X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taxes. When is enough enough?

The nation but then again, the forum too LOL.

Sure we have 1929 was way worse than what we are experiencing.
    sigpic

Comment

NHM, and other Forum members who would care join in I need a history lesson. I can't recall any time in our history during which we as the United State of America depended on other countries for our consumer goods, provided so much assistance to other countries and our citizens, and had such debt? There was opportunity coming out of the great depression, without a mechanism to bring wealth into our country and economy instead of sending it out, how will that happen going forward?

Comment

Re:Taxes.When is enough enough? when you have payed back your 16.5 TRILLION DOLLARS you OWE now is a trillion a thousand billion or a billion billion and just how much interest do you and every other American have to pay back each year before you even attack the 16.5 trillion dollars I don`t know why you don`t declare bankruptcy as you are never going to pay it off at least not in my lifetime and yours and your kids and theirs are going to curse you for what you have done with their future which will become their debt

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          Re:Taxes.When is enough enough? when you have payed back your 16.5 TRILLION DOLLARS you OWE now is a trillion a thousand billion or a billion billion and just how much interest do you and every other American have to pay back each year before you even attack the 16.5 trillion dollars I don`t know why you don`t declare bankruptcy as you are never going to pay it off at least not in my lifetime and yours and your kids and theirs are going to curse you for what you have done with their future which will become their debt

Tony
          http://www.australiandebtclock.com.au/
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post

Tony
            No we will never pay it off but then again so what?
            sigpic

Comment

Debt per capita

US $52,170

Australia $52, 596

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._external_debt

I think we all are in a bunch of trouble.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Nah, it's just numbers and meaningless ones at that. There isn't that much money in the world. It's all value percieved on the faith in the government.
                sigpic

Comment

NHM, I assume you are being sarcastic and that you realize the debt is a serious matter. Since no one has offered a suggestion as to how our economy will turn around as we deal with more money going out than coming in, I can only think it will continue to decline. The great depression lead to growth through manufacturing as we built our infrastructure, ,and supplied others around the world. I can't imagine any such similar mechanism as we continue to consume from others and deplete our wealth. Rather than conserve as we explore viable alternatives, our government seems bent on spending more and more money as if that will somehow change our course. Where or what is the plan ensure full time jobs to the unemployed, and bring our country and economy back from the brink?

Comment

Is it the governments job to insure jobs and prosperity? What do you suggest we manufacture? We are currently 2nd in the world for manufacturing and still number 1 in GNP and GDP so what product do you suggest we start making? And while you are at it, how do you suggest we handle wages? If you listen to the regressives they will tell you that high union wages and benefits are what drove manufacturing away but what happens if the unions go away or worse yet, the government caps union wages and benefits. There is no magic bullet here. The government spends what the public demands plain and simple. Sure, there is waste but the waste is a very small fraction compard to expenditures. You want to save money? Cut military spending by 1/2. Consolidate the services into one single army and close down the massive redundancies in the military. Get the hell out of the Middle East and quit sticking our noses into every corner of the world.
                    sigpic

Comment

No it's not governments job to in sure jobs and prosperity. I agree. Nor is it governments job to house us, feed us or pay our medical expenses. Taxes are for things that everyone mutually uses. eg. Defense. (Yes, I agree that could be trimmed too.)
                      Yes, high union wages does drive jobs away because they are less competitive. If wages are lower, the manufacture is more competitive, can produce more, and hire more employee, lower sales prices, thus improving the ecconomy in the long run. Unions have a place, but not public unions. Taxpayers should not have to pay for public unions strong arm high benefits.
                      For instance a janitor making 100k and being able to retire at 50 and then making 80k a year during retirement. A workers pay is negotiated between the Employer and the Employee. The tax payer has no say so in these negotiations.
                      The government spends what the public demands. BS, the gov't spends no only what money it steals from me, it spends future generations money.
                      Ps: I agree we should Get the hell out of the Middle East and quit sticking our noses into every corner of the world

Comment

I think it is without a doubt the government's job to provide an atmosphere in which jobs can flourish and be stable. Over the last fifty or so years instead of looking the other way our government could have implimented some safeguards, failsafes to prevent the massive exodus of revenue paying businesses and American jobs. You could call it protectionism or anything else but other coutries do it and as a result we suffer. Imagine if like some of these countries we imposed damaging tarriffs and trade limits on their goods coming into the USA?

NHM, I would start with bringing back the manufacturing of clothing and footwear. Yes, it will be expensive, but we will be paying people to work and not wander aimlessly while Nike, Carhartt, (fill in any of the tens of thousands of companies that have up and left) and their stockholders reap the rewards of slave labor and no EPA, OSHA or other government oversight. Don't worry about any of this really happening, it won't. We are just exercising our imaginations. Just remember, if you can't imagine an alternative to our trade deficit, growing debt and unemployment, you will need more than blind hope to see America make a come back.

P.S., you can't keep wages down as inflation grows because it will reach a critical point at which a wage earner cannot afford to commute, pay for housing, food, etc. There are more and more folks reaching that critical point everyday, they are one paycheck, one major car repair, or home repair away from total financial collapse.
                        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM.

Comment

"Unions have a place, but not public unions. Taxpayers should not have to pay for public unions strong arm high benefits." And, pray tell, who is going to take these non-union no benefit jobs?

Comment

Illegals

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Illegals
                              There ya go
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post