Spanish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish?

Can you speak Spanish? Other foreign language?

Re: Spanish?

not fluently. i can decipher enough spoken word to understand. i could manage on my own in a spanish country. i used to be fluent in german however due to lack of usage i no longer have good usage.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Flunked Spanish in high school but learned a lot more in 2 weeks using Rosetta Stone a couple years back. Also pick up German basics when my wife's cousins came here for a few weeks.
      If you want to learn a foreign language, Rosetta Stone is the way to go.

Comment

A also flunked Spanish in school but got an A in it when I retook it in summer school. However, most of my Spanish I learned was from fellow employees when I worked at Denny's as a kid.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
          Can you speak Spanish? Other foreign language?

No I do not and it really pizzes me off when I have to listen to automated Spanish options when calling on the phone. Paying for all those Spanish channels in my TV package also raises my blood pressure

I could say more but I best not.............

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
            Paying for all those Spanish channels in my TV package also raises my blood pressure
            Those are separate with my provider's plan.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I attempted to take a course which was offered at work in the early 80's. It was frustrating beyond belief, mostly I think because of the teacher. I simply could not grasp the teacher's insistance on "gender" words. In any case, I simply quit after a week.... it's the only course I ever quit in my life.

CWS

Comment

There is only one language the Queens English

Tony

Comment

I just started using this free program on the Internet. http://www.duolingo.com/. It's OK, but I'm a bit miffed with the gender thing too. How do you know the gender difference between a glass of milk and a carrot???

So is Rosetta Stone free? Probably not!
                  Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                    So is Rosetta Stone free? Probably not!
                    It is if you know where to look on the internet.

A couple hundred from a computer store

Comment

Yeah, it's expensive, I've been reading up on it. So if I were to look on the Internet for the free version... where would I be looking?
                      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

I was wondering......

In Mexico ...do they have "press one for English"??????

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by speedbump View Post
                          I just started using this free program on the Internet. http://www.duolingo.com/. It's OK, but I'm a bit miffed with the gender thing too. How do you know the gender difference between a glass of milk and a carrot???

EXACTLY my point, and I could never get anyone to explain this to me... at least not in English! (So I'm open if anyone here could.)

Our instructor was one of our engineers who was born and raised "south-of-the-border" and though I liked the guy, he would really get his dander up with anyone questioning him on anything. Not exactly the makings of a good teacher IMO. In this particular class he really put a lot of stress (and stress on the class) on this gender requirement for words, and I was not the only one who simply 'didn't get it'! I tried to get him to explain the neccessity or to use the English language as an example of where we might be 'gendering' words or phrases... I guess we have no examples of that.

So, too me it was a frustrating experience and not one worth the stress.

I personally think it would be great to know another language, but not so much that I've had the ambition to go there. Funny because over the years I've had friends from many other countries, including Germany, China, Russia, India, Italy, and even Australia (now there is a language that is tough to understand ). My FIL (God bless him) was born in Italy and though most of the family is here in the area now, very few of their children speak any Italian... "In America it is good to be American!", they used to say. (So what the hell is the problem with Hispanics?)

On the funny side of things, my friend from China used to say, "speaking English hurts my mouth"... because the muscles are used differently I guess. My friend from Moscow told me once that "Russian" is so hard that most kids only have a very basic speaking ability when they are four or five and that you're almost in "junior high" before you really begin to grasp the language.

Unfortunately, I've known a lot of Americans that I simply have no understanding of what in the world they are trying to say, because of their regional slurrings. I guess the "Queens English" is in such variety and so poorly learned and pronounced that it almost becomes "foreign" in its regionalization.

A ham radio friend of mine once told me that the best reason for learning and becoming proficient in "Morse Code" is so that we can communicate with other English-speaking people and understand what in the world they are saying!

CWS
                          Last edited by CWSmith; 08-17-2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I tried a trial of Fluenz and think I like it.

Just interested in it for some reason now. Think I'm getting bored with plumbing.

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                              No I do not and it really pizzes me off when I have to listen to automated Spanish options when calling on the phone. Paying for all those Spanish channels in my TV package also raises my blood pressure

I could say more but I best not.............
                              I agree some. I used to be "English Only!" but now kind of think of knowing other languages as just another skill to have and use for your purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X