Suggestions for Ridgid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Ridgid

Post something u think could make Ridgid hand and power tools better. Please no bad mouthing, Dont say there batteries suck, just state the problem or a suggestion to could make things better. Ill start, ive been reading tons of posts all over, so ill bring up a few things. What i feel would Make Ridgid more popular. 1. cover all cordless batteries under lifetime warranty no matter if they were bought in a kit or seperate. 2. Make registration more simple{ one step online or phone call.} 3. make away that no matter who purchased the tool, anyone can look to see if it was registered, without having to have any information other then whats on the tool, and make this accessable for online use. 4.since homedepot is the major seller of ridgid to us common folks. is there not away they can register the product there. im sure if walmart can register warranties for there stuff, home depot can. 5. to keep custumers coming back, how about offering customers a percentage off new tools when they bring in old ones 3t0-5 years old towards the same type of tool. its a win win, you make more then your dicount you give by refurbishing the old tools and selling them. Plus u keep custumers happyand pick up new ones that buy the used tools that normally wouldnt because of cost. black and decker and skill are popular because us poor folks can afford them.so a used ridgid tool thats affordable to those that need to watch every dollar would be ideal and it would spread the brand name amoung us.
    PLease post your suggestions
    Closing thoughts...craftsman,dwalt,,steel are all brands that when you hear the name you think the best of the best,alot of it has to do with warranties and ease of replacement. For example, when you can buy a craftman tool and know that no matter what, no questions asked, and with no registration or receipt needed on our part, that that hand or power tool aslong as its not gas or air powered will be replaced says something, its says its built to last, and we care that you choose to buy our product.
    Ridgid isnt really a house hold name, but it can be, if u stand behide your tools then show that by making thing easier, that means somekind of one step registration or non at all,and to cover all batteries,u could go as far as using the old refubished tools u got traded in, keep some of them in the tool rental area to be used as a free loaner while theres is being fixed.
    i like Ridgid tools, i just want to make th brand better

Re: Suggestions for Ridgid

Originally posted by vangor View Post
    1. cover all cordless batteries under lifetime warranty no matter if they were bought in a kit or seperate.

2. Make registration more simple{ one step online or phone call.}

3. make away that no matter who purchased the tool, anyone can look to see if it was registered, without having to have any information other then whats on the tool, and make this accessable for online use.

4.since homedepot is the major seller of ridgid to us common folks. is there not away they can register the product there. im sure if walmart can register warranties for there stuff, home depot can.

5. to keep custumers coming back, how about offering customers a percentage off new tools when they bring in old ones 3t0-5 years old towards the same type of tool. its a win win, you make more then your dicount you give by refurbishing the old tools and selling them. Plus u keep custumers happyand pick up new ones that buy the used tools that normally wouldnt because of cost. black and decker and skill are popular because us poor folks can afford them.so a used ridgid tool thats affordable to those that need to watch every dollar would be ideal and it would spread the brand name amoung us.

PLease post your suggestions
    Closing thoughts...craftsman,dwalt,,steel are all brands that when you hear the name you think the best of the best,alot of it has to do with warranties and ease of replacement. For example, when you can buy a craftman tool and know that no matter what, no questions asked, and with no registration or receipt needed on our part, that that hand or power tool aslong as its not gas or air powered will be replaced says something, its says its built to last, and we care that you choose to buy our product.
    Ridgid isnt really a house hold name, but it can be, if u stand behide your tools then show that by making thing easier, that means somekind of one step registration or non at all,and to cover all batteries,u could go as far as using the old refubished tools u got traded in, keep some of them in the tool rental area to be used as a free loaner while theres is being fixed.
    i like Ridgid tools, i just want to make th brand better
    1 - I agree with this. It make no sense to pay $70 to $130 for a battery and not have it covered. Yet kit batteries, which I am sure have less markup gets covered.

2 - I don't find the registration complicated. It takes a bit of time because the tools have such long serial numbers but all in, I can register an x4 kit in roughly 15 to 20 minutes. The reason for having to mail in the upc and receipt is to prove what was bought on what date etc. Without this step how would the company avoid people registering tools purchased second hand?

3 - The only reason I can see for this request would be if the person now holding the tool needs to get it warrantied and is hoping it will be covered under the previous owners registration. pesciwasp posted in a thread that Ridgid will honour warranties based on date code. If this is true than I don't see any reason for Ridgid to let people see if a tool was previously registered or not. Does anyone know if a tool was previously registered, if you would need the customer service number associated with that tool in order to get it serviced under the three year warranty?

4 - Homedepot sells tens of thousands of different types of products. There is no way they could take the time to help each customer register their products.

5 - When I want to buy a new tool I sell my old ones on Kijiji for free. I then use that money towards new tools. I personally think it would be a logistical nightmare if they were to have a buyback on used tools such as this. Not only would they need to be inspected to gauge value, they would also need to hire people to either refurbish or resell these used tools. When all these cost are taken into consideration, it is probably cheaper for Ridgid to purchase a new tool from the supplier than buy back a used tool and invest all the time in refurbishing and reselling. The cosmetic wear alone I am sure would turn off most perspective customers.

When I think of the best of the best in terms of powertools I do not include STHIL or craftsman in that list. (Does STHIL even make cordless powertools? I know they make gas powered but haven't seen any powertools.)

Don't get me wrong, craftsman has a few tools which are good but so do brands like Hauseman, Mastercraft, Bosch, Porter Cable and Black and Decker. Overall though, the quality and ruggedness just isn't there like other brands.

When I think of the best of the best I think of brands like Milwaukee, Dewalt, Ridgid then Makita, and in that order. In fact for me, if it weren't for the LSA than Ridgid would fall behind Makita. Value wise, the LSA makes Ridgid the most attractive in my opinion because of the battery replacements.

Craftsman power tools have a 1 to 3 year warranty. Ridgid has the LSA... when it comes to standing behind the tools they offer, I think Ridgid wins that debate hands down. As for ease of warranty etc. From a business perspective it makes no sense to make any warranty work redicously easy to the point it removes accountability for trying to control cost. Personally if it's reasonable, I do not have a problem with it, providing proof of purchase etc is not unreasonable as far as I'm concerned and in effect helps curb the warranty liabilities associated with the secondary market where they make no money when those tools are sold or purchased again. It works for some companies because they charge so much from the beginning. $300 for $20 worth of sockets, $180 for a $60 drill... this is how some stores offer the no accountability warranties. They over charge from the get go in order to cover the cost later on. Also if you look at those tools, the warranty will exclude wear and tear warranties, batteries dieing, brushes wearing out etc where as Ridgid covers they parts in the LSA.

Ridgid is a household name for certain. I don't think you can find anyone in a trade that doesn't know the Ridgid name.

As for my suggestion for making Ridgid better then here are my suggestions.

1. Decrease the amount of time to process the LSA.
    2. Increase the variety of tools offered to match the variety of other brands
    3. Talk to HomeDepot and clear up the issue with using their tool rental centers as a hub for tool repair, returns etc. I've tried to get service before and I was told I could go to HomeDepot if they had a tool rental. When I got there they had no clue as to what I was talking about. When I got home I called Ridgid again and the person I spoke to said to have the HD store call them if they needed help figuring out what to do. I wasn't about to go into HD and argue to them that they should be doing it so in the end, because the tools were under the 90day satisfaction guarantee I just ended up returning it through HD customer service and buying another kit from the same store. I would have kept the old kit and just waited for the tool to be fixed but I just didn't have the time or desire to sort out what HD should be doing according to Ridgid.

Comment

My only suggestion would be that Ridge Tool/Emerson find a way to require TTI/OWT to participate or at the least acknowledge these Forums. As most of us who have been around for a bit already know, the vast majority of complaints posted here have to do with product made and sold by TTI/OWT and not Ridge Tool. Someone from TTI/OWT checking in every now and again or actually addressing an actual legitimate concern would go a long ways in improving customer relations.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

registration in store is easy, fill out a registration form at customer service desk, they enter in in the computer. at check out they ask for your phone number, they scan everything you buy and all products that can be registered for a warranty are sent threw the information highway to the company, alot of auto part stores do this, walmart does this, and hell my family dollar store does this. All it takes is a email from homedepot to there suppliers, and a responce back saying they would like to do the automated warranties. and wwho wouldnt, takes more time and money not do it. companies spend huge amounts of money on hiring call centers to handle costumers. i worked at one myself and handled calls for two major cell phone companies. 75 percent of my calls had to do with warranty. so u figure 300 phone opperaters not including managment and everything else 300 employee times $1200 a month ( starting pay). $360,000 a month or $4,320,000 a year. so u wonder why prices on things are high. Problem with companies is that they make everything complicated to save a buck, sure Ridgid's warranty isnt complicated for normal people, but after seeing all the phone centers out there, must mean there arent to many normal people. So Automate your systems, saves money and keeps more people happy.

Comment

Vangor, welcome to the Forum. Many of us have posted our thoughts about warranty issues, batteries, expanding the cordless tool line and such. I assume Ridgid is fine with business as usual because it limits their liability to exchange, repair or replace. Like most here I am very happy with my Ridgid cordless tools and have not only posted here requesting a more complete line such as offered by most other brands, but I have emailed Ridgid directly. There's no harm in trying, so best of luck, and enjoy the wonderful range of posts and good folks here. Frank

Comment

sorry about all the long story posts, use to be in the bussiness on increasing bussineses profits. whats weird is everyone believes quality is the first thing to making the money, when its not. IT use to , but now its costumers. now days a simple warranty isssue makes people hold a grudge and say screw you, im not doing business with you any more. why, people use to read there manuals and warranties, now the just plug it in and try and figure it out themselves. and when a problem comes about they get upset and blame the company. wontSo to Everyone that ownes a business, take care of your costumers, easiest why simplify everything you can even if it means doing some of it for them. because we all know they wont.

Comment

Working...
            X