X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Battery, what to do help???

i see alot of people upset or having problems with there cordless powertool batteries, can blame some of them for being up set since some of the batteries cost as much as the tool. Now i wouldnt do this since im a big scaredy cat, but not everyone has money to spend on replacement batteries, and theres nothing worse then having expensive power tools laying around with no way to power them. NOW THIS IS FOR NON LITH batteries only. you can find online how to fix most of them at home, 80 percent of the fix is sodering back the connection that came loose between each cell. But i would suggest from now on buying kits so the battery is included in the warranty or check ebay or amazon for used ones, they are usualy a third of the price of a new one, but beware, make sure if you use ebay that u check the full description, had a freind buy two batteries for 8 bucks apeice, and come to find out if he had checked all the details it would have told him AS IS/NON-WORKING/FOR PARTS ONLY LOL. What i do sometimes is go to a pawn shop. everyone sees a tool they want but really dont want to spend the money to buy something they will rarely use. For example, i wanted a ridgid cordless circular saw but couldnt realy see spending the money for something ill use very little, so a day came about that my 18v battery quit on me so i when to the pawnshop, and there attached to a ridgid circular saw was my 18v battery, so i got my battery and saw for less then what it would have cost me for just a brand new battery its self.

Re: Bad Battery, what to do help???

I think you see some of the people who are upset about their batteries posting on these forums but I find the majority of those rant threads are from people who have cut corners and have gotten lazy with registering and now want someone else to blame. Sure there are a few that have a legitimate complaint and for those, you usually see a Ridgid rep post in the thread for the customer to contact them but overall it's usually people complaining about not getting something after they messed up. I personally don't see it as being a lot of people or perceive it to be this exaggerated rampant problem. In fact you can also find numerous post on here complimenting the company on providing a positive experience for those who needed to get a battery replaced.

Pawn shop batteries, used batteries etc, I've never had any luck with those at all. Same as Ebay, I recommend avoiding them all together unless they are dirt cheap because once they break/wearout you are back to square one. If you want to get cheap batteries buy a few kits when they go on sale and sell your old tools or the items you don't need.

Comment

i agree, but who in this day and age remember the good things said about Ridgid over the bad. ive had good luck so far at the pawnshop. and i know batteries fail sometimes, alot have to do with not reading the instructions, when it says let the battery fully die before charging, then theres a reason. seems to me that the real reason for the hate posts is not that they are made the battery didnt last long, its more of a money thing. everyone loves good tools and when u buy a new one that is usually out of the price range you normaly would buy, then u get pissed no matter what goes wrong with it because you really couldnt afford it in the first place and now cant afford the replacement. either way im trying to get a few different suggestions to help those people out. EZPAWN is were i go, its a large company, and they give a warranty on there tools, depending on the item you get 2weeks to a month.

Comment

Originally posted by vangor View Post
        i agree, but who in this day and age remember the good things said about Ridgid over the bad. ive had good luck so far at the pawnshop. and i know batteries fail sometimes, alot have to do with not reading the instructions, when it says let the battery fully die before charging, then theres a reason. seems to me that the real reason for the hate posts is not that they are made the battery didnt last long, its more of a money thing. everyone loves good tools and when u buy a new one that is usually out of the price range you normaly would buy, then u get pissed no matter what goes wrong with it because you really couldnt afford it in the first place and now cant afford the replacement. either way im trying to get a few different suggestions to help those people out. EZPAWN is were i go, its a large company, and they give a warranty on there tools, depending on the item you get 2weeks to a month.
        You can count me as a person who remembers the good things said about Ridgid As a user of these tools I often share my experiences with others regarding the tools I own and while I've had a few issues here and there, the majority of my experiences have been good. I do read comments where people have had issues, some are valid and some are just nonsense so I compare the comments to my own experiences with the brand and I tuck the info away in case a tool I own one day encounters similar problems. I would like to add that when I have encountered problems in the past, the customer service have been top notch and respectful in getting my problems resolved.

You must be talking about Ni-Cad because Lith-Ion do not have a memory like Ni-Cad, therefore they do not need to be fully discharged before recharging. It is a good idea however to fully charge them before the first use and to keep them at half charge if you are going to store them for an extended period of time.

I agree, most disappointment stems from a money issue. Having said that, making the right decision to invest in new tools which a person then "registers properly" in the beginning can save a person more money in the long run vs buying used half priced batteries. Properly registered batteries cost the consumer next to nothing (gas and travel to the tool centre) to replace so in that case, again, making the right choices from the get go can save a person a lot of disappointment and money in the long run. Personally I can't fault Ridgid if a disappointment customer forgot to register for the LSA or if that customer can't get their secondhand tools replaced for free.

Comment

yep quality tools save you money in the end, and make sure to get your warranty done, problem is no one reads anything any more, they just plug it in and ***** when theres a problem. An those with money issues. If you dont use a tool very much , like u need a drill to hang a mirror but never needed one before for anything, i suggest a discount store, pawnshop, or classifies. why spend 100 plus on a tool you will use once.

Comment

Originally posted by vangor View Post
            yep quality tools save you money in the end, and make sure to get your warranty done, problem is no one reads anything any more, they just plug it in and ***** when theres a problem. An those with money issues. If you dont use a tool very much , like u need a drill to hang a mirror but never needed one before for anything, i suggest a discount store, pawnshop, or classifies. why spend 100 plus on a tool you will use once.

If you are only going to use it once then why buy cordless? Wouldn't a corded version be better suited as there would be no battery issues to contend with?

Comment

Working...
            X