Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you want to be when you grow up?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you want to be when you grow up?

Even at age 5 this kindergarten graduate has dreams of joining the trades.

Heck, I was 12 before I knew what I wanted

Kindergartner wows the crowd with future aspirations | Cleaner Magazine | Jetter, Vactor, Sewer Cleaning Professionals

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: what do you want to be when you grow up?

Smart Kid

Comment

Josh, are your kids sewer pros yet?

Are they fascinated with all the camera gear yet?

Are they drum or sectional

Phoebe loves to help me at the job. Heck she even has joey fipping pages of my trade magzines.

Who knows, she just might be a piper afterall

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

No hesitation! I have to think this little guy's Dad did not come home and complain about his day's work. Dad probably told an interesting story once in a while, maybe Grandpa had some stories as well? I'm still working on what I wanna be when I grow up

Comment

" I'm still working on what I wanna be when I grow up" Oh, so that explains it!!!!(Just funnin', Frankie)

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            " I'm still working on what I wanna be when I grow up" Oh, so that explains it!!!!(Just funnin', Frankie)
            Ain't that the truth!

Comment

When I grow up I want to be one of those miserably rich guys!
              You know the type..really really miserably rich!!!!!

The type we all envy, and the one the news media attacks because he has 10 houses and 40
              TOTO toilets instead of a wood building with a splintered seat and flies!

Being a miserable wealthy guy I would have the freedom to give to the real charities like
              wounded warriors, disabled Veterans, etc....although personally I really think our
              government should pick up the tab and support our troops 100%.

It's OK for them to take our youth and put them in harm's way but if they return wounded or
              broken the government simply takes them out to the trash heap..that's plain wrong!

Everyone says "money won't buy happiness" Well I really would like to try that for a while,
              as not having "surplus money" is not something that makes me happy!

I am willing to sacrifice happiness for a while to see what being filthy rich would be like.

I always wondered how it would feel to have an off shore account full of money, or
              own an island.

I did send my Senator [John McCain] and asked him for a favor...

I told him since they use money terms like Billion and Trillion, and the
              news media consider Millions as "chump change" as well as those in political office.

I requested he add my name at the bottom of any bill indicating I am to receive
              a million dollars...As we all understand that's chump change and is meaningless.

So one simple sentence slipped into thousands of pages of double speak...
              How difficult would that be anyway?

So far he has not replied!

Cactus Man

Comment

I wonder how many people actually get to do or be, what they want to be "when they grow up"?

I think my Dad wanted me to follow him into the trades, as I used to HAVE to go with him on his week-end plumbing and heating jobs. While today I'm grateful for the things I absorbed from him, I was always bored with having to do so. Mostly it was a matter of "fetching", and very little was allowed in the way of actual work. Though I did learn to cut and thread pipe, solder joints, make duct work and dampners, and things like that. I even caulked and leaded sewer pipe. Making new stuff was okay and even sort of enjoyable, but I absoluted hated fixing old plumbing.

When I found I couldn't get into the service, my Dad took me to the Union Hall on the morning after I returned and dropped me off with instructions to see some guy. I waited for him to leave and then I left, finding a job as a bus boy in a local restaurant, and then later a factory job, night school, and then starting my career as an illustrator. I know Dad was disappointed in me and even angry in the days following my 'walk away', but I've always been a guy who preferred to find his own path.

Funny though, as while I liked to draw, one couldn't get a drafting job without "experience". A "Catch-22" because two years of high school drafting doesn't count. But it was in fact MY DAD, who saw the article in the Sunday paper about the NY Manpower Training Program for tool designers, and pointed it out to me. If it wasn't for him, I would have never seen it and thus who knows what I would have ended up doing. As it was, that night-time program in tool design led me to the job as a Techinical Illustrator and a more than forty year career that I am very proud of.

Along with that, it was my "background" and experience from my Dad, that gave me an edge as an illustrator. I knew most of the mechanics of how things worked, connected, and the importance of measuring and fitting. As a techinical illustrator it was the knowing of such things that let me communicate with Engineers and product service people and then to build, on paper, whatever needed to be illustrated and to write instructions that could be easily understood.

But, it's funny that some of us never find the perfect fit and just end up doing whatever "comes down the road", like it or not. I tell young people, don't look at job titles (like I want to be an "Engineer" or "Doctor" or whatever... find something you really love to do, and see if you can make a career out of that. You have to spend most of your life doing this, and you certainly don't want to be bored, or embarrassed, or hateful of the "daily grind"... love what you do, and do what you love.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  When I grow up I want to be one of those miserably rich guys!
                  You know the type..really really miserably rich!!!!!

The type we all envy, and the one the news media attacks because he has 10 houses and 40
                  TOTO toilets instead of a wood building with a splintered seat and flies!

Being a miserable wealthy guy I would have the freedom to give to the real charities like
                  wounded warriors, disabled Veterans, etc....although personally I really think our
                  government should pick up the tab and support our troops 100%.

It's OK for them to take our youth and put them in harm's way but if they return wounded or
                  broken the government simply takes them out to the trash heap..that's plain wrong!

Everyone says "money won't buy happiness" Well I really would like to try that for a while,
                  as not having "surplus money" is not something that makes me happy!

I am willing to sacrifice happiness for a while to see what being filthy rich would be like.

I always wondered how it would feel to have an off shore account full of money, or
                  own an island.

I did send my Senator [John McCain] and asked him for a favor...

I told him since they use money terms like Billion and Trillion, and the
                  news media consider Millions as "chump change" as well as those in political office.

I requested he add my name at the bottom of any bill indicating I am to receive
                  a million dollars...As we all understand that's chump change and is meaningless.

So one simple sentence slipped into thousands of pages of double speak...
                  How difficult would that be anyway?

So far he has not replied!

Cactus Man
                  Nothing "miserable" about being rich and helping others by spreading the wealth. Look at mayor blumberg of NYC, multibillionaire and cheap as they come! I saw him on tv at some school fundraiser, he picked up a cannoli and paid the one dollar. Come on, if that was me I would have handed over a hundred dollar bill and said keep the change. I would like nothing more than to be wealthy and give big money to things like Wounded Warriors, and other groups that help folks who have sacrificed for us. Miserable is not sharing. Frank

Comment

Frank,

I totally agree... I think "miserably" rich is only because of a lack of "character" and a state of mind which renders the holder as selfish and greedy. There is so much that can be done, even if you only have a little extra! Having Millions, would probably be one of the nicest things for so many, as their generosity would be a blessing and a way to enormous happiness, I would think.

But, I also see some major 'stinginess' with many people too. It seems that the more they have, or the more good fortune they have, the more stingy they become. It's sort of sad when I see people who seem 'untouched' by the normal bad breaks that too many people get. They have jobs that never get touched by layoff's, never even get a cold, or have an injury; and yet, to hear them talk they are miserable and "nobody knows the trouble they've seen" (usually because they've seen no trouble). Yet, they've never contributed to anything; volunteered for anything; or even given a thought to anyone else's misfortune.

Regarding Mayor Bloomberg, I don't know the man. My understanding is that he is quite "tight", but yet is also quite generous in his charitable contributions. (I could be wrong though). I do know that dishing out big bills and doing the "keep the change" kind of thing, isn't necessarily received as "generosity"... but more often as "showing off", especially if it is in front of others, especially News cameras... so I would necessarily judge the man on that.

CWS

Comment

Truly inspiring! What I like most is how sincere the child is with his answer. It might seem funny at first but then you realize later on how truly wonderful it is the way children have no biases or prejudices.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                        Frank,

I totally agree... I think "miserably" rich is only because of a lack of "character" and a state of mind which renders the holder as selfish and greedy. There is so much that can be done, even if you only have a little extra! Having Millions, would probably be one of the nicest things for so many, as their generosity would be a blessing and a way to enormous happiness, I would think.

But, I also see some major 'stinginess' with many people too. It seems that the more they have, or the more good fortune they have, the more stingy they become. It's sort of sad when I see people who seem 'untouched' by the normal bad breaks that too many people get. They have jobs that never get touched by layoff's, never even get a cold, or have an injury; and yet, to hear them talk they are miserable and "nobody knows the trouble they've seen" (usually because they've seen no trouble). Yet, they've never contributed to anything; volunteered for anything; or even given a thought to anyone else's misfortune.

Regarding Mayor Bloomberg, I don't know the man. My understanding is that he is quite "tight", but yet is also quite generous in his charitable contributions. (I could be wrong though). I do know that dishing out big bills and doing the "keep the change" kind of thing, isn't necessarily received as "generosity"... but more often as "showing off", especially if it is in front of others, especially News cameras... so I would necessarily judge the man on that.

CWS
                        CWS, I think I might not know enough about the truly wealthy folks who we might agree could be more generous. Can you imagine how many worthwhile causes and needy people are looking for support? Where do these wealthy folks start, how do they choose who to help and what about all the folks pressuring them? Then you have government regulations, I heard some talk during one of those Powerball drawings that you can only donate a certain percentage each year before you run into problems. In all fairness there are plenty of wealthy folks who do donate, share their time and money to benefit others. I wish there were more generous folks, and I wish I could do more.

Comment

Working...
                        X