• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes. When is enough enough?

So correct me if I am wrong here guys.

When you charge a customer for plumbing, you pay taxes
    When you pay your employees, you pay taxes, and they pay taxes on it
    When you spend that money you made, you pay taxes.

So 1 dollar gets taxed 4 times?

When do we the people pull our heads out of our asses and say this isn't fair?
    Not only that but where are the tax dollars going? Might as well be going in the trash. In fact I would rather wipe my *** with that same money than pay taxes with it if I was given the option.

How about a different tax system? Sure none is perfect but our current system is just absolutely stupid. The current system is so complicated it's not even funny.

Taxes are apparently voluntary.
    https://www.google.com/search?source...D_enUS511US511

Re: Taxes. When is enough enough?

Stolen... its frustrating isnt it? The only way it will ever get fixed is if the populous wakes up from their Utopian slumber and see the truth of what is the failure of our government officials and the fallacy of the promises that are all to unrealistic. In all reality, the issue is responsibility, and not a damn person alive wants to confront that all to controversial topic.

Comment

CHARLEY REESE’S FINAL COLUMN … ORLANDO SENTINEL! 545 vs 300,000,000 PEOPLE
      April 26, 2011 by Jack Blood
      Filed under Commentary
      15 Comments

Thursday, April 14, 2011
      Thanks to APFN!

Charley Reese’s final column for the Orlando Sentinel … He has been a journalist for 49 years. He is retiring and this is HIS LAST COLUMN.
      Be sure to read the Tax List at the end.
      This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, neither anti-republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel, has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It’s a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!
      545 vs. 300,000,000 People
      -By Charlie Reese
      Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
      Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?
      Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?
      You and I don’t propose a federal budget. The President does.
      You and I don’t have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.
      You and I don’t write the tax code, Congress does.
      You and I don’t set fiscal policy, Congress does.
      You and I don’t control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.
      One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
      I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.
      I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don’t care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator’s responsibility to determine how he votes.
      Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.
      What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.
      The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.
      It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted — by present facts — of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can’t think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
      If the tax code is unfair, it’s because they want it unfair.
      If the budget is in the red, it’s because they want it in the red.
      If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it’s because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan …
      If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it’s because they want it that way.
      There are no insoluble government problems.
      Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like “the economy,” “inflation,” or “politics” that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.
      Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.
      They, and they alone, have the power.
      They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.
      Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees…
      We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!
      Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.
      This might be funny if it weren’t so true.
      Be sure to read all the way to the end:
      Tax his land,
      Tax his bed,
      Tax the table,
      At which he’s fed.
      Tax his tractor,
      Tax his mule,
      Teach him taxes
      Are the rule.
      Tax his work,
      Tax his pay,
      He works for
      peanuts anyway!
      Tax his cow,
      Tax his goat,
      Tax his pants,
      Tax his coat.
      Tax his ties,
      Tax his shirt,
      Tax his work,
      Tax his dirt.
      Tax his tobacco,
      Tax his drink,
      Tax him if he
      Tries to think.
      Tax his cigars,
      Tax his beers,
      If he cries
      Tax his tears.
      Tax his car,
      Tax his gas,
      Find other ways
      To tax his ***.
      Tax all he has
      Then let him know
      That you won’t be done
      Till he has no dough.
      When he screams and hollers;
      Then tax him some more,
      Tax him till
      He’s good and sore.
      Then tax his coffin,
      Tax his grave,
      Tax the sod in
      Which he’s laid…
      Put these words
      Upon his tomb,
      ‘Taxes drove me
      to my doom…’
      When he’s gone,
      Do not relax,
      Its time to apply
      The inheritance tax.
      Accounts Receivable Tax
      Building Permit Tax
      CDL license Tax
      Cigarette Tax
      Corporate Income Tax
      Dog License Tax
      Excise Taxes
      Federal Income Tax
      Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
      Fishing License Tax
      Food License Tax
      Fuel Permit Tax
      Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
      Gross Receipts Tax
      Hunting License Tax
      Inheritance Tax
      Inventory Tax
      IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
      Liquor Tax
      Luxury Taxes
      Marriage License Tax
      Medicare Tax
      Personal Property Tax
      Property Tax
      Real Estate Tax
      Service Charge Tax
      Social Security Tax
      Road Usage Tax
      Recreational Vehicle Tax
      Sales Tax
      School Tax
      State Income Tax
      State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
      Telephone Federal Excise Tax
      Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
      Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
      Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
      Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
      Telephone State and Local Tax
      Telephone Usage Charge Tax
      Utility Taxes
      Vehicle License Registration Tax
      Vehicle Sales Tax
      Watercraft Registration Tax
      Well Permit Tax
      Workers Compensation Tax
      STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?
      Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, & our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
        there voluntary until you choose not to volunteer them.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

When people stop demanding services taxes will go down. Unfortunately, most folks like having police fire departments, paved roads, decent schools, protection form invasion etc, etc. You blame the politicians but nobody ever seems to want to be the ones that get less. Folks rage about the size and cost of government and say that we need to quit spending and make government smaller but government grows as the population grows and demands more and better services. The fault lies with the people, not the politicians. Countless times the Fed has tried to close the Portsmouth Navy yard only to be stopped by the people that work there and demands the yard stay open so they wouldn't loose their jobs. So the local politicians and lobbiests hit congress up and the yard stays. Mind you, we don't rally need it and it is expensive and inefficient but because nobody wants to take the hit, there it still is. You want lower taxes then learn to settle for less. A lot less.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            When people stop demanding services taxes will go down. Unfortunately, most folks like having police fire departments, paved roads, decent schools, protection form invasion etc, etc. You blame the politicians but nobody ever seems to want to be the ones that get less. Folks rage about the size and cost of government and say that we need to quit spending and make government smaller but government grows as the population grows and demands more and better services. The fault lies with the people, not the politicians. Countless times the Fed has tried to close the Portsmouth Navy yard only to be stopped by the people that work there and demands the yard stay open so they wouldn't loose their jobs. So the local politicians and lobbiests hit congress up and the yard stays. Mind you, we don't rally need it and it is expensive and inefficient but because nobody wants to take the hit, there it still is. You want lower taxes then learn to settle for less. A lot less.
            I am getting nada from the government except more and higher taxes, oh, and no representation. NHMaster, no government program has ever been run efficiently yet they keep adding more to justify their existence. 545 people are responsible for our debt and they should be held fiscally accountable and screw the people who want government handouts. I am sure you are not dependent on the government for your existence.

Comment

Police and fire departments - Taxes have not kept up with their soaring retirement costs. This is not due to the taxpayers' desire for more and/or better services. Rather, the lack of ability, desire or farsightedness on the part of those who negotiate in the public interest with the police and firefighter's unions. From what I've read, many if not most of the muny bankruptcies have been to forestall projected future debt from police and firefighter pension obligations.

Paved roads may be a taxpayer priority. Unfortunately they are falling apart, mostly due to redirection of ample highway gas tax dollars to state general ledgers.

Most Americans want decent schools. But, the amounts states tax and spend on public education is all over the map. In my state (CA), school funding went into the toilet in 1978 with the passage of a much reduced property tax. Since then, nothing has been done to remedy the situation. Especially now, with our huge immigrant population, those who can afford to, have abandoned the public system and are sending their kids to private schools. Thus, there is no will on the part of the population with the resources (and political power) to change things. Our public schools used to be excellent from pre school right through the UC system. Not anymore. The public schools in affluent areas dodge the downward spiral by injecting large sums of private funds. The local constituency, in effect, self fund their schools in a public/private hermaphrodite arrangement.
              Last edited by Plumbus; 07-22-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                The services I receive from the government could be provided for half of what we are paying. I would be happy if the government would stop wasting my taxes spend them more wisely. You say the government needs to grow, because the population is growing. How about the big cities like Detroit that have been shrinking for the last 40 years & all we hear is how they is they need more police & fire. Every new census in Baltimore shows a decline in population & the politicians always shoot down proposals to reduce political offices.

As far as the services you listed :
                1) Police- they have not helped me the last 7 burglaries I had. I caught them & the only ones that got any punishment were the ones I shot.
                2) Fire- that's why I have insurance & the county I live in has no paid fireman.
                3) Paved roads- well maybe if they used the tax money they collected for road work then you would have an argument.
                4) Decent schools - they would be if they did not over spend on worthless management. Teachers may be under paid, but management certainly is not.
                5) Invasion - Japan did not invade us, because they were afraid of all the private gun ownership.

I could keep going on, but there is no point in doing so.

Comment

Simple answer to your question is "In this economy, NEVER!". Too many folks are out of work and in need of assistance, too much in the way of assistance given to folks who did not lose jobs and never worked! We have too many unmarried women getting pregnant and having the taxpayers foot the bill for their needs (housing, food, healthcare) and for that of their child(children). Inflation is driving prices up and making those on a fixed income (salary) caught in the middle with no hope in sight. We are sunk in my opinion, I speak in broad terms of the working class, and retired. Young folks coming out of college are having a very difficult time as well, and their inabiltiy to find jobs impacts their abilty to pay off student loans. The government of gouging taxpayers because their are too many in need, too many getting more than they need, and too few to balance the equation. I repeat, "We are sunk".

Comment

Waste is a huge problem, and government contracting is the biggest part of that.
                    As an example. There is a $34 Million dollar military complex which was recently
                    finished in Afghanistan. Back in 2010[ the Army said they did not need it and offered
                    it to the the Marines, who also said they had no ise for it and not to build it. Mind you
                    at this point not a shovel had been put in the ground. The building is now complete
                    but still empty. The Afghans can not use it, it was built to our needs and electrical
                    requirements and not compatable with Afghan systems. The building will most
                    likely be torn down at a cost of 64 million.

We should have cancelled the contracts that had been awarded and paid any penalty
                    rather than build and then tear down a perfectly good building.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Waste is a huge problem, and government contracting is the biggest part of that.
                      As an example. There is a $34 Million dollar military complex which was recently
                      finished in Afghanistan. Back in 2010[ the Army said they did not need it and offered
                      it to the the Marines, who also said they had no ise for it and not to build it. Mind you
                      at this point not a shovel had been put in the ground. The building is now complete
                      but still empty. The Afghans can not use it, it was built to our needs and electrical
                      requirements and not compatable with Afghan systems. The building will most
                      likely be torn down at a cost of 64 million.

We should have cancelled the contracts that had been awarded and paid any penalty
                      rather than build and then tear down a perfectly good building.
                      Is it possible that there was a friendly deal done with this project. Bit like the bombs they were dropping, getting close to their use by date. Now war is never about right or wrong and one who might be a little cynical might suggest that looking at who benefits would be interesting reading.

Comment

It's not they, it's we. Nobody ever added anything until someone asked them too. That someone is usually business, states, cities and towns, and individuals with an agenda of some sort. I get real tired of the whole them against us crap. It's all us! They are us! Don't like what's going on? Change us or get involved.
                        sigpic

Comment

NHM, I don't agree with you. It is us against them, the "us" being folks who pay taxes and are either working for someone, or are self employed and retirees. The us are folks who for reasons beyond their control found themselves out of a job, with no job in sight.The "them" would be folks who never contribute to the tax base and just keep taking, and a butt backwards system that did nothing to keep businesses and jobs in the USA, and millions of illegals out! Them would include big businesses witht the political clout to use and abuse the system in their favor, including the Presidents green contributoirs who lost millions in taxpayer dollars and were never investigated. Remember the President saying, "These things happen"?Since I'm pretty sure you can't bring jobs back and can't stop folks from having babies we support, and can't make illegals pay taxes or not use resources we pay for, there is zero chance of changing us to solve the problem. We are sunk, regardless of how much we need change or get involved. The problem is far greater than us in my opinion.
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 07-23-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            NHM, I don't agree with you. It is us against them, the "us" being folks who pay taxes and are either working for someone, or are self employed and retirees. The us are folks who for reasons beyond their control found themselves out of a job, with no job in sight.The "them" would be folks who never contribute to the tax base and just keep taking, and a butt backwards system that did nothing to keep businesses and jobs in the USA, and millions of illegals out! Them would include big businesses witht the political clout to use and abuse the system in their favor, including the Presidents green contributoirs who lost millions in taxpayer dollars and were never investigated. Remember the President saying, "These things happen"?Since I'm pretty sure you can't bring jobs back and can't stop folks from having babies we support, and can't make illegals pay taxes or not use resources we pay for, there is zero chance of changing us to solve the problem. We are sunk, regardless of how much we need change or get involved. The problem is far greater than us in my opinion.

Lets break this down. http://www.mapi.net/china-largest-manufacturer-world

While it is true that China has overtaken us in manufacturing it is by a very small percentage the United States still leads the world in gross national product. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)
                            Unfortunately many folks get their "facts" from sources that have a political agenda rather than the health and welfare of the economy and the people.

Next lets talk illegal aliens of which the numbers are drastically dropping all the time but facts aside let's figure the actual cost of removing them, building the 2700 mile fence, roads and infrastructure require to defend and maintain this fence, bringing them all to trial and then shipping them back home. It's a staggering amount of money. Probably in the trillions of dollars all of which the " conservatives" conveniently ignore especially when in the same breath they speak of smaller, less intrusive government and spending less. Now lets talk about the effect that shipping them all home would have on food and produce prices as well as the cost of construction, day care and on and on. All of which will devastate the economies of many states which will of course lead to the fed having to pour money into those states to shore up their economies. The regressives (conservatives) have a penchant for stirring up folks emotions but rarely do they ever actually take the time to think ahead to the problems that their nuke em and let god sort them out philosophy will cause. We are not going back. Not going back to the economies of the 60's, not going back to 50 cent gas, not going back to back room abortions and blacks at the back of the bus. The regressives seem incapable of thinking ahead or planning for the future or for that matter finding solutions to problems. All they want to do is place blame and name call. This nation was founded and built by progressive men with progressive ideas. The conservatives have neve passed one single pice of legislation that benefited anyone other than business.
                            Last edited by NHMaster3015; 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

Lets break this down. http://www.mapi.net/china-largest-manufacturer-world

While it is true that China has overtaken us in manufacturing it is by a very small percentage the United States still leads the world in gross national product. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)
                              Unfortunately many folks get their "facts" from sources that have a political agenda rather than the health and welfare of the economy and the people.

Next lets talk illegal aliens of which the numbers are drastically dropping all the time but facts aside let's figure the actual cost of removing them, building the 2700 mile fence, roads and infrastructure require to defend and maintain this fence, bringing them all to trial and then shipping them back home. It's a staggering amount of money. Probably in the trillions of dollars all of which the " conservatives" conveniently ignore especially when in the same breath they speak of smaller, less intrusive govnment and spending less. Now lets talk about the effect that shipping them all home would have on food and produce prices as well as the cost of construction, day care and on and on. All of which will devastated the economies of many states which will of course lead to the fed having to pour money into those stats to shore up their economies. The regressives (conservatives) have a penchant for stirring up folks emotions but rarely do they ever actually take the time to think ahead to the problems that their nuke em and let god sort them out philosophy will cause. We are not going back. Not going back to the economies of the 60's, not going back to 50 can't gas, not going back to back room abortions and blacks at the back of the bus. The regressives seemincapableof thinking ahead or planning for the future or for that matter finding solutions to problems. All they want to do is place blame and name call. This nation was founded and built by progressive men with progressive ideas. The conservatives have never passed one single pice of legislation that benefited anyone other than business.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X