• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ah another shooting

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-new...z/-/index.html

Comment

I have never read so much crap in a long time trying to blame it on race or computer games these three losers wouldn`t have had the guts to kill up close and personal with a knife or a punch to the head as in Australia no they did with a gun from a distance which is so easy to get a hold of in the US as your gun laws are a joke in a so civilized society your second amendment has been prostituted since its beginning to justify the owning and carrying of guns by its citizens
      I`m sorry but you have all lost the plot believing that the US is the centre of the world and can do whatever it wishers those days are well and truly gone you are in debt to the world owing trillions you cannot pay back you still use the imperial measuring system even though the world has moved on to metric and the list goes on you were the world leaders in the space race now you don`t even have a delivery vehicle you have sat on your laurels for far to long and guns are just one of your problems and until you face up to it you will become a backwater to Asia and the rest of the world

Tony

Comment

Blah blah blah Tony.

It's been a while since we've had the pleasure of your blathering.

Btw...I just posted a link that proves half the stuff you said wrong.

Comment

Gaming hardware and software requires significant processing power and an indirect benefit in general in the tech world are the clever coding techniques and hardware architectures that have come about as a result of having to develop fast processing for being able to run modern 3D games in real time.

Comment

I say shoot all three of them in the back in the middle of the street and let them bleed out just like Christopher did... freaking animals... you cant fix deranged souls such as these. Im sorry, but no rehabilitation can fix these kids, I dont care what anyone thinks.

Comment

BTW, I've been "gaming" since I was in elementary school. I played Doom, heck I played Wolfenstein, the disputed birth of FPS games. I've played Call of Duty, Battlefield, Gears of War, Advanced War Fighter, Ghost Recon, Counter-Strike, and on and on... I have NEVER once thought it would be completely acceptable to kill anyone for fun, or shoot them in the back because I was bored. Face it, the gaming culture isnt the problem, its culture and the lack of involved parents, plain and simple. Its not the damn gun Tony, quit trying to blame the damn weapon. Its the sick twisted freak that pulled the trigger. I question anyone's true sanity these days that doesn't support the death penalty, because worthless pieces of **** like these three morons deserve nothing more than a hole in the ground and a hole in the head, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                I say shoot all three of them in the back in the middle of the street and let them bleed out just like Christopher did... freaking animals... you cant fix deranged souls such as these. Im sorry, but no rehabilitation can fix these kids, I dont care what anyone thinks.
                Alpha, hard call. I do agree wholeheartedly though that they will have little if any chance or rehabilitation, unless of course they find GOD.....(cynical statement).
                Unlike here I haven't heard of yet of any sick egotistical ambulance chaser coming out pro-bono to defend these three. Mind you send them down and they get a full education from the other trash especially on how to beat the system and be more careful next time not to get caught. Maybe do what they do in Malaysia, public lashings.

Comment

The older I get, the more I question if people really do "find God" that do this sort of thing. I believe in the Almighty, and always have had a feeling of something greater than myself. But when I see someone like these 3 worthless animals do something like this, I highly doubt there is any light in that soul, and never will be. I don't know, people are getting crazier everyday it seems. I get the feeling that when bad apples like these "find Jesus" its for a selfish reason, which I struggle with myself of understanding.

Comment

Alphacowboy, the video games you played as a kid are as similar to the current ones as a old rotary phone is to a smart phone. These kids are not replacing an hour of tv with an hour of gaming, they are spending entire days entranced in that false reality. They don't have two parents in most cases and even famlies with two parents have no backbone to actually parent! I don't excuse their behavior, I do see the causes. Ultimately, they must be held accountable for their actions. I can't understand how child molestors for example are released back into society? The odds of them reoffending are very high, and many once released fall out of compliance and off their medications. The problems of bad environment, society, failure of the family unit, lack of prosecution, all of it seem to be getting worse.
                    I know a woman who has two college age boys who are gamers, they are both out of shape(obese), shy away from any social activities, and spend so much time gaming they do poorly in college. They have two intelligent, hard working parents, but these folks did not limit the hours of gaming, did not push thier sons to get out and experience the real world. In a perfect world I would like to see kids limited to an hour of gaming if they enjoy it, and then an hour of playing outdoors, interacting with other people, experiencing life, work, charity, doing for others.
                    My parents didn't have much of a social life, they were their for their family. This is not a problem of black and white or rich and poor. The way to fix it which won't happen is parents who are involved and who care. Kids need to be productively occupied, so sports, part time jobs all of that helps. Lastly, there has got to be a better system of crime and punishment, stop putting violent criminals back into society where they cannot be monitored constantly and often reoffend. I'm just dreaming because these things will not happen.

Comment

Alpha,

I don't disagree with you, and in fact I have found a few of these games to be great fun, though I much prefer the air combat games. Years ago I was enthralled with the Avalon Hill board games of combat strategy, including Gettysburg, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader, etc. Problem with those was finding an opponent to play and then finding an almost full day in which to carry out the scenario.

Computer games are certainly more graphic and action prone and I also think, because of the actual sight and sound which floods the senses, can be addicting and worse, reality changing, to some impressional minds. While someone may well be able to "really get into" such games and still keep thier perspective on reality and the values of living and life, some cannot. The problem is that we have no way of separating those out or placing any kind of safeguards or detections and prevention. And of course we can't really band such games, unless they can be decidedly obscene in their violence plots and actions. Nor should we really want or have to banish action games, even though they may be dealing with death and destruction and the art of combat and strategy. But it is troubling when we see any crime carried out by someone who has been 'changed', as may well be someone's defense.

But I don't know that this is the case here (I haven't read enough about it to know one way or another). We have all read of other 'claims' though in cases like Adam Lanza.

I agree though, that becoming addicted, seeing a person or persons who are wasting themselves away in the pursuit of a "game" can be troubling... even if it's not on the computer and not violent. Any "game", or for that matter, any pursuit can be detrimental if it isn't done in balance.

While "problems" and be easily assessed or perceived, they may not be accurate... at least by themselves. So I agree that much has to be reflected by the lack of parental supervision, which is an entirely different problem all by itself. But that lack of parental supervision doesn't address the mindset of someone at an age when they should be self-guided, individual thinkers. For example, I can't see looking over the shoulder of my 17-year old grandson and what he is doing on his computer or smart phone... but, I certainly can watch for changes in his personality, things he might say, or changes in his dress or habits.

CWS

Comment

http://www.soc.iastate.edu/sapp/VideoGames1.pdf

It's a lot to read and a bit wordy and dry but the research is all there.
                        sigpic

Comment

No legislature or law is ever going to stop a criminal hellbent on destruction. Whenever a story like this comes out, its front page news for the left. Their agenda is to take away guns from everyone including law abiding citizens. Seldom does it make the news when someones life is saved by exercising their 2nd amendment rights. Shock and sensationalism sells, not boring old happy endings.

Comment

John,

I'm sorry that you perceive this as a political issue of "left" or "right". I think that if we looked at history, we'd find a lot more "right" infringements than we would from the "left" though.

Also, I don't see that someone saving themselves or others as a matter of 2nd Amendment rights. And I do think that you "seldom" see such things in the news because they "seldom" happen. Believe me, with the way the NRA leadership presently is, you'd see it everywhere possibe on those rare occasions when it happens.

As a matter of fact, I was sitting in my Doctor's office a few months ago and picked up one of the "shooter" magazines there, in which was listed a series of stories regarding just such incidents (those where owners used thier weapon to thwart a crime or to defend a life. A couple of these were a bit of a stretch, IMO; but what surprised me most was the very low number of cases that could be told. Take that in the face of the hundreds that had died in the same period, and it was like using a squirt gun to put out a forest fire. While no doubt that those "saved" are forever grateful for the right of someone to have a weapon handy, it was nothing compared to the carnage from those who should have never been able to get their hands on a gun. The argument just doesn't begin to compare.

But, I'm not against the 2nd Amendment or for any decent person owning a weapon. What I have a problem with is that the NRA leadership is against background checks and against any restrictions of weapons, types, capacities, or restraints on who should be allowed to have them. Again, it isn't a matter of "left" or "right", nor is it a matter of denying the 2nd Amendment to any law-abiding citizen.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                              John,

I'm sorry that you perceive this as a political issue of "left" or "right". I think that if we looked at history, we'd find a lot more "right" infringements than we would from the "left" though.

Also, I don't see that someone saving themselves or others as a matter of 2nd Amendment rights. And I do think that you "seldom" see such things in the news because they "seldom" happen. Believe me, with the way the NRA leadership presently is, you'd see it everywhere possibe on those rare occasions when it happens.

As a matter of fact, I was sitting in my Doctor's office a few months ago and picked up one of the "shooter" magazines there, in which was listed a series of stories regarding just such incidents (those where owners used thier weapon to thwart a crime or to defend a life. A couple of these were a bit of a stretch, IMO; but what surprised me most was the very low number of cases that could be told. Take that in the face of the hundreds that had died in the same period, and it was like using a squirt gun to put out a forest fire. While no doubt that those "saved" are forever grateful for the right of someone to have a weapon handy, it was nothing compared to the carnage from those who should have never been able to get their hands on a gun. The argument just doesn't begin to compare.

But, I'm not against the 2nd Amendment or for any decent person owning a weapon. What I have a problem with is that the NRA leadership is against background checks and against any restrictions of weapons, types, capacities, or restraints on who should be allowed to have them. Again, it isn't a matter of "left" or "right", nor is it a matter of denying the 2nd Amendment to any law-abiding citizen.

CWS
                              Not a "right or "left thing? A few names come to mind, Feinstein, Bloomburg, Clinton, Obama, Biden, Schumer, Cuomo, Blumenthal, Leahy, Kerry, Lautenberg, Boxer, Durbin, ...............my hands are tired.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest". Mahatma Gandhi
                              26+6=1

Comment

Frank, I still play the games of today. I have Call of Duty Black OPs II, and Battlefield 3, both current renditions of those franchises. I also have Fallout 3 and Fallout Vegas. These two games are based in the future after nuclear fallout. I find these games interesting, as they are very in-depth games. Ive wasted many an hour playing them, but honestly, they are an escape from reality, and I find it refreshing even though its set in a very dark place, full of violence and despair. Makes real life seem ok I guess, manageable and not as bad as it actually could be. But, hey, if we ever experience nuclear fallout, I'll know how to survive... lol

Comment

Working...
                                X