WX here this past week

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WX here this past week

We have been getting hammered with rain storms this past week.
    On 6/7 we got 3.36 inches, and on 6/11 another 1.85 inches according to NWS data, today probably another inch or more (its not over yet). I hope this weekend is dry. I need to get the lawn at the house cut and cut a couple acres of field at the in-laws.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: WX here this past week

I saw this on the weather channel, explains what we have to look forward to.

Comment

Bob D, Don't forget--the rain is followed by sunshine followed by mosquitoes.

Comment

We've had 14.08 inches this month so far. Today's joy was watching the pond dike wash away from runoff down the farm road. So, in the middle of the rainstorm, one found me on the backhoe digging ditches and rebuilding the dike with heavy stone.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I just wish it would rain between monday and thursday, so my weekends will be dry.
          Fortunately I have not had to run the sprinklers at all this year so far, rain has been
          plentiful and spaced out to give good irrigation to the lawn. The farmers will start crying about
          too much rain if it does not back off soon. It seems like 75% of the fields around me are
          planted with corn this year, I hope they made the right choice.

What I want to know is, who buys sod year after year with home construction being at such a
          low level the past couple years? There are probably 5000 acres of turf farms around me. Many
          have started cutting and shipping sod to somewhere. I know it does not last long once cut so
          I would think its pretty much cut on demand. Most new homes going up around here don't get
          sod anyway, they hydroseed now a days. A mile away they just cut one field of abut 60 acres
          of sod. So who bought it because it did not get used locally.

#!
          Last edited by Bob D.; 06-14-2013, 05:16 AM.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
          X