X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spanish?

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
    I was wondering......

In Mexico ...do they have "press one for English"??????

Cactus Man
    No, its 2 for english, 1 for spanish
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

My wife is learning Italian using Rosetta Stone and is encountering the same gender issues. It seems english is one of the few languages that does not genderize inanimate objects.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

A ham radio friend of mine once told me that the best reason for learning and becoming proficient in "Morse Code" is so that we can communicate with other English-speaking people and understand what in the world they are saying!
        My code is so rusty that I'm sure I couldn't carry on a conversation with anyone at speeds over 5 wpm. FCC did away with the code requirement a couple years ago, so before long, nobody will be using it.
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Just save yourself the aggravation of learning a foreign language.

Download Google Translate to your smartphone. Speak into it what you want to say and it'll repeat back the translated language. It's not exact but it works well for just about every language and dialect there is. I used it on vacation to find a Croatian seafood restaurant and that woman didn't speak a single word of English. Then she used my phone to translate Croatian directions back into English for me.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
            My code is so rusty that I'm sure I couldn't carry on a conversation with anyone at speeds over 5 wpm. FCC did away with the code requirement a couple years ago, so before long, nobody will be using it.
            I think you are right in that 'Morse' will be at best a very rare thing. Even the services have dropped it and I believe it is no longer even a requirement for a 'commercial' license. However, there are a lot of Hams who almost exclusively use Morse. One of those is a female friend of mine who simply found operating by voice to be a PIA, because of the natural horniness of men... you ever notice that when a female voice is herd, every male within listening range wants to make contact!?

Not long after I got my license the ARRL had a contest, and I believe it was the last "Novice Roundup". I'm not at all a contest person, but I thought that one time it would be nice to enter. The requirements (IIRC) were that you had one week to work as many stations as possible. But, you could only operate a maximum of forty hours for the whole week. The previous two months I had worked 87 countries, mostly on the 10-meter band in phone mode. I figured the contest would be a cinch, at least to operate enough in to earn at least a certificate.

But, also at the time, I was just beginning to suffer from the effect of Type 2 diabetes and there were times when my reading comprehension wasn't all that accurate; and, in this case I read the contest rules wrong... leading me to think that I had to work at least 120 stations in order to get a certificate; when in fact, the rules read something like, "You need to provide log sheets for over 120 contacts".

So, I jumped into the contest on Sunday evening and after about six contact the band just went to crap for phone operations and that sent me to my old telegraph key (I could barely do 5 wpm). For the rest of the week the band never cleared, and as a Technician licensee at the time, my lower band priviledges were only for Morse code. Big problem was that I'd find a particular frequency that was clear, make a contact and the that guy would in turn start making contacts on the frequency for which I was there first. Did you ever try to state your case, when you don't speak the language with skill?

Well, by the end of the week my Morse skills had improved substantially and a month later I took my 13 wpm exam and it was breeze! (today, I don't think I can even do 5 wpm though)

Several months later, I got my contest certificate in the mail... and much to my surprise I had won First Place for Western New York with my over 300 contacts.

I bet that if any of us found ourselves in a community where another language was dominant, we'd learn it in a surprisingly short amount of time, no matter what it was!

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Just save yourself the aggravation of learning a foreign language.

Download Google Translate to your smartphone. Speak into it what you want to say and it'll repeat back the translated language. It's not exact but it works well for just about every language and dialect there is. I used it on vacation to find a Croatian seafood restaurant and that woman didn't speak a single word of English. Then she used my phone to translate Croatian directions back into English for me.
              You assume I own and have the intelligence to operate a SmartPhone.

Comment

I'll learn enough to order a meal and a cerveza thats where it stops.

Comment

Working...
                X