X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educating Terrorists

Listening to the morning News I heard that authorities focused in on the brothers because as others turned towards the explosions, they did not flinch! I would have preferred to hear "It is not known how or why authorities focused on the brothers!". I think too much detailed information is passed on to the general public and the bad guys, who in turn are better prepared for future actions against us. I'm fine with details on their personal lives, favorite foods, etc, but shut up about their mistakes!

Re: Educating Terrorists

I know there is immense info on the interned, but why broadcast on how they made there device, and how it was not as effective as it could have been because ####,

just stupid if you ask me.

look at the number of people how could have easily looked some simple problem they are having on the net but they choose to be lazy and post the same questions time and time again that are all ready answered, my guess is many who want to do harm are just as lazy, so why give them ideas.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The news media spends too much time on one "sensational" story after another and not covering other world events. What is happening in North Korea? Have they launched any missles? Remember when that story was being covered over and over and over....... What about the fertilizer plant in Texas that exploded. Just not as big a story as the Boston bombing so there is little coverage of it in the news. There has been an earthquake in China, little coverage of it.

The news outlets are more interested in ratings and "scooping" one another than in reporting the facts. News managers in all outlets have forgotten the five W's of journalism, Who, What, When, Where, Why. They do not verify their sources. Remember the reports that suspects were in custody, then the backtracking when police officials denied that arrests had been made and there were no suspects in custody?

It really gets me that many times, news reporters are interviewing each other just to fill up time or column space. Why not cut away to other news and come back when there is something substantive and accurate to report. No, they would rather report rumors and speculation just to hold onto their audience.

The law enforcement community really controlled the press in this incident. They controlled what information was released and what was not released, based on trheir investigations and plans to apprehend the suspects. The media responded with rumors and unsupported "tips".

As long as news bureaus are "Profit Centers" in their respective organizations we will continue to get more of the same.

Comment

Good points made by all. I guess the only way the media will ever change is if enough people complain to the sponsors about supporting this lame journalism. Unfortunately, not enough people are willing to boycott a sponsor to make a difference.

Comment

"I can't confirm this at this time and it is just speculation so far but................" words that are far too often spoken and written by news journalists but which should never be spoken or written by a news journalist! If it can't be 100% confirmed as fact then it is just a rumor and the ASSUME Rule is applied.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

While I'd like to think that the News of today is perhaps different, and worse than it used to be, I'm afraid it simply has always been so. As a history buff, I often find writings that view the News with disdain and discust.

Problem today is simply that there is so much of it, and it seems as though the News is all about making thier own news. That is why we see so much analysis, and "story" about the subjects at hand. Speculation and opinion and guessing as to reason, instead of just reporting the event and leaving it at that.

In this particular event, we heard about a "third bomb", one which the authorities had defused and thus had intact... not at all true! Then there were the reports of a third man, stripped naked for purposes of making sure he had no bomb on him and was then in custody and being interogated... not true! Then of course we heard of the "dark skinned" individuals on the surveilance cameras... yet neither of these guys are dark skinned. Then of course there was the wild charge into the crowd of police by the older brother wearing an explosive vest... that is yet to be evidenced.

I think that somehow the learnings of journalism and News broadcast reporting have been lost in the zealousness of ratings and possible advancement within the various News broadcast empires. I think it's sad and a bit demeaning to find that "News" really isn't, and that it's almost a matter of "latest story" for ratings purposes.

Reminds me of a story in one of the earlier volumes of Winston Churchill's history of The Second World War in which he tells of a News story reporting him leaving Lisbon. Of course the Nazi's immediatel caught the story and shot the plane down over the channel, with the loss of all passengers. It was unfortunate as apparently the fat guy with the cigar was just one of the passengers and not Churchill at all. During the war, it seemed a constant fight against speculation and enuendo by the press, always so willing to sacrifice people and soldiers to 'get the story'. Fortunately, in that era most of the press had a conscience and refrained from such things.

One of the never-ending themes that seems to permeate this Boston story is the speculation of the training that these young men must have received. I don't know why that seems so importantly necessary, as the pundits seem to make it. While I don't know how to make a "pressure cooker" bomb, it does appear that there are enough instruction out there on the web for such things that it wouldn't take much effort to find it. Likewise, it doesn't take much imagination or any kind of training to go coolly about the business of planting or dropping, as this case was, such a device. Apparently the pundits don't go to the movies or even watch much television... that kind of familiarization is everywhere you look; it is afterall a major part of today's entertainment! He!!, I look back at my youth, and it wasn't all that hard to find even way back then!

CWS

Comment

As the father of a wounded warrior I have some insight on the media.

While in Afghanistan my sons comment was " Dad, why don't people know what's going on here. It should be in the paper everyday"

Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post

While in Afghanistan my sons comment was " Dad, why don't people know what's going on here. It should be in the paper everyday"

Enough said.
                Please express my deepest appreciation to your son for his service. I hope he is able to rehabilitate as best he can. I was eighteen years old when I started working at New York Telephone. A couple of the older guys (older by three or four years) were already retuned from Vietnam. I was naive about a lot of things including the media, I thought they reported relevant stories. One guy I had gotten friendly with said "frankie, we were on patrols in cambodia, listening to news reports that there were no American troops in cambodia!" I'm sure the media picks and chooses what they want to report, I just wish they were more careful in this situation. Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Please express my deepest appreciation to your son for his service. I hope he is able to rehabilitate as best he can. I was eighteen years old when I started working at New York Telephone. A couple of the older guys (older by three or four years) were already retuned from Vietnam. I was naive about a lot of things including the media, I thought they reported relevant stories. One guy I had gotten friendly with said "frankie, we were on patrols in cambodia, listening to news reports that there were no American troops in cambodia!" I'm sure the media picks and chooses what they want to report, I just wish they were more careful in this situation. Frank
                  and maybe they report what they want them to report. Sometimes no or mis information is good, depending on who is listening.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post

Enough said.
                    Because of the media coverage in Vietnam every day the news services showed American and Australian soldiers being killed and the people back home eventually raised up and demanded our governmants to get out of there

Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X