X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latch & Unlatch Patio Screen Door from both sides

Want to be able to latch & unlatch the patio screen door from both the inside and outside. Currently only the inside of the door has the "slide" and
    the outside has only a pull.

I've looked online and cannot find the hardware for unlatching/latching from both sides of the door.

Might have to modify the existing outside pull somehow so that there is a way to operate the inner slide.

Ideas???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hammerlane; 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM.

Re: Latch & Unlatch Patio Screen Door from both sides

more photos of the outside pull taken off and the latch and catch mechanism.
    Attached Files

Comment

Is there a reason for wanting to do this? Pets? Small children? Having a latch release on the outside because you came outside from another door and want to re-enter through the slider? I have been in the trades for over 40 years and never have heard a request like yours. Ever. Take the latch catch off and you won't lock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
        Is there a reason for wanting to do this? Pets? Small children? Having a latch release on the outside because you came outside from another door and want to re-enter through the slider?
        Dont understand why the reason is important but in the spirit of cooperation yes:
        1. pets will open door if it is not latched/secured so removing latch is not option.
        2. and persons want to be able to enter the house thru the slider without having to walk all the way around to the front.

I have been in the trades for over 40 years and never have heard a request like yours. Ever.
        OK for that info.

Take the latch catch off and you won't lock yourself out.
        Screen door needs to remain secured due to escape attempts by animals.

Comment

I dont know how strong your pets are but magnetic catches are an option if you removed the locking mechanism.
          Attached Files

Comment

I have the same door and screen door as you. I have a small 10lb dog and I can't have just the screen door closed because he will destroy the screen as he paws and pushes. I can't imagine any animal sliding an unlocked screen door open before simply breaking the screen itself? What am I missing? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I have the same door and screen door as you. I can't imagine any animal sliding an unlocked screen door open before simply breaking the screen itself? What am I missing? Frank
              I have replaced the screen itself twice already in the past 3 years because they would scratch and paw at the lower corner and destroy it. But this year I have a 15" high piece of clear acrylic attached to the inside bottom the entire width of the screen door.

If you look close in the one picture you can kind of see it. So far they dont scratch at the screen above the acrylic. I bought the acrylic piece at HD and cut it to size. It fits perfect in the channel on the inside of the screen door. Used double sided adhesive tape to secure it. Been attached for about 6 weeks now and holding strong.
              Last edited by hammerlane; 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hammerlane View Post
                I have replaced the screen itself twice already in the past 3 years because they would scratch and paw at the lower corner and destroy it. But this year I have a 15" high piece of clear acrylic attached to the inside bottom the entire width of the screen door.

If you look close in the one picture you can kind of see it. So far they dont scratch at the screen above the acrylic. I bought the acrylic piece at HD and cut it to size. It fits perfect in the channel on the inside of the screen door. Used double sided adhesive tape to secure it. Been attached for about 6 weeks now and holding strong.
                Excellent idea to prevent screen damage. I have to ask why you need to secure that screen door beyond simply closing it? Your animals can't possibly slide it open can they? The magnet idea sounds reasonable, maybe more than one if necessary? Let us know what you decide.

Comment

Your animals can't possibly slide it open can they? The magnet idea sounds reasonable, maybe more than one if necessary? Let us know what you decide.
                  Yes they can just enough to squeeze their bodies out. Our animals are 4-wheel drive(meaning they are not de-clawed).

I think the magnet idea, maybe 3 of them, one at top, bottom and middle may supply enough resistance to animals opening force.

Comment

Supposedly Polaris and Softlite make a new slider screen door with a spring loaded screen latch that operates from both the interior and exterior, and has a separate lock button on the interior.

Comment

Have you considered just putting the animals down?

JUST JOKING!

Comment

Ha, Ha, Ha! I'm laughing at how much some folks love their animals, and how amazing some of those animals can be!
                        rofl, you got a good sense of humor, let's hope he has one too!

Comment

First of all I can not find any thing,

83-006 Sliding Screen Door Lock Assembly, Black : SWISCO.com

or

Prime-Line Chrome Screen Door Latch and Keeper-A 103 at The Home Depot

I do not konw if a latch like this could be remade with a shaft that would be longer and a hole drilled in the screen door for it, to attach a second lever to, to operate teh hook from out side.
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I already looked at the Swisco 83-006. Even contacted Swisco and asked what is on the other side and of course it was just a pull not a slider.

Comment

Excellent idea to prevent screen damage.
                              Here is a better look at the acrylic sheet I put up on the inside. I believe the thickness of the sheet was 0.093 inch.

That thickness fit perfectly into the channel along the perimter of the door frame.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X