4.8 or 6.0...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.8 or 6.0...?

I'm going to put my order in for a 2014 Chevy Express 2500 extended van this week. Does the 4.8 have enough balls or should I upgrade to the 6.0 ?

I currently have a 2004 Chevy Express 3500 extended with a 6.0 and it has more than enough power. I'm leaning towards the 4.8.

4.8 = 285 hp @ 5400 rpm, 295 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm

6.0 = 342 hp @ 5400 rpm and 373 lb-ft of torque @ 4400 rpm

Re: 4.8 or 6.0...?

Id get the Ford Ill be willing to bet the mileage will be about the same with both in the same truck. Id stay with the 6.0
    26+6=1

Comment

I have the 4.8 in a Silverado Crew Cab with Tow Package and I have no complaints. I have pulled large trailers with no issues.

My brother had the 5.3L in a Serria and if I had to do it again I would probably go with the 5.3 flex fuel. The 5.3 had a feature for highway driving (anything over 60km) where it would basically drop down to a 4 cylinder and save gas while driving. I do not know if this feature is available on the 4.8. I have a 2008 and I don't have the feature so I don't know if it's available now or not.

I don't do a lot of highway driving over 60km so the difference in gas has been minimal for me.

I'm not sure why you would be considering putting a 4.8 in a 2500 though. Everything on the 2500, transmission, rear axles, is designed for more weight, pulling power, heavier suspension etc. I would think the 5.3 (if you wanted a smaller engine) or 6.0 would be a better match for that vehicle. If you are set on the 4.8 wouldn't it be better to save even more money and go with a 1500 series?

Comment

The real question is how many miles do you do a year and what are the estimasted mpg they post on the window.

Personally I would always go for a 3500 on a plumbing truck. Larger brakes, suspension and possibly rear end, trans.

I doubt the difference in mileage would add up to much in gas a year.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Supermanofsteel View Post
          I have the 4.8 in a Silverado Crew Cab with Tow Package and I have no complaints. I have pulled large trailers with no issues.

My brother had the 5.3L in a Serria and if I had to do it again I would probably go with the 5.3 flex fuel. The 5.3 had a feature for highway driving (anything over 60km) where it would basically drop down to a 4 cylinder and save gas while driving. I do not know if this feature is available on the 4.8. I have a 2008 and I don't have the feature so I don't know if it's available now or not.

I don't do a lot of highway driving over 60km so the difference in gas has been minimal for me.

I'm not sure why you would be considering putting a 4.8 in a 2500 though. Everything on the 2500, transmission, rear axles, is designed for more weight, pulling power, heavier suspension etc. I would think the 5.3 (if you wanted a smaller engine) or 6.0 would be a better match for that vehicle. If you are set on the 4.8 wouldn't it be better to save even more money and go with a 1500 series?

The 1500 is too light of a vehicle for all my equipment and does not come in the extended version. The 4.8 is also standard in the 3500. The 6.0 just seems like overkill.
          Last edited by AssTyme; 07-01-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
            Id get the Ford Ill be willing to bet the mileage will be about the same with both in the same truck. Id stay with the 6.0

Don't care for Ford vans they are goofy looking. I'm hearing the mileage is 1 or 2 mpg better.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              The real question is how many miles do you do a year and what are the estimasted mpg they post on the window.

Personally I would always go for a 3500 on a plumbing truck. Larger brakes, suspension and possibly rear end, trans.

I doubt the difference in mileage would add up to much in gas a year.

Rick.

15,000 miles per year. I didn't think they were required to post mileage on 3/4 and 1 ton vehicles ???

Trans, rear end and I think the brakes too are the same.

But then again there is almost a $2500.00 difference in price so I don't know...........
              Last edited by AssTyme; 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM.

Comment

is the 5.3 not available? My brothers suburban loaded down with our tools and 4 of us is about maxed out on payload on the 5.3 if you ask me. I know they look goofy, but have you looked into the Nissan work van? I've heard nothing buy praise from those who own them.

Comment

I would now go with a nissan over a sprinter if I did it all over again.

No need for expensive diesel repairs.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

The Nissan NV is a very nice vehicle. I have had mine for almost four months now and have been very happy with it.

Comment

Always go with the bigger engine and 1 ton. They probably get the same mileage anyway. All vans get 12 MPG if they have a gas engine, no matter what the engine size....Get the 1 ton, unless your driving like Fedex. The MPG factor is the biggest load of crap dealers are pushing. You "might" save a few hundred bucks over a year with the smaller engine over the bigger, but you will make it up in brake and suspension repairs.
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                        is the 5.3 not available? My brothers suburban loaded down with our tools and 4 of us is about maxed out on payload on the 5.3 if you ask me. I know they look goofy, but have you looked into the Nissan work van? I've heard nothing buy praise from those who own them.

For some silly reason the 5.3 is only available on the all wheel drive 1500. There will never be a jap vehicle parked in my garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                          Always go with the bigger engine and 1 ton. They probably get the same mileage anyway. All vans get 12 MPG if they have a gas engine, no matter what the engine size....Get the 1 ton, unless your driving like Fedex. The MPG factor is the biggest load of crap dealers are pushing. You "might" save a few hundred bucks over a year with the smaller engine over the bigger, but you will make it up in brake and suspension repairs.

I somewhat agree. Most of my competitors are running 1500's.

Comment

1 ton is the way to go as far as im concerned also, but you have to be careful at least around here. I dont know if vans are on there radar yet but D.O.T. require a number on any commercial truck over 10,000 lb GVW.
                            Ask me how i know. I had a F350 with a service body and no lettering on it what so ever and got pinched. Now I have a F250 with 9000 GVW. Another thing not talked about is gear ratio. Do you live in hilly country or flat? Having the correct ratio for your type of terrain will make all the difference in the world when your hauling around a truck full of equipment. Id stick with the 6.0. You wont be sorry.
                            26+6=1

Comment

I still drive my 2001 Sierra C-3. It has the 6 litre engine and is quite spunkie. The only thing that has gotten by me so far is the Isuzu Diesel on the Chevy Pickups. They fly. I have one in my Pump Hoist and it leaves people at the light with all the weight I have on it. The 2001 C-3 has averaged 14.5 MPG on it's computer since 2001. Most of that is around town driving and the C-3 is all time 4WD. The best mileage I have ever gotten on any 4WD since the 70's. It's got 200,000 miles on it now and I have changed the oil at least 5 times. I'm not much on maintenance.
                              Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X