Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waiting on Parts

Originally posted by jimshoe52 View Post
    by saying what ever they want, "that that's the way it is so suck it up".

I'm really angry about this. I'm on a limited income and barely had enough money to buy this tool; a tool I've wanted for a long time. Now I'm between a rock and a hard place. I have no power to fight against these people to get my tool repaired properly and I have no money to pay for repairing either. What a bitter lesson this thing turned out to be.

Didn't you say earlier (perhaps your initial post) that your planer was still under warranty, as I believe the statement was that you sent it in for "warranty service"?

Did they actually tell you that: "that's the way it is, so suck it up"

If so I can certainly see where you must be very angry, as I certainly would be furious myself. I think I would be on the phone directly with someone of authority at Ridgid/TTI... start by calling the 800 customer service number and asking for a manager. Be calm and courteous and have all the information handy so you can tell him the story factually.

Then, IF you don't get satisfaction you should realize that you are still not alone. I'm not sure how Texas works, but most states have some consumer advocacy through their State Attorney General's office. Here in NY they don't take kindly to anyone who attempts to avoid warranty and sales obligations to the customer!

I don't understand why "parts" should ever be a problem, unless it is poor management. While I realize that the Compressor Industry in which I spent most of my career may be different; but with us, PARTS were a critical issue and was almost 70% of our business. Among many other things, I did parts catalogs and was responsible for illutstration, parts listing, interchangeability, etc. When we shipped a compressor part of the process was determining the region that the compressor would be in and then making sure that "recommended spares" were adequately stocked at that regional warehouse. So if there were more compressors of a particular model in one region, then that region had more of those parts to supply. And those regions were responsible for maintaining that inventory! But even then, you could still order parts from the factory and our shops had a responsibility to maintain "parts" inventories as well as stock for the main order assembly shop.

I've done parts catalog work for many big companies and most had a plan of some kind. IBM was probably the efficient in identification of parts and interchangeablity between products. In the 60's, 70's, and 80's they were on what we called a 6, 6 system, in that the product would have the first six years handled by their own techs and for the following six years they'd still make parts.... so you were pretty much assured that your machine would have some sort of support for at least 12 years from it's sales date. Beyond that, products were considered obsolete and the support was left to third-party aftermarket support, where parts were either cannabalized or manufactured by independants depending on demand.

Bottom line, there really isn't much of an excuse IF the manufacturer is tuned to keeping his customers happy... but of course the world changes, often faster than the consumers mindset and memories of "what used to be" (and what made them buy that particular brand).

CWS

Comment

CWS, you made some good points in the above post. I give the whole warranty, life of a product issue plenty of thought, almost on a daily basis. I have a house filled with appliances, electronics, and all sorts of power tools, including lawn and garden machines. I am constantly juggling repairs which either demand replacement parts or some sort of custom modification (glue)
      We really are in a much more disposable era with items being made with inferior materials, and replacement parts if available that may be no better. I'm not alone in this opinion as I have found many folks more than willing to offer up their thoughts as we search the aisles for a part or a new this or that to replace the this or that we bought a year or two ago.
      I was talking with a friend on friday, and he told me of returning something to walmart. We talked about how willing most stores are to take a return or make an exchange. I said to my buddy, remember years ago when you had to fight to get your money back? Clerks and managers were not just going to take a return and give you your money back without a real good excuse. I believe part of that mindset was in the knowledge that most things were better made, and held up unless abused. I admit society has changed to be more accomodating to the consumer, but it's hard to argue in defense of the garbage being sold as new and improved.
      Yesterday I was working on my daughter's 1997 ford explorer and noticed that one of the end links that connect the front sway bar to the lower control arm was loose. This is simply a rod with four rubber? bushings that provide support . The bushings were destroyed, hardly recognizable as if they wore and melted away. I removed the part and went to "Autozone" where they pulled up my warranty information. I had replaced that part just two years ago!
      My point is that warranty or not, we as a society are on the losing end of the consumer equation. The stores and manufacturers can willingly accept our returns, replace our failing goods and still we end up losing time and money. I urge everyone to make sure nuts, bolts and screws stay tight, lubricate , clean, filter, protect from the elements and say a prayer for all your tools, appliances, machines and vaulable items.
      We have never before owned so much stuff, and spent so much time and money keeping it a part of our lives. Long live the smart phone, ipod, ipad, laptop, flatscreen, CD, DVD, Blue Ray, digital camera.......
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 06-29-2013, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I certainly agree with your appraisal, and think you are right ON target.

A good example it the small window airconditioner that I bought several weeks ago. Though we have central air here, we don't run it constantly and I wanted a small window unit for my second floor room but didn't want to pay a fortune either. So for $135 I cart one home. The window is small at 23.375 wide, and this model states it will fit.... RIGHT. Well, it will fit without the side curtains attached and obviously the person responsible for the instructions and the marketing never bothered to check. BUT I did get it in there by positioning it in at and angle and then pulling it forward against the back of the window stop... but it was a restling match. BUT then it didn't sit on the sill correctly.... acording to the instructions there should be no less than a half-inch difference between the sill and the bottom storm-window edge... measured, mine was JUST RIGHT! BUT OF COURSE, the illustration and the measurements given did not account for the fact that their airconditioner actually had a recess at the mounting frame and the rear body of the unit dropped 3/4 of an inch below the sill-mounting area.

So, I had to pull the thing back out of the window (good for my aching back) with a bit of restling, then go cut some stock to raise the sill up an 1-1/2 to account for the A/C's profile. Then I wrestle it back into the window, and now because of the change I then had to go cut some foam to properly seal the area. After all of that, the A/C didn't cool worth a $hit! I let it run for five hours that night and the room never got below 80-degrees! So, packed it up and took it back! Not surprising, was that there on the counter, in a cart, and behind the counter was five other A/C's by this particular manufacturer!

One of the things I learned very early in my career was that a good technical writer and illustrator cannot just depend on what engineering and marketing tells you. You've got to get off your a$$ and out into the shop, talk to the guys who are building the product, look at the stuff yourself, and discuss things with the field service people too. Unless you've built it yourself, or at least observed things very closely and asked a lot of the right questions, you aren't going to get those instructions right. As an illustrator, I've always worked directly with the blue prints of the components... and I build the machine on paper. You'd be surprised how often I've discovered that parts don't always fit the way they are designed and drawn.

I once had an old assembly mechanic tell me, "Engineering can do what they want, and those boys in the drafting room will draw it that way... but when it comes down here to the factory floor, we gotta make it work!" Yep, engineering sees it there way and manufacturing builds it their way and if I do my job right, I get to see where the differences are. But I've worked with an awful lot of technical writers who never left thier offices!

Parts can be a nightmare, and service usually gets the blackeye. Good thing the store's don't argue about returns... but can you imagine how much that must cost the manufacturer's?

CWS

Comment

I recollect wholesale inventories took a plunge in the late '70's when interest rates climbed well over 10%. With the cost of money so high, anything that didn't move in real time got dropped from stock. Manufacturer's reacted by strategies like production to order and in no time the larders were bare. When rates came back down the rise in inventories never reached pre inflation levels. Not unlike our present "jobless" recovery.

Comment

Working...
          X