X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm System

Anyone have an alarm system for your van? I was thinking of getting an alarm system for a GMC van. Any suggestions? Any other security suggestions? Ever hear of security film for the glass? Thanks.

Re: Alarm System

The Sprinter I will be ordering on Monday has a system with glass breakage sensors. I think it means the film that you are speaking of with some sort of electronic attachment.

I can't make a recommendation for brand, but look for glass sensors and something that looks for electricity drop (if someone cuts or kills the battery connection). Maybe something that lights all the err...lights upon an alarm. of course a loud horn is needed and forcible motion sensors.

how about passive security? like tamperproof external locks and city fencing installed on the insides of the windows?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

A good car thief can defeat most alarms pretty fast. If you are concerned about safeguarding your tools inside, I suggest strong hasps and big heat treated locks in addition to an alarm. A well hidden ignition "kill" switch wil also slow them down unless they just flatbed the vehicle. You must go beyond what the mainstream offers because it is what thieves are schooled on and familiar with. Frank

Comment

Besides an alarm I did find the external door locks and the wire screen for the windows. I think I'll order these first for extra protection. Maybe also bold down a lock box inside the van for power tools.

Comment

Good idea on the lock box. Slow them down, make them work for their crime. Just remember those safeguards are only good if you use them, the strongest lock is of no use left open.

Comment

Does LoJack offer any kind of alarm system that ties into their theft recovery unit?
            Or maybe a vehicle alarm, either factory installed or aftermarket can be connected
            to trigger the LoJack to report a break-in or the vehicle being struck or a tow attempt
            in progress if it does not already do so.

I would think a system that had its own battery kept charged by the vehicle and used the
            cell phone PDS system to send alarms/receive commands would give you near instantaneous
            reports. If you are in a home and someone is messing with your truck out on the street
            you will know right away. If its night time or during your off hours it could be programmed
            notify police first then call you with an automated report.

Seems pretty easy to do in todays world so I think if I can dream it its probably already out
            there somewhere.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I've always kept tools under heavy locks on the van doors and the more expensive tools inside the locked cabinets. NONE of that mattered when a few years ago someone stole the entire van out of my driveway. A fully lettered van with a ladder rack loaded with tools never found..... NOTHING! The wierd thing is; the city police call ME every few months and ask if I've recovered any of the tools...WTF???

A Lojack system would have been nice but to do that for an entire fleet would be really expensive. It was weeks before I could sleep soundly enough without waking up and going to look out the window.

Just be sure you are fully insured and ask questions from your provider. Had my van been parked on the street in front of my house where I sometimes left it and not in my driveway, there would have been NO payout for the tools, only what the van was worth.

Stop and think what it would do to your way of life to wake up one day and have NOTHING.

Comment

I`d do what frank says get secure lock up boxes and get a good engine emmobilizer and only use your truck for work not plesure and never park your truck outside at night but in a lock up garage if your not willing to do this then just open the rear doors of your new sprinter with a big sign up with FREE TOOLS TAKE WHAT YOU WISH

Tony

Comment

I saw an article once that detailed the perfect setup. If someone jacked a door with the system armed, it didn't utter a peep. It instead silently activated an electronic timer. Thirty seconds after entering the vehicle, the perpetrator was greeted by a combination of an exploding dye pack and industrial strength pepper spray. Didn't prevent entry, just made the perp pretty easy to spot. You just better never forget to disarm before entering yourself.
                  "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    ... just open the rear doors of your new sprinter with a big sign up with FREE TOOLS TAKE WHAT YOU WISH
                    American made cargo vans have the same lame locking mechanism as passenger vehicles. They are easily broken with pry bars. European cargo vans, such as the Sprinter, have rods that also drive into the body frame. I drove an '04 model where someone had failed to open the side door with a prybar. The frame was mangled but the door stayed shut and locked.

Not everyone has access to, nor the funds to build, a building large enough to house a vehicle that may be 9 or 10 feet high. Even so, the building would also have to be heavily guarded, just as any vehicle. Also, lots of people/companies don't have the funds to buy a vehicle that is 3-4 times the cost of a standard cargo vehicle, just for safety's sake. My vehicle has always been in the driveway, locked, with the yard light just about on it. The local crackhead thief lives up the road. No problems in 13 years. Lighting is a good deterrent.

If a crook wants you stuff there is no end they will not use to get it.
                    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

We always get Lojack on our trucks, but no alarm systems anymore.

Comment

Poor Man's truck Locator. Keep the Batteries charged on an old cell phone. Hide it in Your truck , turned on . Your carrier will find Your truck !
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'll have to keep a van outside for a few months. So I think I'll do the extra door locks and the window screens for sure. Also put in extra security lighting and install a heavy duty lock box in the van for valuable tools. I know that I'll take some inside such as propress etc. After reading I just don't think an expensive alarm is worth it. Oh, and NRA stickers on the windows! LOL

Comment

Here's mine. 124 lbs, sharp teeth and a nasty disposition.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                              Here's mine. 124 lbs, sharp teeth and a nasty disposition.
                              The cat doesn't seem impressed by his nasty disposition

Comment

Working...
                              X