Wife's New Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife's New Car

We have been shopping around for a new car for my wife almost a year now. Test drove the honda crv, toyota rav4, subaru forester, nissan rogue and others. Over the weekend she drove the Nissan Murano and fell in love! Granted it's about ten grand over the other cars I mentioned but great ride and 260hp V6 power. We are leasing, and the payments will take some getting used to but at least we have one good car among the junkers. I want to mention that I was prepared to do battle when we went to pickup the car. I've dealt with car dealerships over the last forty years, and considering all the things that could be a problem (scratches, and so forth) I have to say the car was flawless!
    When my Dad bought his new 1974 6cylinder Duster, the car had enough gasoline to barely make it to a gas station down the block. We got a full tank! I won't bore you folks any further, just wanted to say the process was very impressive. Frank

Re: Wife's New Car

Congrats to the family ! Nothing like the smell of a new buggy. Mom, can I just pick up Susan and go to the movies ? Paleeze Mom !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thanks Tool. My wife had to visit someone tonight and didn't want to take the new car so she took mine. I took her's just a couple minutes from the house to a mini mall. I parked away from all the other cars and sure enough as soon as I shut it down a lady parked her explorer right next to me. I had to laugh. She didn't bang her door into the new car, and we will just have to get used to it. I hate when folks take up two parking spots, something I would never do! The car does have that new smell, and I can't get over how perfect everything is.
      I'm happy to get my 1999 Explorer back, nice ride, a/c works and 6 CD changer. I get 12mpg downhill

Comment

jap Crap

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
          jap Crap
          We were going to check out the ford edge, and gmc traverse until I read the online reviews (horror stories). My 1998 saturn, 1997 and 1999 explorers have been to the mechanics so much "I have my own coffee cup hanging on the wall! Seriously, it sucks to not be able to buy American, but this Murano is far from crap. Detroit(canada &mexico) still can't build a decent car in my opinion. That's crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            We were going to check out the ford edge, and gmc traverse until I read the online reviews (horror stories). My 1998 saturn, 1997 and 1999 explorers have been to the mechanics so much "I have my own coffee cup hanging on the wall! Seriously, it sucks to not be able to buy American, but this Murano is far from crap. Detroit(canada &mexico) still can't build a decent car in my opinion. That's crap!
            Hey Frankiarmz you know how we feel downunder here then. We just recently had an announcement from FORD that they were laying off and stopping production. Problem is not FORD, it is the workeers. Thye have been sooking up where-ever and when-ever there is a camera. If they were diligent enough instead of lazy unionized whinging tossers and actually took some pride in what they do maybe FORD would have survived

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
              Hey Frankiarmz you know how we feel downunder here then. We just recently had an announcement from FORD that they were laying off and stopping production. Problem is not FORD, it is the workeers. Thye have been sooking up where-ever and when-ever there is a camera. If they were diligent enough instead of lazy unionized whinging tossers and actually took some pride in what they do maybe FORD would have survived
              I'm a Union guy and support the idea of Unions but I don't support bums! Getting back to ford, the vehicles they turn out and the workers who build them, the "horror" stories I read had to do with poorly designed drive train, electronics and body fit and finish. Ford and gmc owners talked about new cars that could not be aligned, leaked gasoline. shut off for no reason and more. I do some of my own repairs, brake jobs and such, and I can honestly tell you a lot of the problems stem from bad design, not poor build procedures. When you compare the design of American, european and japanese vehicles, the "japs" do the best job. They started beating us back in the late 60's early 70's with little cars that rode like big ones and gave good service and great gas mileage.
              Back in the 70's, 80' and 90's I stuck with American made vehicles, the faulty electronics, engines that quit around 100k. I know there are folks who have had good luck with our cars, but just check reviews by real oners on the Internet when considering a certain model and understand the frustration and disappointment in their stories.
              You can blame the lazy Union folks all you want but include the lousy designers and engineers for not being able to make a superior car I can afford and put my faith into. Frank

Comment

Franki,

Congratulations on the new car. My neice and her husband have one of those (about 2 years old now) and it has served them very well indeed with absolutely no problems whatsoever. She has a BMW for her personal car, but very much likes the Murano and is the vehicle of choice when they transport their little guy anywhere.

Regarding the comment about the "Jap Crap".... hey, I guess AssTyme has never owned one! (Or else he's just prejudiced.)

I've owned a 65 VW, a 68' Plymoth Valiant, a 76' Mercury (Ford), and an 84' Toyota Tercel... all of which were purchased NEW! The VW was the most expensive to drive on a maintenance basis, requiring oil changes every 1500 miles, and a tune-up every other oil change; and several sets of brakes, mufflers, shocks, king-pins, etc. But I put 93K on it in three years.

The Valient was a great car with very little maintenance needs. I kept that car for eight years. But, it ate tires and the body had more weld flashing than I could count.

The Mercury... well, let me just say that I vowed I would never, EVER, buy another Ford product. When I received it from the dealer, it had no less than 42 defects!!! Missing body plugs, low oil, A/C that didn't work, damaged uphostery, missing bolts, bolts laying on top of the engine, missing air filter, and an orange-peel paint job. In the first few months (May to September) paint was literally falling off the car, "fall-out" discoloring, and rust-thru where the driver's door mirror mounted. Over the next three years, the radiator corroded and had to be replaced (though I had a 302 V8, the radiator was from a 6-cyl Ford Pickup. The power steering pump failed at three years and nothing that was listed for the 76' Mercury Monarch would fit.... come to find out, the power steering was from a 74' GM Chevy Nova... bought from GM surplus and used by Ford on the assembly line!

Oh, and the gas tank rusted through and collapsed after just over three years... dumping a full tank in my driveway!!!!

At five years old the car was tolled away for scrap. The body was so rusted I didn't have anyplace to mount new shocks. The trund was rusted through from the bottom, and the camel-colored interior dash had turned black from the sun. And those items mentioned were only some of the more serious problems! And through all of this, the dealorship and Ford were no help whatsoever.

My 84' Toyota was about the cheapest car I've ever owned to drive. It got over 40 miles to the gallon and though about the 'bottom-of-the-barrel' model, I drove it for over eight years with the only problem being that the electric motor-driven cooling fan froze up for lack of use. The radiator seemed to be so efficient, that unless you were stuck in traffic for ten minutes the fan never came on! With almost a 100K on it, I only had to replace the brakes once and the muffer twice... that was it!

I've also owned a 70' MG-GT, 79' Datsun 200SX, and 80' Ford Mustang II (all for our son). The MG?... well, what can I say... fun to drive but you need a week-end mechanic and really good sense of historical humour. The 200 SX... fast, reliable, and well made, but since the kid didn't like driving it we sold it too a friend who drove it for about five years. The Ford Mustang... well, I told him NOT to buy the damn thing. Another Ford POS.. it didn't last him a year.

All of these were purchased USED and the MG had long ago seen it's best years. For myself, I switched back to Chrysler products and have owned a 91 Plymoth Voyager and currently a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. Nothing lavish, they're 'plain-Jane' vehicles. But I get good mileage and they have been reliable, though not faultless. You couldn't keep paint on the 91' as it just didn't seem to want stick to the white primer they used; but after 160 K miles, there was still no rust anywhere. The 2006 Dodge just turned 63K and already I've had to replace the steering rack! Not happy with that, but so far that's the only problem with it. I also have a 95' Miata. I don't drive that much anymore, as there seems to be little time for such joyous things. (I keep it under cover in the garage and it's never seen a winter drive.) At the moment it has 34K on it. It needs a new rear window, because even under the cover the plastic gets old. But, the Miata is 100% fun in my book and to date I've had to do nothing serious with it other than keep it properly lubed.

So, Fords are the worse cars I've ever owned and it's not just the fault of the factory worker... it's cheap materials, cheaper engineering, and a whole series of 'de-engineering' practices. You can walk though most any parking lot and look at the older cars... the ones with most of the rust are always Fords.

Againe Franki, congrats on the new Nissan... I hope your family gets lots of great mileage and fun with it,

CWS

Comment

Thanks CWS. I have done my best over the years to buy American cars but gosh they have let me done. There were too many to mention, most used and far too many stories to relate. Prior to my Explorers and Saturn, we owned a 98' ford windstar. If you want to have some fun do a Internet search of these cars regarding recalls and owner problems. I hate that American cars have such a bad rap, and I hate that with all the styling changes, and advancements in technology, they still have a lot of problems! The Murano was flawless. I went over the entire exterior, interior, engine compartment, and could not find anything to criticize. There is no telling if this car will turn out to be a lemon, it happens. I even like the appearance of the service department. I remember taking my 78 chevy impala to the dealer for a recall repair and watching fist fights between customers and the service guys. Customers claimed their cars were damaged while in for repair, parts were taken off their cars! I got into a habit of taking pictures of the exterior of my cars including the tires prior to taking them in for repairs. Nowadays I use my camcorder to document the condition of the car just before having it serviced. In my opinion the Japanese are not the culprits here, it is the folks who design and stand behind our American cars. They owe the consumer better than they have delivered. I think Jeep finally agreed to some massive recall. Recalls happen with just about every manufacturer, but it's how they get handled that will impact future sales. I don't know if I mentioned that this is a lease car. We intend to buy it if all goes well, but in the mean time I am hoping for the best.

Comment

I will agree domestic cars had their share of problems but most, if not all of these problems have been resolved. Quality these days is every bit on par with the foreign jobs (some even better) I know some domestics have their share of problems, but Most of them are from the Management side, not the Union.
                    All I can say is at least ,test drive a GM, Ford or Chrysler product, they have come a long way.

I admit I still cringe when I see a toyota with a American bumper sticker on the back. Call me old fashioned but you will never see one on my driveway.
                    I do realize the important thing these days is the percentage of domestic parts the car is made out of. (Please read the sticker and base your final decision on this) Some foreign cars help out our economy more because the content of local parts. It is hard but anything American these days, but I will always go out of my way to support my locally made stuff.

Comment

John if you think domestic cars have had most of their problems resolved I strongly suggest you look at customer reviews for the ford edge, gmc traverse and some of the others I considered before leasing the murano. Wheter the problems are design, poor build by Union folks, poor service from dealers, the end result is a car that can't be driven properly and is NEW!!! I won't buy another windstar , saturn, typre vehicle. I can't afford the high end domestics like the new explorer at 45k or the high end jeep, tahoe and such. I need a car that is relatively trouble free for the debt I'm incurring. I cringe when I read what folks have to say about their new domestic cars and if you take the time, you will cringe too. The situation is disgraceful, and it hurts all of us, but we need reliable transportation.

Comment

I have read some user reviews but it is not really an accurate reflection of the average customers experience. People tend to complain about any little problems, but are not as willing to take the time to point out any good points. I don't put a lot of stock in these user reviews. One rule that has done well by me is, to never buy a model when it's first launched. After a year or two of production these problems are resolved. I will say that a few bad dealerships give some manufactures a bad name. I do all of my own service work so that is not an issue for me. We have driven Chrysler products for the last 10 years and have nothing to say but good things.

Yes, some problem still exist but the same can be said about foreign makes. Quality is basically inversely proportional to the production numbers. As foreign makes produce more cars the more problems will arise.

Comment

John, I bought a brand new mazda rx2 back in 1972. Talk about new model, new technology and major mistake. The "rotary", wankel engine got 9mpg! That was my first car. Your first model rule is a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            John, I bought a brand new mazda rx2 back in 1972. Talk about new model, new technology and major mistake. The "rotary", wankel engine got 9mpg! That was my first car. Your first model rule is a good one.
                            Took them 40 years to get all the bugs out of the wankel.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                              Took them 40 years to get all the bugs out of the wankel.
                              Yeah, and I also had an 83' volkswagon diesel rabbit. Head gasket every 30k. I hear they are making better cars these days too.
                              Consider my purchases as research and development. You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X