best hiking footwear for those who hike/trek/backpack etc;

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best hiking footwear for those who hike/trek/backpack etc;

What do you believe to be good hiking footwear?

Me ? I just wear tennis shoes,black rubber boots,etc; but I never go far.

Why ask?
    1-Just would like to know.
    2-Might began doing more hiking, just because.

Re: best hiking footwear for those who hike/trek/backpack etc;

For me boots are probably the best..these are tough and provide all round protection to the feet..
    Monoprice Coupon Code

Comment

I prefer boots of some kind, though I'm not particularly happy with "lug-type" soles, as they simply pick up too much debris during wet weather.

A million years ago when I used to spend my life in the woods and would be "in the field" for at least one weekend a month (11 years in Civil Air Patrol SAR operations), we wore the old-style (early 50's) military "jump boots", which were black leather, lace ups to just below the calv. Good ankle support and a relatively gripping sole and sturdy heel. A few applications of Neetsfoot Compound every year kept them waterproof and serviceable even in NE winters.

For me, I wouldn't go in any kind of "sneaker"/atheletic shoe. Too low, and though good sole support, I don't think there's much support in the ankle. If you're sticking to a well worn trail for a couple of hours at the state or county park, they may well be sufficient. But for off-trail hiking over rocks, downed trees, and just general rought terrain you want something that will keep you from twisting an ankle, or abrading your ankles when a slip or wrong step might occur. In my mind, I never dress for going into the woods for a couple of hours... even though that is the plan. One never knows if an accident will occur (or a novice will get lost) and you might well be there for a day or more. Be prepared, always.

I think today, any decent sportings good store would offer a decent selection from various brand names. Personally, I don't find myself in the woods nearly as much as I'd like. As a kid, I was there every day, summer or winter. But now, my very old work brogans seem to be sufficient for those rare days when I can find the time to visit a few of the old hiking places around hills and back woods of my youth. But when I do go, I go prepared with sturdy footware, a first aid kit, water, knife, matches, a bit of food, poncho (or small plastic tarp) and of course my radio or cell phone.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I have worn US military combat boots for many years now, the black leather (with the jeep tread soles), and not that I do a lot of walking, but do fix miles of fences and farm besides some construction, they normally have served me well, and keep the cactus and puncture vine, sand burrs and needle grass and other unpleasant vetagation away, not that I have ever rattle snake struck but I would think they would protect there under normal conditions, I have not tried the desert boots (yet) was not impressed with jungle boots even for summer use.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I wear military desert boots and have found that they can handle most everything I do. They are somewhat expensive, though, but have lasted for 4 years so far.

http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/belleville-790-st/
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'd be wearing leather boots, due to the risk of snake bites here in Az. Just yesterday I read about a girl that got bit, and even with insurance, the hospital billed her $45k for what the insurance didn't cover.
            Just saying,
            AP

Comment

Usually just work boots. Picked up a pair of these last year on sale. Like to rotate what I wear. Gotta' say, they have been darn tough.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/71...t-pesto-beluga

Like anything, what you wear kind of depends on what your planning on doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                Usually just work boots. Picked up a pair of these last year on sale. Like to rotate what I wear. Gotta' say, they have been darn tough.

http://www.vasque.com/vasque-shoe/71...t-pesto-beluga

Like anything, what you wear kind of depends on what your planning on doing.
                That is a nice looking shoe.

Comment

It really depends on what your needs are. You can go anywhere from a lightweight hiker to expedition Sorels. I am actually going through my boots to thin the collection as I type. My favorite boots are my Browning Thinsulated Gore-Tex mid height. I've done about 6 or so hunts out on the Alaskan Tundra with them. They are a light boot but super rugged.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                  X