X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting on Parts

Well, I've had my thickness planer in the shop (approved service center) for over a month now. It's having warranty work done on it. The tech said they're waiting on parts. He further advises that sometimes he's had to wait as long as three months or more for parts. If the parts are on back order for longer than a specified time aren't there other alternatives? Surely, Ridgid doesn't do business like this as a routine. So, what can you do for me now?

Re: Waiting on Parts

When we were a service center for Ridgid/TTI (we are no longer) and a replacement part had an unreasonable backorder ETA, we would often request a complete replacement tool from TTI. Most times they complied with our request, some times they wouldn't... it all depended on the tool and the status. If your service center has a good reputation with TTI, they should be more than willing to request a tool replacement. Actually, at over a month, they should have already done so.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
      When we were a service center for Ridgid/TTI (we are no longer) and a replacement part had an unreasonable backorder ETA, we would often request a complete replacement tool from TTI. Most times they complied with our request, some times they wouldn't... it all depended on the tool and the status. If your service center has a good reputation with TTI, they should be more than willing to request a tool replacement. Actually, at over a month, they should have already done so.
      Thanks for the update information. What I find odd though is if Ridgid has a record of a tool being worked on and they know that parts are not readily available one would think that their policy would not be left up to the service center to request a replacement. I mean since Ridgid already knows they don't have the part(s) and the lead time is beyond a month now why is it up to the service center to make that determination? Just saying....

Comment

There is a specific procedure in place for requesting a replacement. The responsibility of doing so rests entirely upon the service center. Ridgid/TTI does not provide parts directly to your service center (there's a distributor between the two, probably Gardner Inc.), so what leads you to the conclusion that "Ridgid has a record of a tool being worked on"?

Comment

If you think Ridgid is bad, try foreign faucet manufacturers. Last two times I requested parts that would cost no more than a couple of dollars retail from Dornbracht in GA, they said they would have to come from Germany. I would think that stocking a couple dozen basic (warranty) parts that don't cost an arm and a leg would be a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            I would think that stocking a couple dozen basic (warranty) parts that don't cost an arm and a leg would be a no brainer.
            I'm beginning to believe that it's a corporate philosophy that the more something makes sense, the less likely it is to be done.

Comment

What planer model and what part are you waiting on?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                If you think Ridgid is bad, try foreign faucet manufacturers. Last two times I requested parts that would cost no more than a couple of dollars retail from Dornbracht in GA, they said they would have to come from Germany. I would think that stocking a couple dozen basic (warranty) parts that don't cost an arm and a leg would be a no brainer.
                You have the "bean counters" to thank for the move away from "warehousing" parts including current, basic parts! When I was a fleet mechanic at NYTel many years ago they came in one day and made us throw out every starter, alternator, exhaust pipe, and many other useful parts with the exception of bulbs and wiper blades. They didn't want the auditors seeing the waste. So we had no spare parts and vehicles that could have been fixed were out of service for a day or more. Can you imagine the greater waste caused by this mindset? Think about the wasted time, and fuel spent running down parts or having to return to a store that should have them in stock? The bean counters got it wrong in my opinion.

Comment

Perhaps that's why so many bean counters end up as Congressmen.

Comment

I agree, they have improved the efficiency, and effectiveness of the government. I can't thank them enough!
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 06-01-2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      You have the "bean counters" to thank for the move away from "warehousing" parts including current, basic parts! When I was a fleet mechanic at NYTel many years ago they came in one day and made us throw out every starter, alternator, exhaust pipe, and many other useful parts with the exception of bulbs and wiper blades. They didn't want the auditors seeing the waste. So we had no spare parts and vehicles that could have been fixed were out of service for a day or more. Can you imagine the greater waste caused by this mindset? Think about the wasted time, and fuel spent running down parts or having to return to a store that should have them in stock? The bean counters got it wrong in my opinion.
                      This is how my last company worked. I had to drive 40 miles with a truck getting 9.7 mpg for stinking copper street ells.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My favorite is when the wholesale houses went to computerized stocking control. A branch would not be allotted a particular part, when a customer came in to purchase said part, he would be told it was out of stock. Now the problem started; they wouldn't have a proper back order tracking system that would indicate that the branch in question could have sold that part if it wasd on the shelf. If the customer could wait for the part, the branch could bring one in. But, if he couldn't wait and the branch made a request to stock a few of the items in question, they were told no because the computer tracking system shows you don't sell them. In some cases this still goes almost 40 years later.

Comment

Well, the service center has had my planer for two months now. The tech said he's having a hard time figuring out what the problem is. Then he continues in the same breath that Ridgid advises the problem was with user misuse. I told the tech that I followed the instructions by the book (it was in hand during each use). Then the tech said it was damaged from being dropped. I told him if it was damaged to begin with maybe that's why it was sold as "Refurbished". Because I certainly didn't drop it. Then I said perhaps it was dropped by the delivery company. The point is, how can one prove who did what? I'd think the burden of proof of their allegations would be on them. I guess this is one way of getting out of a bind.

You know, it's easy for a large corporation to say what ever they want to in order to get out of a responsibility to a customer. I mean, they've made millions in selling their products and because of, I guess greed, they believe by saying what ever they want, "that that's the way it is so suck it up".

I'm really angry about this. I'm on a limited income and barely had enough money to buy this tool; a tool I've wanted for a long time. Now I'm between a rock and a hard place. I have no power to fight against these people to get my tool repaired properly and I have no money to pay for repairing either. What a bitter lesson this thing turned out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Part of the problem is taxes, more specifically businesses having to pay tax on spare parts that they carry in inventory. So all those starters, etc that sat on the shelf for months at a time they were paying tax on, and that tax added up to make it economically better to NOT stock the item and use virtual inventory or just in time delivery of parts and materials. I run into this ll the time at work. I plan a job and put the parts and materials needed on the service order, but the computer is programmed to bring the parts in at 4 to 5 weeks before the work starts, taking into account the lead time for the parts to be ordered and shipped. So unless it is a critical part which would be needed today, there is more then likely zero stock. Very frustrating when emergent work pops up and you have everything you need except some gasket or bolt which you then have to rush in at 5 times its normal cost because you bought a seat on a commercial airliner to get it here this afternoon from have way across the county.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

And at the same time its exactly why they shouldn't be in Congress.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X