Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep prayers for okahoma city,

Remember Will Rodgers lives in Moore, OK
    where tornado ripped though on Monday
    May 2, 2013 so please say a prayer for him and all the other people that lost their love ones or their homes, and business
    JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Re: Keep prayers for okahoma city,

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
    Remember Will Rodgers lives in Moore, OK
    where tornado ripped though on Monday
    May 2, 2013 so please say a prayer for him and all the other people that lost their love ones or their homes, and business
    According to his profile page, he last logged onto this site last night about 9:30 PM so hopefully he and his family are all OK. Unfortunately that can't be said for all in Moore so prayers for those living there is indeed in order.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Will Rodgers posted on another forum at 9:am this morning he is OK but still need help and prayers for Moore, OK
      JERRYMAC
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        According to his profile page, he last logged onto this site last night about 9:30 PM so hopefully he and his family are all OK. Unfortunately that can't be said for all in Moore so prayers for those living there is indeed in order.
        To all in MOORE from all of us downunder are prayers are with you. Such a cruel event that none could control or avoid.

Comment

Definite prayers.

I also pray that communities in Tornado Alley take a hard look at the safety features of current and future schools and retirement homes. Sure, shelters can be expensive, but take a look at the loss of life, and weigh the costs/benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
            Definite prayers.

I also pray that communities in Tornado Alley take a hard look at the safety features of current and future schools and retirement homes. Sure, shelters can be expensive, but take a look at the loss of life, and weigh the costs/benefits.
            Joe, maybe you know more about constuction than I do, but I don't know if schools, hospitals, or other structures can be made to withstand wind forces that were seen that day? I believe the best chance of saving live would be a shelter below ground, but how do you make them big enough and accessible enough for all those people? Then there is the issue of rebuilding costs, just as seen in parts of New Orleans, or the east coast that got battered by hurricane sandy. Does there reach a point at which folks have to relocate to an area with less devistating weather? Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Joe, maybe you know more about constuction than I do, but I don't know if schools, hospitals, or other structures can be made to withstand wind forces that were seen that day? I believe the best chance of saving live would be a shelter below ground, but how do you make them big enough and accessible enough for all those people? Then there is the issue of rebuilding costs, just as seen in parts of New Orleans, or the east coast that got battered by hurricane sandy. Does there reach a point at which folks have to relocate to an area with less devistating weather? Frank
              No, I don't know a lot about construction. I can't help but think that it is possible to dig a 6 foot deep footprint for a used shipping container, embed the container in that footprint, wrap it with rebar, and then put a couple feet of concrete around it. Seems like something like this could be abutted against an existing wall, with some heavy doors providing passage. Doesn't have to be anything pretty.

Rebuilding costs aside, these could save lives. Maybe there are already firms out there that do this; shouldn't be a hard sell after the evidence of what can happen when you don't offer protection for regional weather.

Comment

Joe, what you described could be a less expensive way for folks who can't afford the below the ground bunkers to ride out a bad tornando. Things like local building codes and so forth might get in the way? I am more concerned with how folks go forward with rebuilding this town, or similar areas devistated more than once? Even if you could get most residental structures to include a safety shelter/bunker, what about all the schools, hospitals, office buildings? I doubt they could be built to withstand the storms, and I can't imagine the shelters necessary to house all the folks working, attending classes, or receiving healthcare within them?

Every time I hear about mobile homes being blown around by hurricane force winds, I think if I lived in one of them I would lash them down with heavy steel cables anchored deep into the ground. That would not be expensive, although it would look like heck. My idea is probably not a good one or else folks would be doing that by now.

Comment

Actually, I was thinking most schools could install a couple of these to accommodate those in the building. If money is an issue, maybe the school boards collectively say something like, "We know sport is important to student life, but for the next 3 years, we're removing all sports from the budgets and we're increasing taxes 5%, in order to afford these bunkers. Once installed, there are no more costs and things can return to normal."

I often wrestle with the situation people must be in when they talk about rebuilding after a natural disaster, especially after seeing the amount of devastation and loss of life.

Comment

Joe, I hope for the children and adults something is done going forward to protect and save lives. I also imagine what it must be like coming back from such devistation. Literally everything is gone! If you are lucky enough to have your family escape the storm you must rebuild an entire household including personal belongings. I'm guessing a couple months to clear the debris, and several to rebuild a house once you get the funds cleared and the builder contracted. That's a long time to be displaced.

Comment

Every time I hear about mobile homes being blown around by hurricane force winds, I think if I lived in one of them I would lash them down with heavy steel cables anchored deep into the ground. That would not be expensive, although it would look like heck. My idea is probably not a good one or else folks would be doing that by now.

YES THIS IS REQUIRED IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST , WA AND ID WERE STATES I WORKED IN
                      WHERE I SAW THIS DONE
                      JERRYMAC
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

The problem is with the roof. You can build very sound walls using insulating concrete forms or other similar products. As a sideline business (almost non-existent, a couple sales a year) we sell BuildBlock and Fox Blocks ICF's. I have been to OKC twice for BuildBlock manufacturer training, and safe rooms is a large part of their market down in that region. However, unless you install a concrete roof system you are still back to square one, as the storm would simply rip the roof off and leave the walls standing. A safe room is different in that they are small, so a flat concrete roof system is quite secure as the structural spans are very short.

It would be very tough to build a structure that would withstand extreme storms, and still be attractive both aesthetically and cost-wise.

Comment

Just one question why do people live there in tornato ally where your wiped out every couple of years if I lived there i`d build my house out of concrete and pile dirt on top meters of dirt on top

Tony

Comment

I grew up there. My dad built an underground house but those are quite rare and have unique quirks. I have family and friends all over.

Tornado alley may be a lot bigger than some of you realize. Some friends of mine lost everything they owned in a tornado where one had never been seen in over 100 years. I'm not in the mood to point out the falacy of certain suggestions.

Comment

This tornado opened my eyes. Before this tornado I thought if I built my home strong enough it would take a tornado. Not so with one like that came through the other day. You can't build a structure strong enough. If your not underground, your not safe. I wouldn't trust a safe room anymore either(above concrete closet). The Moore Medical took a direct hit, and it was total distruction. That is a hospital built to much higher standards than a residential home. Most new schools have shelters now, Plaza Towers was one if the oldest schools in the area.
                              Will Rogers Plumbing
                              Moore, Oklahoma
                              (
                              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                              X