X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High school reunion

40th this weekend, local don't have to travel too far. Would you go?
    sigpic

Re: High school reunion

Why not? You may enjoy seeing some of the class, plan on going to mine at least the non booze part of the meeting, and no I did not find High school that exciting, but kinda nice to see what some there doing now,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Mine and Brenda's 40-year reunion was 3-years ago and we did not attend. We had just short of 1,900 kids in our class and very few attended. The problem we had with it was they picked an expensive venue so tickets would have set us back over $300 for a simple buffet. The same group of people are always in charge and the way it goes down is they get a couple of hugh Suites for the weekend as a comp but the rest of us pay for it. For the fifty year they are planning a Cruise. Class reunions have become such a big business it takes all of the fun out. For the most part the kids who were our friends in school we are still in contact with today.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My class had a whopping 27 graduates.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          My class had a whopping 27 graduates.
          What happened to the rest of the class?

Comment

Nope, well maybe if there was free beer.............. but then again probably not

Comment

That was all of us. Small school
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                That was all of us. Small school
                I figured that, but had to get my "dig" in. I was lucky--went to a big school--there was 83 in my class.

Comment

We had our 50th reunion last year. There have been a few, but this is the very first one that either my wife or I have attended, it was okay and I'm glad I went.

The funny part of it is how small our world is. We have some friends that I first met in Painted Post, Joe and I worked together and after a couple of years of just him and my friendship, we discovered that our wives knew each other from several years before and that in fact, my wife had gone to their wedding long before I knew her. So, that was sort of a funny coincidence and the four of us have been good friends for more than 20 years.

So about 18 months ago, my friends wife's sister was in town. I happened to be in the hospital on one of those days for some tests and the two women came over to support my wife while she was waiting that moring. Come to find out, the sister (who lived has lived in Oregon for the past forty years) attended the same elementary school that I had gone to. While I left that school and neighborhood after the forth grade, Lois (the woman from Oregon) started at that school in fifth grade... and knew all the kids from that class. After all those years (60-plus) I only could remember a few who were my closest friends, but Lois had continued with them right up through highschool (I had move to another school district so my highschool was different.)

So next thing I know, she is sending me class pictures, even from kindergarten (which she had gotten from another person). I had never seen any of those pictures before and frankly had no idea they ever existed. Come to find out, one of those guys had gotten everyone together and does a "reunion" every few years. From elementary school, no less. So, last June I found myself at one of the neighborhood restaurants with dozen-plus old classmates who I hadn't seen since 4th grade. While I can't say it was a terrific evening, it did prompt some interest for my wife and next thing I know I'm attending her 50th class reunion which was in July. I knew several kids from that school and we all had a great time that evening.... AND, that prompted me to attend my 50th in August. (Class of 62). One of the surprising things of the evening, I remember the school building very well and many of the names and faces from the photos. Nobody at the reunion could remember any of the teacher's names or much about the school itself, but I could recall it in great detail. (My long-term memory is exceptional, but the short-term leaves much to be desired.)

There were only about 100 or so in my graduating class and probably more than twice as many in my wife's class. I wasn't a particularly smart kid ("C" average) and used to be quite shy. So I was astounded at the fact that I was well remembered. I recall a couple of guys who were sort of jerks and was astounded at how friendly they were, coming almost immediately to greet my wife and I. Most shocking was how much a few of the people had changed physically. While many were immediately recognizable, all too many looked nothing like they had in their youth. Most disturbing however was the number of classmates who had deceased.

My wife's class was the same in that regard, they had a "Remember" poster board and there were over thirty members of her class who had passed.

In any case, you may find it an enjoyable night to get with people from so long ago. My wife and I very surprisingly found the reunion to be so.

CWS

Comment

For what would have been our 40th we had nothing, just like all the past anniversaries. I doubt they will ever have one. I run into a few I know from back then, and I've inquired if they have heard anything about a reunion ever, and they have replied no. I also emailed the school and asked, but got no reply which I thought was strange.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I go to see who has gotten fat, ugly or who has really failed in life. It seem to be a mean thing to say, but I was the outcast and the bullied one in school so it's kind of a secret pleasure.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

My response to a reunion?
                        Meh.

An inner city trade school is nothing to be proud of. When for decades such schools were considered a literal dumping ground for delinquents. Those were NOT the happiest days of my life. I lost two classmates to shootings. One was gang related, the other sold drugs.

Comment

My 40th will be coming up in 2015. I would love to see some of the girls I dated just to be relieved at the bullets I dodged.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

They might go for the same reason
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X