Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get back to work!

You can retire when you are DEAD!

I'm just kidding! I just now came across this little news article about people working well past the traditional retirement age:
    Attention Boomers: The Economy Needs You to Work Past 70

For us worker ants, I have seen men who's only reason why they are still alive is because they are still working. Hell, when I was a first day apprentice, I was paired out with a 79 year old electrician. When he retired, he passed away just under a year later. While yes people are living a longer life and healthy enough to continue working, I wonder about the long term effects. For the younger crowd, say 18-25 years old, they are facing, without exaggeration, 15 to 20% unemployment rates right now. I believe people working past retirement age is a contributing factor to this unemployment rate, as well as fewer promotions, and finally a proliferation of "dead-end jobs". After all, fewer retirements, fewer positions open up, fewer promotions, and less room to grow with a company to higher skilled levels. In short, workforce stagnation.

Personally, I believe a 75 year old man should not have to pay taxes, especially if he has worked his whole life. For those whom have served, 70 years old, and those served in combat, then 60 years old. This I believe will give the everyman the incentive to leave the workforce to not only make room for the next guy, but to use his retirement fund to support the economy, and finally to enjoy life in one own twilight years.

Re: Get back to work!

Complicated subject, lots of variables. Work is a routine, and for many a routine that keeps them physically and mentally healthy. The folks who do well when they retire have a plan, purpose, hobby, friends, and money! I was not quite 50, bad back and other health problems that made staying on the job very difficult. I made room for a younger guy, but I was not prepared mentally or monetarily for the years ahead.
    Sure, it would be great if folks could retire at a younger age, maybe someday, but for now with the government broke and healthcare costs through the roof people need to work till they drop!
    I had the strong Union, pension and benefits, unlike most. My best advice is to enjoy your working years the best you can, and save, save, save! Get a good life insurance plan that pays out when you are old. Invest in a solid retirement plan. Prepare, because the time flys.

Comment

Interesting subject our retirement age is 65 but they want to push it up to 70 but our bodies are the some as they were thousands of years ago and the only thing that has extended our lives has been medical advancements over the last hundred years and most tradesmen bodies are stuffed by the age of 60 from the never ending hard labour I for example had a total shoulder operation last year and have been forced into retirement and only a vary few will be physically able to work on the tools to beyond seventy and really after all those years working on the tools who would want to when one get into their sixties you have have totally different view on life and can see your own mortallity isn`t far away

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        Interesting subject our retirement age is 65 but they want to push it up to 70 but our bodies are the some as they were thousands of years ago and the only thing that has extended our lives has been medical advancements over the last hundred years and most tradesmen bodies are stuffed by the age of 60 from the never ending hard labour I for example had a total shoulder operation last year and have been forced into retirement and only a vary few will be physically able to work on the tools to beyond seventy and really after all those years working on the tools who would want to when one get into their sixties you have have totally different view on life and can see your own mortallity isn`t far away

Tony
        Tony when did you hang up the stillsons.................??????????????????????/

Comment

The national average age of welders in this country is 62.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
            Tony when did you hang up the stillsons.................??????????????????????/
            Last May I had the fourth fifth sixth & seventh vertebre cut out of my neck and a block support inserted to stop the pins and needles and weakness in my arms and three months in a neck brace which nearly drove me mad and last November I had a reverse total right shoudler replacement and luckly I am still able to walk around instead a being in a wheel chair all due to a working for oneself that is why I said in my previous post that the medical advancements over the last one hundred years has extended our lives as the neck and shoulder operations I had done wasn`t around twenty years ago when I had those accidents we are living in the best times for medical treatment and one can only guess what will be available in the next one hundred years
            I am selling up my house in Balwyn North and was supprised what a house down my street went for last week and packing up and retiring down at Rosebud you wouldn`t beleave the crap one collects in a life time and getting rid of it and then what to do which all the plumbing equipment

Tony

Comment

Working...
            X