X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tippy Taps

My daughter, who is working in Cambodia, has the following to say about clean water;

Thought you might find this interesting. We use this type of water filter in my house, along with at all the schools we sponsor. My house has running water, but the villages we work in do not (hence our main initiative of providing water wells that serve 30-40 people each). Saves a bunch of money not having to buy bottled water like I did in the Philippines or to keep filling up filters of fresh water like many people did.

www.tippytap.org

Makes one appreciate what our infrastructure.

It all boils down to using sanitation and clean water to prevent disease

Re: Tippy Taps

yes we are lucky, and blessed in this country,

looks like a great idea for limting water use and keeping things clean, and a good camping idea for here in the US,

I know these countries are poor,

but what is it, maybe I am dense, but our church has been involved in missions in many many third world countries, and supported missions in many areas, it would seem like a town, village or district would be able to go together by them selfs to even hand dig a well, like they did here when the Rail roads were crossing the land in the west,
    I have read of stories where missionaries have sent well drilling equipment to many, many areas and in months weeks or even days it is abandoned or gone, (some simple and some extensive), Why is it it seems like some groups are innovative and some do not, or is there other that I am not seeing,
    so many times it seems even when the well is drilled it is not or it equipment is not maintained, something breaks and it back to the 3 mile trek to the dirty river, rather than repairing the pump handle.

and most likely it was a non native person that came up with the tipity tap,

and I guess in the same Idea where is there Governments, even in the US in the 1930 the WPA and Department of Agriculture, put people to work building and delivering out houses for farmers, (with a concrete floor and screened ventilation), and all the farmer had to do was pay the material cost),

some things in sanitation is so simple not expensive, just like the tipity tap, made out of used items in some instances,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I believe a lot of it has to do with lack of leadership and knowledge.

Here is the system that has always impressed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBEttIM-K8E

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-06-2013, 06:42 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I believe it has to do with local corruption
        sigpic

Comment

I sent her your comments and here's her reply.

"Interesting responses. I should explain a bit more thoroughly though.

My organization builds water wells, which provides water for 30-40 PEOPLE in the villages and costs $220. This was begun by a Cambodian man, but we now use funds from foreign donations to pay for them. We provide the villagers also with water filters, which are big plastic tubs with ceramic filters. These very simple filtration systems are useful for pretty much everything except if there's arsenic or something else chemical in the water (an issue for those living near the volcano). This way you can keep water from the well in your house. Because of the severe dry season, this has become crucial. Most households in the city, who do have running water, also use these simple filtration systems.

The tippy taps are solely for handwashing purposes, as one of the major causes of death and illness among children in Cambodia is diarrheal disease. I believe they were created originally in India, by a Westerner. We build them in the villages and schools, near water wells, so they can be continuously refilled. Simple solutions to serious problems.

But the bottom line is, yes, their circumstance makes us realize that we have it pretty good when you look at the plumbing infrastructure in our country, and the willingness to spend on public works. You also have to consider that anyone with education was killed off between 1975-1980, so they had to start again, with a distinct lack of experience and guidance from within.

I may not have grown up to be a plumber, but I still manage to stay within the field of water and sanitation "
          Last edited by Plumbus; 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X