Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth a Watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=B5ELyG9V1SY

Re: Worth a Watch

This is why I am a proponent of "less than lethal" weapons such as mace and (My personal favorite) tazers. However in Mass, women can no longer carry mace with them for some strange reason.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
      This is why I am a proponent of "less than lethal" weapons such as mace and (My personal favorite) tazers. However in Mass, women can no longer carry mace with them for some strange reason.
      I know why, Liberals.
      26+6=1

Comment

" Ted kennedys car killed more people than my guns "
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          " Ted kennedys car killed more people than my guns "
          If cars were hurting people, the government would outlaw them

Comment

Alcohol kills more people/year than guns do.

High Fructose Corn Syrup in your food kills more people than guns do per year.

If we had honest numbers we would probably find that testing and talking on the
            phone while driving kills more people than guns each year.

You should have to undergo a thorough background check before each alcohol purchase with a three day waiting period.

You should have to sign a waiver that you will not make a medical claim because you had a heart attack or develop some
            other life-threatening medical condition from consuming massive quantities of HFCS.

People who are caught texting or using their cell phones while driving SHALL lose their drivers license for one year on first offense; 3 years on 2nd offense, and for life on the third offense. However, if any two offenses occur within 12 months of each other, then it is automatically lifetime loss of driving privileges. AND, since this is universal across the country because it is a federal offense, you lose your right to drive in ALL 50 states.

Those who buy beer, wine, and spirits will now need to get a Booze Buyers ID Card. It will have your photo on it and must be renewed every 5 years. you will have to undergo a psychological evaluation before you can buy any alcohol. If you are eating out you must show your ID card to consume alcohol at that establishment or the owner could lose his license and be fined and you could go to jail.

Ditto the alcohol rules for ALL tobacco products. This includes cigarettes, cigars, chew, pipe tobacco, etc.

Parents and kids who use violent video games must also undergo evaluation and obtain a ID card to purchase these products.

When they institute these rules nationwide, AND give them a couple years to take hold (IF they last that long) and show NO change in the death rate, THEN they might have some grounds to impose new gun laws.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

You guys are just so logical, I'm astounded. Just yesterday, we discovered two people in our city who were the victims of a break-in and both were found "texted" to death by the perpetrator. I'm also now left wondering how very often I've seen or read about a mass killing in a theater from some nut who ran down a couple of dozen people by charging thier car down the aisle. Or that political rally in which a half-dozen people were killed by the corn-syrup attack. Or maybe it was all those little smiling faces in an elementary school that were slaughtered by some insane person and smoked and alchoholed to death in a matter of minutes!

Yep, these kind of statistics really make everyone proud of the fact that guns are more important than any other Right that we have. That any one and everyone should have thier choice of owning and using a weapon in our free society and that no restrictions should be made and no background checks should be in order. Purely logical and right thinking!

Mapping the Dead: Gun Deaths Since Sandy Hook

It's really sad that we can't even have a logical discussion of this.

CWS

Comment

CWS, the discussions or arguments are illogical and highly emotional. The point most here are making is that so many lives could be saved that have nothing to do with gun violence, but they are not! I don't know how many lives would be saved by background checks, but it's certainly worth pursuing. Unfortunately a background check would not have stopped the newtown, ct tragedy because the shooter would not have applied for the weapons. We have people who will pass background checks and not properly secure their weapons from children or unstable people who have access to them. Sure obesity, bad diet, bad habits like smoking and not exercising kills people and hits all of us in the wallet, but right now we don't legislate to address these things. Why is it so unreasonable to legislate more harsh penalities for the careless behavior that leads to more deaths than gun violence? This reminds me of shark week on tv, everyone has that terrible fear of being killed by a shark and the media exploits it when in reality a hand full of folks die from shark attacks. Far more people die from bee stings and such. A few scumbags looking for fame, stop short innocent lives in a very dramatic fashion and a willing media has a field day. The media actually is somewhat responsible for copycat shooters. Meanwhile the countless lives ruined or cut short by irresponsible drives goes unnoticed for the most part, just not spectacular or shocking enough. I say do it all if it will save lives, but don't think killing with a car is any less deadly or final for the victims or their loved ones. Frank

Comment

You are right, Frankie--except that killing with a car is, for the most part, accidental. Killing with a gun isn't. ( Yes, I know some are, but not the majority)

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    You are right, Frankie--except that killing with a car is, for the most part, accidental. Killing with a gun isn't. ( Yes, I know some are, but not the majority)
                    Kid, how much more education do folks need in order to define death by distracted driver (cell phone, texting, drunk, drugged up, or otherwise impaired) "not" an accident? The victims are still dead, just can't glorify the killer!

Comment

I think you miss my point, which is that there are so many other things out there which are killing way more people than guns in the hands of idiots, and that we CAN do something about all those other deaths but we, as a society, choose not to because we fail to see these as threats because they are most times chronic causes and not acute like a gunshot. The companies that makes those products (foods, drugs, alcohol, etc.) all have lobbies as strong as the NRA but people fail to acknowledge this.
                      If we are trying to prevent senseless deaths why are we not attacking all those causes and not just guns? How many of those 300 pound teens do you think will make it to 45 without serious medical problems? And if they do what king of a life will they have? I am not picking on people who are overweight here I am talking about how they got to that condition. I doubt it was because they wanted to. Why is it OK for Pepsi or Coke to supply our schools with their poison at reduced prices (to get kids 'hooked' on soda) but its not OK to sell drugs on the corner in front of the school? One kills a little faster than the other, but in the end there is not difference, the kid is still dead.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        Is it accidental if one chooses to do something other than focus on driving. That is a conscience decision made with the full knowledge that allowing yourself to do something other than driving could lead to you not having control of your vehicle and causing a death. That to me is not an accident. You may not have intended to kill someone, but you certainly pulled the trigger (allowed yourself to be distracted). If someone gets in the way of the bullet (car) you fired, are you not at fault for the injury or death resulting from that bullet?
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          Is it accidental if one chooses to do something other than focus on driving. That is a conscience decision made with the full knowledge that allowing yourself to do something other than driving could lead to you not having control of your vehicle and causing a death. That to me is not an accident. You may not have intended to kill someone, but you certainly pulled the trigger (allowed yourself to be distracted). If someone gets in the way of the bullet (car) you fired, are you not at fault for the injury or death resulting from that bullet?
                          Good points, Bob. However, the auto manufacturers are
                          constantly striving to make their vehicles safer (some because of laws) while gun manufacturers keep coming with weapons that kill faster, more and are easier to reload. We pass laws mandating safety in other areas, why not this one? As i said in an earlier post, I own a number of guns, have a permit to carry, and support the 2nd amendment. I don't believe that I or anyone else should have weapons that are originally designed for war. Pretty soon we will have people running around with rocket launchers to hunt rabbits.
                          Last edited by Pipestone Kid; 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM. Reason: misprint

Comment

Bob,

I got your point, but I found it, personally, to be an illogical comparison. While the automobile is surely one of the biggest killers, it's design and use is NOT for that purpose. To drive, you must be of a certain age, you must be licensed, and you are in fact registered and monitored and a record is kept of your driving infranctions and that record is available on a national basis. Likewise, your car is required to be inspected and on each and every trip there are "monitors" in the form of cameras and/or police, and even other drivers who will report any possible dangers that you may present... and can because your registration plates are demanded to be properly affixed and visible to all. Fines are increasingly stiff, and the vehicles themselves are under constant improvement with recalls, service checks, etc.

Absolutely none of this occurs with guns. IN fact, there are no safety checks, no monitoring of your useage, your abilities, or even the age at which you are allowed. Gun manufacturing, marketing, and even safety is exempt from any consumer laws. The "2nd Amendment Right" to arms has been warped to a point where even the safety of the weapon is shielded from any consumer laws that might otherwise protect the purchaser and the owner.

But you are correct of course in that we have many things here in the U.S. which contribute to the death of our citizens. Some are self-induced and some are just plain collateral damage in our ever-increasing greed to cheapen the product, be it food, toy, or appliance. WE THE PEOPLE, have the right to slowly murder ourselves in our bad habits, our own stupidity, our lust for pleasures, and our right to glutteny.... ever so sadly, too many accept no responsibility for it, and then blame those who put the stuff on the shelves and on the menus. Likewise, we show no responsibility in the use of the toys and tools and vehicles we buy and much prefer to place all the blame on the manufacturer for not making them absolutely "idiot-proof". Even more wasteful perhaps, is that in the midst of our dying, we want everyone else to pay for our medical care, it matters not that we may have eaten, smoked, and drank ourselves to death, or refused to exercise our bodies to the extent that they are no longer exercisable! We let ourselves deteriorate past the point of recovery and then we want others, to pick up the cost of our invalid care.

BUT, while the death rates from all of these may be higher... none of it is compared to the intent and efficiency of a firearm. And there, we have no regulation, no checks, no overseeing of safety, no limitation on consumption, and certainly no "health-check" or "inspection" concerning it's purpose, handling, storage, modification, or much of anything else.

In this disagreement, no personal affront toward you was or is intended, as you are certainly one of the forum members that I greatly respect.

CWS
                            Last edited by CWSmith; 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Franki,

While I do agree that the mother acquired the weapons "legally", and that therefore it can be said that this "legal" ownership and the laws did not and could not have stopped this massacre. BUT, I respectfully disagree that the law, as it exists, was enough or even carried out properly!

Here we have a woman who within the law purchased several weapons. The question I have is, "Where were the background checks?" And more to the point, should she have been allowed to purchase such weapons without purpose, and should the background check be so shallow that we are only concerned with a matter of "no criminal offense record", or should we be looking at other things.

After all, her son had a record of mental health... should that not flag concerns of safety and opened the door for deeper investigation? Should we not be looking at situations, both with regards to purpose of the weapons, the security of their storage, and the exposure of such things as regarding the safety of the young man and the household itself. Should we have not been legally concerned for the proximity and availability of these weapons, violent behaviour, and even the violent entertainment and weapons practice in the accompanyment of his mother? And should not the gun community in itself paid attention to this member? Afterall, if I see the 14 year old neighbor kid driving his family's car up and down the driveway, doesn't that raise some concerns about the parent and the safety of the child, and to the people who walk that sidewalk?

Listen, I am not against gun ownership and I even find myself questioning the wisdom of banning "assault" weapons on a broad scale. However, there must be some balance, for the safety of society in general, and certainly to the safety of our law enforcement officials. One might wish to argue that an assault weapon CAN be used for hunting, but generally that is not the purpose, nor is it the most efficient appliance for that purpose. More my thinking is that there is a certain attraction to these things and it is mostly to that end that we wish to own them. Hey, they are fun to shoot, plain and simple! (Mind you, I'm not making fun or belittling that mindset, it is a long recognized part of being male... mentally we are attracted to weaponry, right along with uniforms, medals, flags, cool cars, tools and other badges of honor that our male instincts yearn for, it is what it is and we are all part of that... it is also very much part of being a young man, and some of us never grow old in that respect.)

What I find very distasteful however is the FEAR that is constantly being promoted as justification for such weapons, for high-capacity magazines, and for a total hindrance of regulation, control, and other governances. In the face of the massacres that we continue to see, we really need to mature our thinking and step up to ensure the safety of our children and our communities. To that end, I am fully for background checks, and I am fully for regulating purpose. Buying and owning a high-velocity weapon of any kind, or an assault weapon, without a defined purpose and extensive background and security checks is just stupid. And I'll go so far as to say that while a guy living in a rural area might well pass such muster, the same guy living in the city on a 60 ft wide lot should have restrictions put on his ownership (like yeah, but you must keep it at the gun club or range... in the city, you'll surely shoot your neighbor's eye out).

To go along with that, a licensed hunter may well have purpose and thus possesion, but a guy living in an apartment, never hunted, and has no purpose except his FEAR and possible paranoia should be restricted as to what, weapons he may possess. In his or her case, a weapon for personal defense and defense of property is totally respected, but it must be appropriate to the purpose, with respect to collateral damage and downrange, background fatality.

The point is, weapons we have a guaranteed right to... but NOT any weapon! And weapons of certain types and potentials need to be restricted for the safety of the rest of us.

CWS
                              Last edited by CWSmith; 03-24-2013, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X