The President's entourage passed by today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The President's entourage passed by today

He was just passing through some 3000 miles from the White House to say hi to a few well heeled contributors. Judging from the cost of the whole affair I'd say it would be cheaper for the taxpayer and more lucrative for his party if he just stayed in Washington and he wrote himself a check on our account. I don't mind being inconvenienced by matters of state, but not for executive pan handling. No axe to grind in this area with the incumbent, as this is SOP in his line of work, but don't they have better things to do while serving their country.
    Last edited by Plumbus; 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM.

Re: The President's entourage passed by today

My exact thoughts. I seldome talk politics, but this has bothered me for 4 plus years. It's been a joke when he first pulled those stunts and closed down streets for several blocks each side of his route.

So many high power people complained that they now have a rolling roadblock and fly marine 1 as close as he can to the event. He flys within 1/4 mile of my house almost as low as police copters. It's much more announced and much better staged. But the first few times was a joke with all the closures and security.

When president Reagan was in office. His entourage was a lot less. 1 time we had a night softball game and there was 1 secret service guy talking into his sleeve while he rolled by within 100' of our game. His la office was literally 1/2 mile from my home.

I'm with you about the cost. Since its all fund raising, why not keep him home and save the headaches. I'm sure there would be plenty of republicans that would write him a check and forgo all the gridlock. Cost me a scheduled jetting job years back as I couldn't get to the job. Roads were closed and gridlock was crazy.

Rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-05-2013, 09:12 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

makes you want to furtively poke a laser pointer out of your pocket doesnt it?
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

" don't fall in love with a politician, for they will always break your heart "
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Times have changed a bit since Ragen was in office Rick. And even though there were attempts on his life, I think the world has been a more dangerous place for presidents for the past dozen years or so., since Desert Storm maybe.

I don't like the expense that goes into protecting the Pres or veep on these type of trips, especially knowing that what you see is probably the tip of the iceberg.
          Still, we can't have our President, whoever is in that seat, a captive in his own home or DC for that matter.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Times have changed a bit since Ragen was in office Rick. And even though there were attempts on his life, I think the world has been a more dangerous place for presidents for the past dozen years or so., since Desert Storm maybe.

I don't like the expense that goes into protecting the Pres or veep on these type of trips, especially knowing that what you see is probably the tip of the iceberg.
            Still, we can't have our President, whoever is in that seat, a captive in his own home or DC for that matter.
            Sending him for R&R on our dime is fine with me. Offshore for business, no problem. Anywhere USA to pass the hat, forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Sending him for R&R on our dime is fine with me. Offshore for business, no problem. Anywhere USA to pass the hat, forget about it.
              Agree but problem is he can probably find some legit excuse to go somewhere on offical business then take a short side track, even if on his own dime, to the next town for a fund raiser. Ends up we are still picking up most of the expense.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

It's a part of the job, makes no difference who the President is or what party he affiliates with. Frankly, given the extremes of much of the right-wing rhetoric of the last five years, he's probably less safe in this country than in many others. Sad to see it that way though.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                X