Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ah another shooting

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Of course criminals, or potential criminals are deterred! Take for example or immigration laws and how effective they are as a deterrent, okay bad example. How about laws and the prosection of pedophiles who rape children? Those offenders know they will never be able to hurt another child because, oh, sorry another bad example. Well at least laws regarding premeditated murder, murder committed during a crime and such prevent murders, right? OH, just forget what I said.
    So what do you propose as a solution?

Comment

I'll just disagree that deterrents work enough to even dent the real problem.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
        I'll just disagree that deterrents work enough to even dent the real problem.
        Sure disagreeing is fine - we can agree to do that.

Comment

There is some truth to the fact that in some places, the stricter the gun laws the higher the rate of gun murders. Washington DC was a good example of that. That said, I am 100% behind increasing sentencing for crimes committed while in possession of a firearm and for people who do not properly secure their weapons.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

No, CWS. I don't listen to NRA other than what makes it to the newspapers. They might appear paranoid to some, but that does not mean they don't have legitimate concerns.

"They" would be the Obama administration and most liberals including major media like NBC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, NYT, Newsweek...(Just to scratch the surface).

It hasn't happened because thankfully even many Democrats have a problem with more gun control.

It's not for a lack of "their" trying. One of Obama's tactics was to parade sandy hook family members all over and crying "Think of the children". No one can deny it's a sad and terrible tragedy, but adding more laws will not make any difference for he lawless.

That masecure (NYC) is also a terrible thing, but to deny someone their right to protect themselves for the "greater good" of the community is about as wrong as making making an arrest without police having any probable cause. Think how much safer we would be?

Gun control does not work. Take Chicago as an example.

The constitution give one the "Right" to keep and bear arms, it does not mandate it. If someone feels uncomfortable having a weapon they are making the right choice by not doing so. BTW, I do not own any hand guns, but I highly respect others who do thus making my surroundings safer.

If I am on a bus and some thug get on with a gun, I know I'm safer having others carrying.

I would rather the masecure you talked of, ending with one of the innocent bystanders pulling out a .38 and blowing his head off.
            Last edited by johncameron; 08-24-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
              So what do you propose as a solution?
              There is no solution! Criminals, and the mentally disturbed will continue to kill, using firearms, bombs, flashlights, knives or anything else that will do the job! In my opinion laws are not properly enforced, career criminals are proof that the system can be played.

Comment

I once fought off a gang with a melon scoop..........true story.

Comment

But should criminals, and those of mental disorder also have that same right? I think not!
                  But taking away any 'right' a criminal or felon may have to legally purchase or posses a firearm of any type does little to stop them from acquiring one. Why would someone thinking of committing a crime with a gun purchase it through legal channels no matter how easy it may be?

I think we should acknowledge there is a real problem with the ease with which people can get guns who should not get them.
                  When they (police, FBI, ATF, etc) cut off 100% of the illegal avenues by which guns get in the hands of criminals, then we'll know if making it more difficult to purchase a gun legally has any merit. Until then any one wanting a gun will get one by hook or crook if they can't buy one legally.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 08-25-2013, 06:45 AM. Reason: fixed typos from tablet keyboard entry
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    There is no solution! Criminals, and the mentally disturbed will continue to kill, using firearms, bombs, flashlights, knives or anything else that will do the job! In my opinion laws are not properly enforced, career criminals are proof that the system can be played.
                    And what did I hear kn the news last week? Something about they were going to release so many thousand of those inprisoned onlesser crimes because of overcrowding and the ever increasing costs of housing criminals.

That should help deter anyone from committing a crime.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

http://downtrend.com/peterbraun/woma...ouston-dennys/

Comment

There are always stories to support any side of the argument. Here is something that happened in Palm Springs which is not too far from SD. Two men got into an altercation in a store or supermarket. As it happened both were armed. One pulled out a gun and seeing that so did the other. They shot each other and both died.

Comment

Bet they won't do that again.
                          ---------------
                          ---------------
                          ---------
                          ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            ...going to release so many thousand of those inprisoned onlesser crimes because of overcrowding and the ever increasing costs of housing criminals
                            I agree, They should never let a violent offender walk. I'd be OK releasing the petty drug charges though (like growing weed) The war on drugs is a huge failure and waste of taxpayers money.

Comment

I never smoked or ate weed, but I bet it's not as harmful as alcohol? All a matter of making profit and I guess the folks who hold the power are doing their best to keep weed illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                                I once fought off a gang with a melon scoop..........true story.
                                The gang calls it a shiv.
                                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                                X