the obligation of the criminal to know that they might get killed.

It is also the obligation of any human being to know that as soon as they pop out of a vagina there are statistics for any action or reaction in life. Many of them involve death or injury. Going out in public entails huge risks. If one doesnt like the risk they dont have to go out.

What if you miss? Lemme tell a short story about a local hunter with a rifle that blasted a school bus. Ignorance of what is hidden behind the trees is no excuse. They threw the book at the guy. Fortunately, no child was harmed in the making of his venison.

Just sayin
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

What if?

A stray shot can kill in any caliber.

You carry what you want and I'll carry what I want. If you don't think you can hit the robber you can pass on shooting.
                    Last edited by rofl; 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Buybacks are a great place to find deals.
                      Bring cash and offer more than $50 and don't be surprised if you aren't the only one doing this.

And always check to see if they're unload. Few people actually understand how to clear semi-autos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark7 View Post
                        And always check to see if they're unload. Few people actually understand how to clear semi-autos.
                        Pull back the cocking mech and pull the trigger?
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

These simple steps can save a life:
                          1. Remove Magazine.
                          2. Pull the bolt back.
                          3.Observe the chamber.
                          4. Release the bolt.
                          5. Pull the trigger.

I have seen what happens when someone forgets step one. It isn't pretty.

Comment

Just came accross this news article before going to bed.
                            Talk of new gun laws triggers huge demand for ammunition; firearms dealers can't keep enough ammo in stock | masslive.com

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                              This is actually old news, and not sure why your newspaper is just talking about this now.

Every single gun store in my area has been picked clean of everything! We have a major gun show coming up this weekend, so I'll be curious to hear the reports coming out of it.

The bigger question is, why does our government want to buy 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition? I'm not sure I'm buying what they are trying to sell.

Comment

Working...
                              X