Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Korea

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
    A favorite saying of my beloved, late Father-in-law.... used to describe some the family members. He used to say it in Italian, and after hearing him say that a couple of times, I asked him what it meant. He was a very easy to get along with guy and I never once saw him raise his temper... but when someone would go out of their way to start an arguement, he'd grab my arm or give me a hug and wink, saying, "They'd cross the street to kick the dog!" and with that we'd go down to the shop or out on the patio and have a drink!

Some people are just that way, like they've got a perpetual "bug crosswise" and just try to make trouble for no other reason than to get attention.

CWS
    What a Beautiful N wise man ! Wish I knew Him. Sending Hugs to Heaven.
    Here's one I need most " Never miss an opportunity to SHUT UP "
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The occassional playful taunting we do can be fun, but that is not what we are discussing here. Our country is not perfect, but I think it's great and the men and women who serve and sacrifice do so with the best intentions. I think it is in very bad taste to bash America at every chance. An apology and compliment are long over due! When it comes down to it, what other superpower will come to the assistance of those in need? If you hear a pin drop it's because it's awful quiet out there with the exception of the USA!

Comment

Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Maximum Culpa I am just so sorry for upsetting you all for penance say three hail Mary`s and three our fathers and don`t sin again and DON`T have an opinion and DON`T express it on this forum toe the line and agree with every thing they say

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          The occassional playful taunting we do can be fun, but that is not what we are discussing here. Our country is not perfect, but I think it's great and the men and women who serve and sacrifice do so with the best intentions. I think it is in very bad taste to bash America at every chance. An apology and compliment are long over due! When it comes down to it, what other superpower will come to the assistance of those in need? If you hear a pin drop it's because it's awful quiet out there with the exception of the USA!

The part that bugs me the most is when they bash the USA they really mean to blame the politicians, but in words, they bash all Americans. Most American people don't condone what the politicians do. The *people* of any country tend to be much more human than any politician of that same country.

I've been to Australia. None of the people there condemned my family for being of US upbringing. In fact, they wanted to know about us, the people. They wanted to know more about what they didn't see or hear on TV. They wanted to know about Peanut Butter and why I didn't like Vegamite so much. haha
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
            Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Maximum Culpa I am just so sorry for upsetting you all for penance say three hail Mary`s and three our fathers and don`t sin again and DON`T have an opinion and DON`T express it on this forum toe the line and agree with every thing they say

Tony
            Way to play the victim card.

You didn't express an opinion for conversational purposes. You gave a sarcastic editorial for the sole purpose of getting a reaction.

My dad used to say "don't pee in my ear and tell me it's raining".

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post

You didn't express an opinion for conversational purposes. You gave a sarcastic editorial for the sole purpose of getting a reaction.

Well said! We criticize and give differing opinions about our government here without much of a problem. we can also take criticism from members of other countries regarding our government, laws and so on. The rude insults that go far beyond an honest and well thoughtout comment are the sort of thing we are talking about. Let's remember it is the criminal element, the insane scum looking to gain fame who have taken lives, NOT the law abiding gun owners. Remember the evil acts of mass murder, rape and torture by sadaam's regime when you insult America's involvement with his demise. Our government may sometimes support bad people, it happens, we the people are not perfect with electing leaders and policy. We are however first to take out the trash of the world. Go ahead and voice your opinions, but show some manners and class.
              Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post

Yes I do use sarcastic when trying to talk to you whether it is on guns or world affairs as you get so upset with any form a criticism if you haven`t noticed I am not an American I am an Australian and my culture is not the hand on the heart thing and we Australians have followed you or should I say your dam politians into every stuffed up war over the last one hundred years and Korea was one of them Vietnam was another and reasently Iraq and Afaganistan and each time as the leading country your politians order your military to cut and run leaving a mess in their wake and North Korea is just another one of them.
                In early 1950`s the US was at its height Military it had the world at your feet but a weak president sacked a general who wanted to finish the korean war and your politians have kow towd every time North Korea and its great leader sneezes and where has it got us
                A couple of years earlier another general in 1945 wanted to continue on and finish the Russains before they had nuclear weapon but no and half of Europe was inprisond under communism for forty years but he was told to shut up and was hit by a runaway vehical or knocked off???
                The point is your military and politians start these wars but never follow through what is the point of having a strong military when you never use them to their full protential and when a misfit in North Korea can scare you off every time I will continue to use sarcasm as it is the only way to communicate with the hand on the heart crowd

Tony

Comment

Tony,

You do have some points that I agree with in this last post, BUT you see it only as a U.S. problem and only the U.S., in your eyes is to blame. While your knowledge of history seems to be better than average, I think you are missing some information.

The Korea mess (and this is what we should be talking about, NOT your critisism) is not and was never that we couldn't have taken them on... it was the concern of also having to take on China and you must not forget that although we were still a big power, we were a mere fraction of what we were only a few years before at the end of WWII.

You must also wake up to Australia's attitude in all of this too! An attitude, I believe is somewhat justified at least in reference to it's participation in WWII, which though gallant and significant, was also very much reluctant and quite cautious with memories of WWI.

You must also remember, that in WWII it was the British and her Dominions (of which Australia was one) faced the Germans and Japanese for a few years before the U.S. committed any troops. While we did supply weapons and aid during those early years, we didn't commit troops of any significance until almost 1943. And though we closed on the Nazis rather swiftly, after the D-Day invasion in June, 1944, we by no means did this alone. As a matter of fact in was Montgomery who planned the D-Day invasion, and it was Montgomery and the British 8th army who faced the brunt of the German defence after the Normandy breakout, thus allowing the armies of the U.S to advance into central and southern France. And while Patton's 3rd Army moved rapidly to envelope the German defenders of those sectors, at the Rhine, and immediately on ebb of the "Buldge", it was Montgomery who constantly clamored for fuel and supply which warranted Eisenhower to stop Patton at several key engagements, thus allowing the Germans to escape and fight another day. This happened on at least three major times.

It was also Churchill's embrace of "Uncle Joe" and his long standing relationship (as well as a good portion of our own government) that recognized Russia's struggle and position in keeping the German's occupied on the Eastern Front. It was Churchill and those in the U.S. government that he convinced that held back the U.S. advance on Berlin, and allowed the sectionalizing of Germany!

By the time Korea came around, the U.S. had largely de-militarized, and certainly that was the case with Britain and all of her Dominions. I have friends who went into Korea at the very start, and believe me when I tell you that it was a total screw-up (politely put). The first units went in with little more than 30-cal carbines and plastic helmet liners, expecting only to "police".

When we finally did ramp up the Korean campaign, you also have to remember that we, had done everything we could to keep the Nationalist under Chiang Kei-sheck in power in China, despite it's well known corruption. We had forcefully opposed the Chinese communists and at the point of Korea, we and most all of the European powers were still trying to impose the old European colonialism over China and all of south-east asia. That, created the division of Korea and Vietnam! So, when MacArthur pushed the N.K. back north, it was well known that his vision was to continue across the Yalu River and continue his advance possibly into China. Of course, the Chinese communist would have none of it, and we were NOT prepared to take on the Chinese, which had considerably many more hardened, and battle experienced troops than we had or that even Europe or Australia had. We also had the prospects of Russia, entering into the campaign against us.

Bottom line was we and Australia were not prepared, nor did any of us want to go to further extent... We had spent too much, in both blood and money...ALL OF US!!! The alternatives were either NUCLEAR or a troubled peace. Obviously, the latter was the only logical answer at the time!

Are we better off for that decision? Probably, as even if we could have defeated the Chinese and the Russians, we certainly could not afford to occupy and rebuild them!

Was it a final decision? Definitely NOT, as we've shed our blood in Vietnam, and in many other places where Communism militantly spawned!

The problem with Korea, IS China and until the Chinese, themselves, deal with this threat to their own peace the issue will continue to put another world war at risk. From stickly a military point of view, Seoul, South Korea is within easy artillery range of the border. N. Korea ranks as having the 4th largest army in the world with more than a million soldiers under arms. It's artillery capability ranks even higher, and reportedly may be in 1st place in that regard. Recent reports say that it can rain 500,000 artillery shells down on Seoul in the first hour of assault.

Because of prevailing weather conditions, any Nuclear strike would almost immediately put Japan in jeapardy from the fallout. China, would by treaty most definitely step into any such strike, as might Russia as both sides deterioate. And, as the entire region collapsed under the turmoil, Australia and possibly India would also be drawn in. N. Korea, needs to be isolated and completely cut off from technology, economic, and humanitarian trade entirely. I'm not sure that we, or any "western" colaboration has the will to do that, and it appears that China will conitinue to assist them. The key therefore is China, which I don't think we should be attempting to demonize as much as we need to make friends with.

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                    Yes I do use sarcastic when trying to talk to you
                    When do we talk? Is "you" a blanket for all Americans? Are we stereotyping?

Do I get to stereotype Australians now?

Comment

Working...
                    X