Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Bleeding of the American Consumer

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
    But if you want job creation, money movement, i.e. "The Engine of Economy" to have higher RPM's- things breaking sooner makes it happen. No?
    For China, Mexico and India, yes.

The theory is that lower global labor costs reflect output costs to U.S. consumers, but, paying 2X the price for a washer that you'd pay 20 years ago, when it lasts 1/2 the time isn't reciprocal to the economic loss for the jobs sent to China.

It has been incredible for executive wages though, which are up 40% since 2007, while we're still wrestling with higher unemployment & lower labor demand, resulting in lower wage jobs in their place.. (burger flippers)

I'm not saying we should hire American menial labor at 10X the cost, but it's notable to consider end consumer costs don't reflect those lower foreign wages, it's going to the top vs the consumer or job creation.

Last edited by DuckButter; 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Pretty good post DB I think we would be smart to hire American menial labor at a living wage which would make them productive and reduce entitlement spending. Let the third world figure out what to do with their populace. Just joking, we are winning the race to oblivion. Go America, keep buying poorly made foreign junk and help their economies grow as we collapse.

Comment

Worst mistake I ever made was "upgrading" my top load and old style Admiral Washer and Dryer for a new GE front loader washer and dryer combo.

2 months in and we had to get the washer serviced twice, second time was due to a recall.

The dryer takes forever compared to our old one and the washer shakes like a jackhammer if the spin cycle in on anything above half speed. Also the washer weighed a tonne. It's a serious pain always trying to push it back into position every few weeks as the unit is between a wall and side cabinet and the only way to grab it is on the front.

If I knew then what I know now.... I would have kept using my old units.

Comment

Working...
        X