X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: No Longer Made in the USA

DB, if you question nothing, you learn nothing. If all you know is what you know and you are closed to other possibilities your scope of knowledge will never grow. You've been fed a line, you memorized it and keep throwing it up here rather than expand your mind. I've hurt your feelings with my prior post, so rather than respond to it, you post an old quote by CWS.
    DB, I do say.

Comment

Frankie ; I spend my summers at camp. It's been in the family for four generations now. The man who bought the land and built the original cabin, I never knew nor did I know his son but luckily after all those years and through my grandfather and then father, the property. Is now deeded to me. I will pass it to my son when the time comes. Today was a spectacular day. Temperature in the mid 70's with a light breeze blowing. I got up, made coffee and sat on the deck overlooking the lake. After a bit it occurred to me that things do change, but usually slowly. Slow is good, it gives us time to take it in and adjust. Humans are funny animals. Most resist change, fight it, rail against it but rarely do their efforts make a difference. Change comes in its own time. When this camp was built it was the end of the civil war. Millions died and the nation was torn apart. All for an idea, a change and a radical one at that and yet, we survived. America survived and grew strong for the pain. The cabin was passed again as WWI raged through Europe. Again, millions died in the war to end all war, but we survived and grew stronger. My grandfather took possession just after the end of WWII and the beginning of the Korean War. Another grand war that killed millions and taught us what this nation is capable of when push comes to shove. My dad moved in in the early 60's when we we mucking about in Vietnam and the Russians were threatening to bury us. Again, more dead but. We Persevered and grew stronger. Now it belongs to me. The Middle East and Africa are threatening death to America, thousands are dead and thousands are still fighting and the cycle continues. I'm pretty sure that when I pass the camp on to my son the world will still be a dangerous place but America will still be here and stronger than before.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Frankie ; ... I'm pretty sure that when I pass the camp on to my son the world will still be a dangerous place but America will still be here and stronger than before.
        "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Cute story NHM. Sadly many places do not stand the test of time. I lived in co-op city in The Bronx which was the site of "Freedomland" amusement park. Palisades Park in NJ is long gone, so to are many beautiful, memorable places around our nation. Businesses, and the towns they supported are also gone. Your story was touching, but as you know not everything endures. Our great country has come under attack, and survived in the past. Folks got together, and got the job done. The going got tough and the tough got going! We can rally, we can be hopeful, we can stay positive. I feel now more than ever "We" are our own worst enemy, from the high power banker/businessman to the unmarried pregnant mother of three on welfare and everyone above, below and in between.
          I believe there must be something tangible to believe in, to look forward to, something of substance, something defined. We don't have the jobs, the programs, the plan, the motivation from within, from above, from our leadership. We have critical deadlines, distractions, and excuses.
          Clearly the forum members engaging my posts cannot handle the truth, so they skirt the issues and change focus to something they can speak on comfortably. I get it, the alternative is too depressing, to real, too probable. Let's hope we can live out our lives without too many more spineless gunmen looking to become media legends, too many more casualties of terrorist attacks.
          I'm giving this a rest, don't ask why, you don't want to appear childlike

Comment

"America will still be here and stronger than before" Yes It will still be here, but no one knows if it will be strong. Wealth is always changing hands. Roman used to have it...then the UK...then the USA....then........?

Comment

Working...
            X