X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in America

There is a lot of talk of how you can't find American made products anymore so I thought it might be fun to see if you can come up with three things that are made in YOUR own state. I'll start

From NH

Turbo-Cam corporation makes high speed turbine impellers for cummins Diesel engines
    Westinghouse Corporation makes the AP 1000 nuclear reactor
    Watts corporation makes, well us plumbers know they make a lot of stuff.

Next
    sigpic

Re: Made in America

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    There is a lot of talk of how you can't find American made products anymore so I thought it might be fun to see if you can come up with three things that are made in YOUR own state. I'll start

From NH

Turbo-Cam corporation makes high speed turbine impellers for cummins Diesel engines
    Watts corporation makes, well us plumbers know they make a lot of stuff.

Next
    .Keith Hubbard vacuum trucks
    .Viking appliances
    There are more Mississippi Products out there,right now at this moment,I cannot remember,sorry.

Comment

Peavey electronics

Comment

Off the top of my head....

-Hobie kayaks
        -Gorlitz
        -Tapatio

Sorry not more meaningful
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I believe they only make some components there in NH, the reactor vessels are cast in Korea.
          We don't have facilities in this country to cast those components any longer such as
          reactor vessels, reactor heads, huge valves, and some of the larger pump casings.

There is talk of building a facility in VA, near Newport News I think, to make these pieces in
          the future. But with the current natural gas glut and low NG prices, any new nuclear project
          is being looked at as not economically viable. Heck the existing plants are having trouble operating
          at a profit, where was the plant that said they were shutting down because they could not compete?
          And SONGS has announced they will not restart because of the cost and the profit just doesn't make
          it attractive in todays business climate, then pile the anti-nuke movement in CA and elsewhere on top of
          that and it's no wonder they chose not to restart. There are a couple other that will shut down for the same
          reason I would think too, as their license renewals are coming up soon. This is a expensive and lengthly
          process, and if there is no light at the end of the tunnel they will not begin the journey.

Westinghouse Nuclear HQ is in PA near Pittsburg, or at least it was as of a couple years ago.
          I have not heard of a move but they certaintly have facilities all over the world including Korea and China.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Polaris
            Larson boats
            3M products
            Spam (Hormel)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              I believe they only make some components there in NH, the reactor vessels are cast in Korea.
              We don't have facilities in this country to cast those components any longer such as
              reactor vessels, reactor heads, huge valves, and some of the larger pump casings.

There is talk of building a facility in VA, near Newport News I think, to make these pieces in
              the future. But with the current natural gas glut and low NG prices, any new nuclear project
              is being looked at as not economically viable. Heck the existing plants are having trouble operating
              at a profit, where was the plant that said they were shutting down because they could not compete?
              And SONGS has announced they will not restart because of the cost and the profit just doesn't make
              it attractive in todays business climate, then pile the anti-nuke movement in CA and elsewhere on top of
              that and it's no wonder they chose not to restart. There are a couple other that will shut down for the same
              reason I would think too, as their license renewals are coming up soon. This is a expensive and lengthly
              process, and if there is no light at the end of the tunnel they will not begin the journey.

Westinghouse Nuclear HQ is in PA near Pittsburg, or at least it was as of a couple years ago.
              I have not heard of a move but they certaintly have facilities all over the world including Korea and China.
              Nope, the newington plant manufactures the reactor core. I've seen them do it. They do have facilities in Korea though.
              sigpic

Comment

Colt Fire Arms
                Sikorsky Helicopters
                Pratt & Whitney jet engines

Comment

Meth
                  Weed
                  Canned sunshine

Comment

http://www.manufacturednc.com
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Nope, the newington plant manufactures the reactor core. I've seen them do it. They do have facilities in Korea though.
                      I'm pretty sure they are not making the reactor vessels there, which is what I stated. They make the reactor internals.
                      For very large generation 3+ reactors, production of the pressure vessel requires, or is best undertaken by, forging presses of about 140-150 MN (14-15,000 tonnes) capacity which accept hot steel ingots of 500-600 tonnes. These are not common, and individual large presses do not have high throughput – about four pressure vessels per year appears to be common at present, fitted in with other work, though the potential is greater than this. Westinghouse was constrained as of 2009 in that the AP1000 pressure vessel closure head and three complex steam generator parts can only be made by JSW. Areva has a little more choice.

Reactor vendors prefer large forgings to be integral, as single products, but it is possible to use split forgings which are welded together. These welds then need checking through the life of the plant. Also, whereas Generation II reactors might require some 2000 tonnes of forgings, EPR and AP1000 units require about twice the amount.

Westinghouse says that the minimum requirement for making the largest AP1000 components is a 15,000 tonne press taking 350 tonne ingots.

The very heavy forging capacity in operation today is in Japan (Japan Steel Works), China (China First Heavy Industries and China Erzhong) and Russia (OMZ Izhora).

New capacity is being built by JSW and JCFC in Japan, Shanghai Electric Group (SEC) and subsidiaries in China, and in South Korea (Doosan), France (Le Creusot), Czech Rep (Pilsen) and Russia (OMZ Izhora and ZiO-Podolsk).
                      New capacity is planned in UK (Sheffield Forgemasters) and India (Larsen & Toubro, Bharat Heavy Electricals, Bharat Forge Ltd). In China the Harbin Boiler Co. and SEC subsidiary SENPE are increasing capacity.

Nothing in North America currently approaches these enterprises.* The changed position of the USA is remarkable. In the 1940s it manufactured over 2700 Liberty ships, each 10,800 tonne DWT - possibly pioneering modular construction at that scale (average construction time was 42 days in the shipyard). In the 1970s it had a substantial heavy infrastructure, but today China, Japan, South Korea, India, Europe and Russia are all well ahead of it. Steelmaker ArcelorMittal, based in Luxembourg, now owns the US company which built most US reactor pressure vessels in the 1970s-1980s.

Source: http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Nu...-Power-Plants/

Last edited by Bob D.; 07-27-2013, 07:27 AM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Saw blades: http://www.diamondsaw.com/products.htm

Horny politicians
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

here's a few NJ companies;

• M&Ms, Hackettstown, NJ
                          • Many food products and much produce still comes from NJ.
                          • Henry Repeating Arms
                          • Unionwear - hats, bags, travel gear, safety products and work wear
                          • W W Manufacturing Co. - Manufactures all-steel professional grade tools for various industries: nurseries, landscapers, contractors, forestry, groundskeeping, construction, metal detecting, gardening, horticulture, golf courses. Maker of the original “King of Spades” shovels and spades, Dura Rakes, Lesche Digging Tool, and assorted other tools, tree and plant carts, tracking trailers.
                          • Switlik Parachute Co. was established in 1920 and has been owned and operated by the Switlik family for four generations and is known worldwide as a manufacturer of the highest quality sewn and heat sealed inflatable safety and survival products for the aviation, marine, and military/government markets.
                          more:

http://www.njmep.org/made-in-new-jer...sey-companies/
                          ---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

SOME, Dresser-Rand compressors... we still machine and assemble components for Petro-Chem application units at our Painted Post Plant, and most castings still come from St. Mary's foundary which is located in Ohio (or at least that was the last I know a couple of years ago). They also still make turbines in the Olean and Wellsville facitlies. However, a growing number of products are being made in China and India!

Lockeed Martin is still making and assembling helicopter components in Owego, NY and well as avionics systems, including upgrades to the A10 and some stuff for the F35 program.

Schweitzer Aircraft is still making sail planes, and small surveilance helicopters in Big Flats, NY (as well as some components for Sikorsky). NOT sure if they still make any AgCats though, as I haven't seen them there in some time.

U.S. Pipe and Plastic still makes large drain pipe here in Vestal, NY.

But looking around Binghamton and Johnson City I am bit disappointed. Once the place of thousands of manufacturing jobs, I don't see where we are making anything here anymore. Lot's of empty old buildings and factories with busted out windows and weeded parking lots.

Sadly, even though I live where trees can be seen for miles in almost every direction I travel, the 2 x 4's I just purchased came from Germany! Maybe I should be glad the hills around here are still green! (But Germany?)

CWS

Comment

CWS, don't be so surprised Germany has a strong export business. I remember reading that they enforce very high tarriffs on imports such as American grown rice. Why is it all these other countries can exports their goods here but will not accept our exports? I know it works to their advantage, but what about the USA?

Comment

Working...
                              X