Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Everything Is Just Fine. Really?

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    Just how does a State go bankrupt it lives beyond its means and that is what the whole of the US is doing living beyond its means and there will come a day it will all come tumbling down you can see day by day your share market going up and down and when your fed talks about easing back on printing money money you don`t have and when you are beholden to China a communist country you despise for your daily bread Detroit is a warning of terrible things to come and it will effect the whole world in the years to come as China is an economic bubble waiting to explode just look at the empty cities it is building that nobody in China can afford to live in

Tony
    Most, probably. But to say the whole of the US is living beyond its means is just untrue. I for one have always lived within or below my means. Everything I have I earned myself and kept because of being thrifty and investing wisely. As a kid I learned the value of a dollar by shoveling snow, cutting grass and delivering newspapers. As a young adult my friends were buying new cars and financing houses. I was driving an old wreck of a car, working every hour of overtime I could to make money. I payed next to nothing in rent living in a basement. My lifestyle slowly increased as my income rose. I paid cash for everything and never had any debt beyond a few thousand which I usually had in savings. I always kept enough savings to last 8 months in case I lost my job. My first house was financed about 25% (75% cash down) which I paid off within 2 years. I am fortunate to be where I am today, my family is financially secure but I also realize it's because I didn't live high on the hog when I was young. I agree people need to get a grip on handling money but Government spending is the real problem.

Bob D is right about corrupt leadership. One name in particular; kwame kilpatrick

We owe 16.7 trillion in debt...... but it's only 5.1t of it with foreign governments
    1. China, Mainland, $1315.9 billion dollars
    2. Japan, $1111.0 billion dollars
    3. Oil Exporters*, $266.3 billion dollars
    4. Brazil, $255.5 billion dollars
    5. Carib Bnkng Ctrs**, $253.2 billion dollars
    6. All Other, $218.9 billion dollars
    7. Taiwan, $189.4 billion dollars
    8. Switzerland, $187.0 billion dollars
    9. Belgium, $171.0 billion dollars
    10. United Kingdom, $155.2 billion dollars

Comment

As a kid I learned the value of a dollar by shoveling snow, cutting grass and delivering newspapers
      Sadly, we live in an age where such endeavors does not cut it anymore.
      For starters, have any of us even LOOKED at the (near worthless) value of the dollar? Do any of us still believe that kids today are even able to deliver enough newspapers within the timeframe between printing and delivery before school starts to actually earn an amount worthy of the effort required? Have we not looked at the weather patterns lately where snowfall comes at such a heavy snowload where a child armed with no more than a shovel could not possibly move in time for a customer to get to work? As for grass, has no one noticed the price of gasoline lately to power said lawnmower to cut grass with to the point the customer might as well hire a professional instead?

Christ people! I have always given all of you the benefit of the doubt, to include the Biblical command, "Respect one's elders". But when one's elders grew up in an easier age to live in, forgive me when I get annoyed when said elders reminisce about how things used to be. I do apologize to you JC, I understand you are simply making a statement for the benefit of us all. However, please understand that millions like myself are bearing the burden. Time and again I have long ranted how previous generations have worked the mythical 9-5 job and still be able to afford things like roofs over one's head and family support from a single income, yet today, a man such a myself whom has a degree, an electrical license in MA (Ground Zero for the NEC), and gone off to war numerous times, cannot spare the time nor the finances to afford the same. The only luxury I can afford is this laptop and the internet connection to support it. THAT, good people, is exactly how hard things are today. I only pray that my own experience give JC's number a personal understanding.

Comment

Gunner I both respect JC's history of hard work and understand your upset. Every Summer the jobs for college age kids like my daughter are fewer and employers cut their hours without warning. You think taking care of yourself is tough, try providing for children in this society and economy. Unless you live under a rock, you must provide them with a laptop and cell phone, Internet service and monthly cell bill, a car, insurance, gas and repairs. School does not allow for full time jobs which don't exist, part time jobs don't pay for much at all! Things are getting tighter and tighter with the price of everything rising. I remember my family back in the 60's when I was a kid, one telephone in the kitchen, one black and white tv and free channels 2 through 13, one radio(free reception). Compare that to the costs for a family today. Most folks have more stuff but I don't feel life is better. Husbands and wives spend too much time carting kids to school for fear of pedophiles and to sports after school and on weekends to keep them occupied and off drugs and alcohol. The divorce rate is through the roof! Welcome to our new and improved America. Please take my Internet, cable, and cell phone. Give me back my money and privacy so I can enjoy a life I can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          Just how does a State go bankrupt it lives beyond its means and that is what the whole of the US is doing living beyond its means and there will come a day it will all come tumbling down you can see day by day your share market going up and down and when your fed talks about easing back on printing money money you don`t have and when you are beholden to China a communist country you despise for your daily bread Detroit is a warning of terrible things to come and it will effect the whole world in the years to come as China is an economic bubble waiting to explode just look at the empty cities it is building that nobody in China can afford to live in

Tony
          Hey Tony, don't you see Australia as a whole going down this track with Kevin DUDD at the steering wheel with all his good little boys and girls who have never been outside the public service and like all of us here, had to work bloody hard for a living. We say we control the politicians but until we hold them responsible when they cock-up then we are just kidding ourselves. Our need to kiss the arse of China at every opportunity will see the future generations hurt as much or even more than we are today

Comment

Christ people! I have always given all of you the benefit of the doubt, to
            include the Biblical command, "Respect one's elders". But when one's elders grew
            up in an easier age to live in, forgive me when I get annoyed when said elders
            reminisce about how things used to be.
            You think we had it easy? Did I forget to mention that we had to walk that 5 blocks to school uphill both ways!!

Get real would you. Every generation thinks they have it tougher than the previous one. I did, you do, and your kids will too.
            Once you grow up you realize it ain't so, you just face different challenges than your parents did.

My comments about the past were to illustrate how far the city had fallen, nothing more. You turn it into a whine session.
            Congratulations on earning your degree and obtaining your Electricians license, and thank you for serving and going to war
            on behalf of all of us, I don't mean to belittle or take away from any of those accomplishments of yours in any way.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It is a perfect storm. And the recession definitely increased it's winds. Globalization, deficit spending and the me first attitude of most of us hasn't made things any better. I can't blame unions for looking out for themselves. And, how is OPEC's drive to extract whatever the market will bear from it's finite resources any different than Hollywood and sports agents cutting the best deal they can for their clients?
              We haven't seen a pickle like the one we're in now since the Great depression.
              On an individual basis, I agree with Bob in that things have always been difficult for many Americans , especially when you take into account the higher tax rates of the 50's and 60's and the outrageous interest rates of the late 70's thru the early 80's. But, as a nation, I lean more toward Tail Gunner, mostly because of the way the global economy has changed how and by whom things are produced.

" A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose yours."

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                Sadly, we live in an age where such endeavors does not cut it anymore.
                For starters, have any of us even LOOKED at the (near worthless) value of the dollar?Yes, I agree see post#11 Do any of us still believe that kids today are even able to deliver enough newspapers within the timeframe between printing and delivery before school starts to actually earn an amount worthy of the effort required? Have we not looked at the weather patterns lately where snowfall comes at such a heavy snowload where a child armed with no more than a shovel could not possibly move in time for a customer to get to work? As for grass, has no one noticed the price of gasoline lately to power said lawnmower to cut grass with to the point the customer might as well hire a professional instead?
                Yes, things have changed but there are always opportunities to make money... if one has some motivation.

Christ people! I have always given all of you the benefit of the doubt, to include the Biblical command, "Respect one's elders". Me tooBut when one's elders grew up in an easier age to live in, forgive me when I get annoyed when said elders reminisce about how things used to be. I would not call it an easier age, there were recessions and pain just as there always will be. When you are my age you will look back at the 10's as a minor economic blip as us geezers look back at the 70's I do apologize to you JC, No needI understand you are simply making a statement for the benefit of us all. My point is people need to be smarted with money and stay awat from the credit trap if at all possible.However, please understand that millions like myself are bearing the burden. I understandTime and again I have long ranted how previous generations have worked the mythical 9-5 job and still be able to afford things like roofs over one's head and family support from a single income, yet today, a man such a myself whom has a degree, an electrical license in MA (Ground Zero for the NEC), and gone off to war numerous times, cannot spare the time nor the finances to afford the same. Success is a long slow roadThe only luxury I can afford is this laptop and the internet connection to support it. THAT, good people, is exactly how hard things are today. I only pray that my own experience give JC's number a personal understanding.
                I understand, you have burdens like college loans to contend with. I empathize with you. The economy is terrible right now, but it will improve. The gist of what I am saying is people need to be thrifty and smart about where their money goes. Example; Do you really need a expensive data plan on your smart phone? (or fancy gadgets at all?) Do you have to have cable tv? Do you need to go to a fancy graduate school, when you could do just as well at a community college? Do you need to impress your girlfriend going out to eat every weekend? Do you need to rent that nice apt. when you could live in a trailer park and save $200 in rent? Do you need to run the heat so warm instead of putting on a sweater? (Or the AC at all?) Heck, If I had to I could feed my family for $20 a week instead of our usual $200, there are times in life when one needs to make sacrifices in order to have a brighter future.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                  I understand, you have burdens like college loans to contend with. I empathize with you. The economy is terrible right now, but it will improve. The gist of what I am saying is people need to be thrifty and smart about where their money goes. Example; Do you really need a expensive data plan on your smart phone? (or fancy gadgets at all?) Do you have to have cable tv? Do you need to go to a fancy graduate school, when you could do just as well at a community college? Do you need to impress your girlfriend going out to eat every weekend? Do you need to rent that nice apt. when you could live in a trailer park and save $200 in rent? Do you need to run the heat so warm instead of putting on a sweater? (Or the AC at all?) Heck, If I had to I could feed my family for $20 a week instead of our usual $200, there are times in life when one needs to make sacrifices in order to have a brighter future.
                  John if I suddenly found myself single, then Yes, I could do all the things you suggested. I can't imagine doing any of those things as a married man with children. I agree that most of us are spoiled with gadgets and luxuries and taken in by all the advertising. We are part of the problem, but even if we were more frugal, we would still be headed for disaster in this economy. Can you really see yourself scrimping by on $20 a week to feed your family when the folks on line with food stamps are living high on the hog? Sort of pointless. I don't know if you can still by a tv that is not a flat screen? Colleges and employers expect that folks have smart phones because they text, or email to individuals and want a response. The society has grown to include these gadgets as necessary where they were nonexistent. There seems to be no going back?
                  Like I said earlier, take my cable tv, cell phone, Internet, and give me some economic stability.

Comment

Big difference between a want and a need. I would hate to have to cut some of these things too, but I would gladly do so to put food on our table. Peoples priorities are all wrong. I see people on food stamps driving their Lexus up to the store to buy Doritos,fruity pebbles, coke and fancy feast cat food. Why should I "Joe taxpayer" have to pay for people who do not have any common sense? I sometimes fell like telling them "Please, for the love of God, buy some potatoes, oatmeal and milk!"

I know there are people who truly need the assistance, but many have no inclination to better themselves as long as the government check rolls in.
                    Again, if government was not so bloated and wasteful, our economy would be much better.

Comment

Working...
                    X