Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best truck or van for service work

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best truck or van for service work

    In light of the various posts of the merits of different auto makers,what van or truck would you all purchase for service work?

    As I spend a great deal of money on fuel,mileage is large concern of mine,so if you were to list a auto with very good fuel mileage,I thank you.

  • #2
    Re: Best truck or van for service work

    Originally posted by red1234 View Post
    In light of the various posts of the merits of different auto makers,what van or truck would you all purchase for service work?

    As I spend a great deal of money on fuel,mileage is large concern of mine,so if you were to list a auto with very good fuel mileage,I thank you.


    Define "very good fuel mileage". What type of work do you do ? What will you be hauling/pulling with it ?

    I do only drain & sewer cleaning and Love my Chevy Express extended van. With a 6.0 it's averaging around 13mpg.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Best truck or van for service work

      I aslo do drain and sewer cleaning,some plumbing and sometimes engage in house washing.

      I mainly use a1998 GMC pickup 1500,this aslo results in appx. 10-13 mpg while the trailor jetter.

      Very good fuel mileage as 19+mpg for an average fullsized pickup or van city/highway combined.

      Thanks for listing your average mpg.

      For me and I believe a good percentage of small(and large) business owners would enjoy reducing the amount spent in fuel,while being able to save more.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Best truck or van for service work

        I've been driving a 2013 heavy duty 2500 high roof 144" series sprinter for a short time now. Empty (no shelving, tools, etc.) it was getting 20 mpg. Full, it's down to 18 mpg. A loaner of the same truck but being a low roof, 144", non-hd version got 28 mpg.
        ~~

        ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Best truck or van for service work

          Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          I've been driving a 2013 heavy duty 2500 high roof 144" series sprinter for a short time now. Empty (no shelving, tools, etc.) it was getting 20 mpg. Full, it's down to 18 mpg. A loaner of the same truck but being a low roof, 144", non-hd version got 28 mpg.


          This is with the 188 horse power 3.0L V6 ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Best truck or van for service work

            Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            This is with the 188 horse power 3.0L V6 ?
            yes, diesel. the 2014's will come standard with a new 4 cyl diesel. Projected fuel economy is around 38 mpg. The option for the 6 will still be available.
            ~~

            ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Best truck or van for service work

              I drive a 2001 chevy workhorse with 10' body. Wish I had the 12' body but these vans are awsome. Bought for 5k out the door, easy to work on. I think I get 8 mpg.....depends how you drive. These get better mpg in the city because of the high wind resistance on the highway. Anyway the fuel isn't an issue because it holds so much stuff. I can't remember the last time I had to leave a job for a part. If thinking about these, look into the freightliner MT45. Cummins diseil and allison tranny. Been seeing quite a few for about 10k.
              Attached Files
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment

              Working...
              X