X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Tom in customer service

I feel bad, I jest went off on him about the lack of cordless tool offerings and that I'm absolutely frustrated with Ridgid and Home Depot. I want a full line of cordless tools to round out my collection. And the response I get is, "not at this time" and "they didn't sell and were discontinued" or "not enough inquires to warrant selling"... WTH, if they are not on the shelf, you wont ever sell one damn tool!!! I am so invested heavily into the cordless tools so far, that I don't want to switch brands, between myself and my family we have over 20+ 18v Hyper-Li-Ion batteries, not to mention half a dozen or so older Li-Ion batteries and more than I can count drills and impact drivers. Then you stack in there Multi-tool, recip saw, Jigsaw, circular saw, work lights, one-handed recip saw, collated screwgun... and dozens of chargers too. I dont want to change... but what else can I do other than graft more battery bases to other brand tools or just buy the other tools and live with different batteries. I have had very good luck with Ridgid otherwise I would have jumped ship a long time ago. Damn it, Ryobi and Kobalt have these tools, even the crappy Porter-Cable tools have the tools I want, and they are all junk compared to the Ridgid tools I own. Yet Ridgids response is "our research shows low demand for these tools so we are not going to make them" that is complete BULLCRAP, if that was the truth, Dewalt, Makita, Kobalt, PC, Milwaukee and others wouldn't make them either... Again, of course it wont sell if its not on the damn shelf...

*bangs head against wall*

Re: Poor Tom in customer service

BTW, who would buy the following if they were available today?

Demo-Hammer AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Hammers | BBH180 | BBH18LI302C
    Grinder
    AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Grinders | 18V Angle Grinder | BEWS18125X0
    Planer
    AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Planers | BHO18
    Jigsaw
    AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Saws | BST18X

I'd buy every damn one of them, and if they had the cordless vacuum still available I'd probably buy two of them. I love my older one, and wish I had bought more before they cleared them out!

Comment

yup, my porter cable kit has issues. mostly quality control of the batteries. but the durability of he tools themselves have been up to par. it's difficult to jump to another brand when so much money is tied up into perfectly good tools. can't just throw them away...
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        BTW, who would buy the following if they were available today?

Demo-Hammer AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Hammers | BBH180 | BBH18LI302C
        Grinder
        AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Grinders | 18V Angle Grinder | BEWS18125X0
        Planer
        AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Planers | BHO18
        Jigsaw
        AEG POWERTOOLS [ AUSTRALIA ] PRODUCTS | Saws | BST18X

I'd buy every damn one of them, and if they had the cordless vacuum still available I'd probably buy two of them. I love my older one, and wish I had bought more before they cleared them out!
        Another member wanted these tools too (Who Lives in Australia?). They are not listed for shopping cart sale on any of the Australian tools web sites. A couple were listed on eBay, some sanders i think. The demo hammer I did find on the amazon.uk site couldn't be shipped to the americas.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

No offense to the Ridgid loyalists, but the name Ridgid only matters to me when it comes to certain Plumbing & Drain cleaning items.

Other than that, I wouldn't be caught dead with any power tool made by Ridgid. (sorry)

I am brand loyal to Milwaukee when it comes to power tools, as I've never had any problems with any of their stuff. However, I do have a Ryobi cordless that I do like, but I want to try something different.

Comment

Switch to Milwaukee and you won't even think about the orange ridgid stuff ever again...sorry Jjk. I got Makita 18 volt tools and milwaukee m 12 tools happy with both.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I have to be fair and tell 1 neutral/good experience I had with Milwaukee a couple of years ago.

We sent in our demolition hammer for service, and the people who do factory service for Milwaukee sent the hammer back in a 1000 pieces!! So we called them up and said "what are we supposed to do with this?" lol

The guy said they couldn't fix it, and didn't bother to put it back together, so he shipped it back to us. Now the blood was starting to flow, and then he said "however we will give you a killer deal on a brand new one instead".

Comment

Flux, our Plumber uses Milwaukee as well, he had Bosch stuff but ditched it a few years ago. I've beat my Ridgid tools, and they have preformed well, surprisingly well to be honest. If they hadn't, i would have thrown them out a long time ago. Thats why I am frustrated... offer the damn tools, people will buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                  Flux, our Plumber uses Milwaukee as well, he had Bosch stuff but ditched it a few years ago. I've beat my Ridgid tools, and they have preformed well, surprisingly well to be honest. If they hadn't, i would have thrown them out a long time ago. Thats why I am frustrated... offer the damn tools, people will buy them.
                  There is no use in getting so frustrated at Ridgid's refusal to expand their tool line. You need certain cordless tools and need to face the facts, it is way past time to switch brands. You can have what you need immediately from several different manufacturers, and if you can make or buy an adapter plate to use your Ridgid batteries on your new brand it is a win, win! The technology offered such as brushless motors will ease the pain of having to switch. There is a big difference between guys like me and you in that I'm retired and would "like" some different cordless tools, while you are a working professional and truly "need" those tools!

Comment

By not offering a complete line of of tools, Ridgid is refusing to meet their customers entire needs. They are selling the main top selling tools and ignoring the specialty tools required by many professionals.

Personally I feel this is a mistake as Ridgid is missing the opportunity to attract more customers (from the business market) and retain existing customers long term. Their lack of tool variety is literally driving customer to the competition.

This is as opposite as it gets in the tooling game where brand loyalty is such a valued commodity. Most people I know try to stick to as few different brands as possible just to keep it simple in terms of batteries, chargers etc. By forcing people to take on another brand they are advertising their short comings and forcing their customer to share tool loyalty with a new brand. Imagine next time that customer is at the store, now they have this second battery platform to rely on and are no longer as motivated to purchase Ridgid.

I truly do not understand the rational behind this short sightedness. The tools are obviously available as we see them being sold under the AEG name. It's not like you have to ramp up a whole new production line, new molds etc. Everything is already been done. All they need to do is work out the licensing details in order to be able to carry the extended product line. Why they do not do this, again is beyond me. (Edit: I guess they do it because the profit margin isn't as lucrative with the other tools but this brings me back to my previous comments about being shortsighted in terms of attracting customers and retaining existing customers.)

Alphacowboy - I would buy three of the four tools you had listed. I don't need the hand planer.
                    seanny deep - Agreed Milwaukee is amazing. When I needed a smaller tool I never even consider Ridgid because they don't have anything for the 12v's where as Milwaukee has somewhere near 30+ items which use the M12 platform.
                    Last edited by Supermanofsteel; 03-06-2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X