X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Love The People Here!

I want to relate my experience today with the hvac-talk forum. I posted the exact same text from my post here about the chiller problem in their "Chiller Questions open forum". The VERY FIRST reply was from some guy accusing me of being an idiot hack with delusions of being a refrigeration tech because I have an EPA certification paper from some half hour course. The second guy made some crack about calling the guys that do that program on TV about custom aquariums. The third parroted the second guy. All because I prefaced my questions with an introduction (because I am new to their forum) and a statement of "I'm not a refrigeration expert".

I know I ask some questions that seem dumb. I know I've even said that some installations are hackery before I even realized that code dictated that installation. (Thanks to Rick for correcting my knowledge of Cali HWT tank installs.) He never once called me names or even used innuendo. I doubt I'll be a member of that other forum for very long, it seems all the real professionals reside here.

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: I Love The People Here!

imo the only dumb questions are those not asked;;;;;;which is a quote from one of our members

Comment

Oh, was that you........sorry
      sigpic

Comment

i truly believe this forum is a learning, sharing and teaching forum.

between the homeowners and contractors asking some real life questions and off the wall ones, we all learn and keep sharp.

those that want to learn and contribute will and do.

those that like to disrupt eventually find a new home.

glad to see you here plumber punky

rick.

right now there are 23 forum members online and 726 guest in the backround. not bad for a saturday afternoon.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-23-2013, 05:42 PM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick is a gentleman, knowledgable guy and not a "troll" looking to annoy someone! My buddy spent some time on a forum for mustang owners and whether it was a question or helpful comment he made, the responses were vicious. I have seen this one other forums as well. The difference here is the members and the moderators, who do not stand for such behavior. We can get on eachother once in a while but there is a line not to be crossed. Ridgid Forum, unique on the Internet.

Comment

I've calmed down a bit now... Rick is a prime example of someone willing to lend experience whenever necessary. He's a lot like me in lots of respects....goes out of his way to compliment and thank. I'm sure lots of people on here do this, too, but it appears he's more vociferous

My example - In my business, if I run across an older veteran....like Vietnam, WWII, etc. ... and they are nice to me, they not only get a handshake, a "thank you for the service that allows me to live this life", they also get a discount. The younger vets - Desert Storm, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. - sometimes act like they are "owed". At least in my area, it varies greatly, and is done on a case by case basis.

We poke and prod each other here. Most times it's done in jest, with the appropriate emoticons. Sometimes not, but it all works out. The retards who don't learn get banned, others learn and move on.

I just went back to that forum. Found another guy who said "no one reads profiles", though that's what their rules say you have to do: fill it out so people can see what you are. He also said I did them wrong by not going against their rules and puking out my entire job history in an open forum. HOWEVER, finally someone came out with some suggestions; something useful that I had not even thought about. That person was thanked by the link and in text. Ironically, it was someone with a very low post count - in the hundreds and not the multi-thousands.

No offense intended to those here who like to have their fingertips bleed
            ~~

Comment

Plumber Punky - you have not been on this forum very long but it does also suffer from a similar problem from time to time where a segment of plumbers on here tell non-plumbers who come on here to ask plumbing related question to hire a plumber and make assumptions about people's competence level. It seems like you have unfortunately experienced similar treatment on that HVAC forum.

I've not seen many of those post lately and hopefully they've gone away for good along with the chips on their shoulders. The good thing this is that most on here currently are very professional and helpful.

There is another plumbing forum around (plumbers only) and from what I see it is steeped with plumbers arguing with each other, whining about homeowners, racial stereotyping etc. Some people on here are also members there although it beats me why someone would want to join such a forum.

Luckily all the forums I belong to that cater to my interests are full of friendly and helpful folk.

Comment

They all suck !!!!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i truly believe this forum is a learning, sharing and teaching forum.

right now there are 23 forum members online and 726 guest in the backround. not bad for a saturday afternoon.
                  Sunday afternoon

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                    Plumber Punky - you have not been on this forum very long but it does also suffer from a similar problem from time to time where a segment of plumbers on here tell non-plumbers who come on here to ask plumbing related question to hire a plumber and make assumptions about people's competence level. It seems like you have unfortunately experienced similar treatment on that HVAC forum.

I've not seen many of those post lately and hopefully they've gone away for good along with the chips on their shoulders. The good thing this is that most on here currently are very professional and helpful.

There is another plumbing forum around (plumbers only) and from what I see it is steeped with plumbers arguing with each other, whining about homeowners, racial stereotyping etc. Some people on here are also members there although it beats me why someone would want to join such a forum.

Luckily all the forums I belong to that cater to my interests are full of friendly and helpful folk.
                    I always make the assumption that if you don't have a 600 classroom hours, 8000 hours On the job training and a ticket that says either journeyman or master then your level of ability is moot point. Just because someone knows which end of a screwdriver to apply does not even come close to competency. We are a licensed, permitted and regulated trade and giving free advice is nothing more that negligent and in many cases, dangerous. DIY forums undermine the entire purpose and intent of permitting and licensing which is to insure the health and safety of the public.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      I always make the assumption that if you don't have a 600 classroom hours, 8000 hours On the job training and a ticket that says either journeyman or master then your level of ability is moot point. Just because someone knows which end of a screwdriver to apply does not even come close to competency. We are a licensed, permitted and regulated trade and giving free advice is nothing more that negligent and in many cases, dangerous. DIY forums undermine the entire purpose and intent of permitting and licensing which is to insure the health and safety of the public.
                      I agree with this but remember also that some areas don't require licensing or insurance. I try to research where the person is from the information given at the upper right of their post. Based upon their local codes and what I can glean from their posts will I give information. A good example of this was the person in Florida with the electric tankless problem or the plumber in Buffalo,NY that didn't know that he needed a permit for HWT replacements.

Some municipalities where I am have instituted a one-time permit-tied homeowner license. I can see many good reasons to do this, and many bad ones, too. NY has an online affidavit process to waive insurances for homeowner use, among other things.

Many times, DIY and even licensed/professional/insured hackerism has kept us all in business.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      They all suck !!!!
                      Tool, you always make my day
                      ~~

Comment

To be honest, I read these forums sometimes and wonder how a guy with 600 classroom hours, 8000 hours on the job training and a ticket still doesn't get it. Then there are some who get it but feel a need to optimize their profits.
                        I think we need much more required continuing education.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Seriously, is it really necessary to have 600 classroom hours and 8000 hours of OJT in order to change out a Moen cartridge? Many areas of PHC do require that amount of training and there is no doubt about that but certainly not all. Just as many people are very capable of working on their vehicles without an ASE Certification many are also capable of changing out a faucet, toilet, sink, etc.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            To be honest, I read these forums sometimes and wonder how a guy with 600 classroom hours, 8000 hours on the job training and a ticket still doesn't get it. Then there are some who get it but feel a need to optimize their profits.
                            I think we need much more required continuing education.

Mark
                            No doubt. I teach the mandated re-certification seminars and I'm here to tell you that an awful lot of plumbers with masters tickets really should be downgraded to journeymen but even though there is some dead wood in the trade as a percentage it's pretty low and getting lower all the time.
                            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                              Seriously, is it really necessary to have 600 classroom hours and 8000 hours of OJT in order to change out a Moen cartridge? Many areas of PHC do require that amount of training and there is no doubt about that but certainly not all. Just as many people are very capable of working on their vehicles without an ASE Certification many are also capable of changing out a faucet, toilet, sink, etc.
                              Ummmmmm, yes, yes it is. I suppose that all that college and residency for doctors really ain't needed for probably 80% of the things folks go to the doctor for either. there are easy things in the trade and some hard things too. The code, and the law does not separate them, nor should they.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X