Starting School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting School

Well tomorrow I goto my first class at ITT Tech. Going to finish school and get my degree in electronics design and engineering. I started way back in the day when I got back from my 18 month Army Reserve training. Thing was with my parents owning a plumbing company their gross income disqualified me from student loans. So I couldn't afford to be full time back then.

One of the reasons I am looking at getting back into electronics is my health is not making it easy to keep plumbing. The other is plumbing around here is very slow, my income over the last few years has dropped well below poverty limits. I just can't live like this anymore.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Starting School

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    Well tomorrow I goto my first class at ITT Tech. Going to finish school and get my degree in electronics design and engineering. I started way back in the day when I got back from my 18 month Army Reserve training. Thing was with my parents owning a plumbing company their gross income disqualified me from student loans. So I couldn't afford to be full time back then.

One of the reasons I am looking at getting back into electronics is my health is not making it easy to keep plumbing. The other is plumbing around here is very slow, my income over the last few years has dropped well below poverty limits. I just can't live like this anymore.

It's very sad that someone with all of your drain cleaning/plumbing knowledge is not able to make a decent living from it

The best of luck to you Ron !!!

Comment

I'm glad to see that someone is making changes in order to stay afloat. However, I can't understand why there is such a lack of plumbing jobs in your area? Now I'm just asking..ok...not trying to start a war or anything and I understand about the health issues...

(health issues aside)

- is it a lack of work?
      - are you out of the price range? too high? too low?
      - do you take longer than others?

DONT be an engineer...you know how they get treated here
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Who knows ron, you just might design the next generation sewer camera that ridgid will buy from you

Of course us forum members get a friend of ron discount

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

that'd be the one with the hand glove that electronically manipulates grabbers at the head of the camera.
          ~~

Comment

We have so many union plumbers that been on the bench for 4+ years that are advertising plumbing work for less than 30 bucks an hour. So that killed the residential service work. We picked up a couple commercial accounts that wants to see the insurance and bonds. But we had 4 large commercial accounts go under.

Also we have as****** advartising $99.00 any drain along with ARS owning a dozen other companies that have double page ads in all the books. I could goto work for a company that is getting a majority of the service calls. But most of them have upsell policies that I do not agree with, and if you don't upsell 70% of your service calls they send you packing.

Comment

We have so many union plumbers that been on the bench for 4+ years that are advertising plumbing work for less than 30 bucks an hour. So that killed the residential service work. We picked up a couple commercial accounts that wants to see the insurance and bonds. But we had 4 large commercial accounts go under.

Also we have as****** advartising $99.00 any drain along with ARS owning a dozen other companies that have double page ads in all the books. I could goto work for a company that is getting a majority of the service calls. But most of them have upsell policies that I do not agree with, and if you don't upsell 70% of your service calls they send you packing.
              i figured the first thing you'd say was about hacks and franchises. it's a sad thing to hear, and it always takes too long for people to realize what they are missing by hiring a non-pro. the pro has long suffered or gone out of business... sticking to your morals is always best. that's also why i've started my own business, though it's hard and nerve wracking.

in ny, insurance and bonding isnt as expensive as i thought. 2 million liability and comp costs me $3300. bonding i can get for $0. losing accounts is hard, especially to the under-sellers.
              Last edited by Plumber Punky; 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM.
              ~~

Comment

I ran into our Plumber while food shopping Saturday and we talked about the economy. He said a few years ago it was okay, now, just making it! All that skill, and just making it tells me it's the economy, not the profession. I applaud your ability to look at the situation realistically and take a chance at a better future. I worked with a guy who had 17years with us at the phone company, a secure job. He up and quit and became a fireman. Years later a couple of us went to his wedding, guys were calling him "chief"! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Best of luck. Frank

Comment

Insurance for us is 3200 a month. Bonds are 50 bucks a year per city that wants one. The state bond is a 100 bucks. I will still be plumbing and trying to turn this company around while I am going to school. The schooling is for two years with an option for two more to get a bachelors. I used to work in electronics back in the late 80s till 1990 then got into the family business.

I have applied at many places that are hiring electronic technicians, a coupe called me back and liked my past experience, but told me I need at least an Associates degree. So if plumbing does not improve by the time I finish school, I will be getting a job somewhere doing electronics.

Comment

a MONTH! cripes...mine is for a year...

i forgot...i heard ITT is a good school, but credits may not transfer to another school
                    ~~

Comment

Look into medical electronics while at school!

The hospital environment is an interesting place to work BUT...lots of politics..lots of pretty nurses
                      You may enjoy field service or manufacturing for a medical device company.

I have a friend in Quaker's town Pennsylvania who is a machinist for an electrode manufacturer

Cactus Man

Comment

Ron I wish you well in school and only because of your health bro, but I think you need to jump start the business by making whatever little changes you can, yelp reviews etc. Why? Because you are to gifted at this work some people can barley do it and some are shining stars! You sir are a shining star and just need to make the rest of the world see it. If the old advertizing is not working then you need to make a change. As for the $99 dollar guys and the out of work guys taking your work it was happening to us too but we got past it because the union guys go away when their real work comes back and the $99 dollar guys come and go with no warranty. And becaue of your health you need to run the business and train some bright apprentice that comes along that reminds you of you.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Well, good luck to you with your schooling!

I wish my choice of returning to college was a as clear-cut.

Comment

Working...
                          X