X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah another shooting

But this time an Australian Christopher Lane was just jogging down a street in a town called Duncan and was shot in the back for kicks something to do as the shooter and his two friends were bored that says it all

Tony

Re: Ah another shooting

And the right wing wackos are already saying it was black on white hate crime. I have noticed a disturbing trend among the right wing media lately trying to incite a race war. Something that they have for years tried to pin on the democrats but as I suspected, their rhetoric has been a smoke screen.
    sigpic

Comment

Well O-M-G...they were in violation of the Oklahoma firearm laws...imagine that. How is it that criminals cant even follow the most lax of state laws? (I guess those laws really work! NOT! Listen up, Gov. Cuomo...)
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Saw that on the news the other day. An aspiring 22 year old college baseball player from Australia.

They caught all 3 kids. I believe 2 are juveniles and being charged as adults. Btw, 2 are black and 1 is white. Supposedly a randam act.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I see this crime as the result of a society that has too many illegal firearms, too many leagal firearms in the hands of irresponsible or distrubed people, a breakdown of the family unit, and a perversion of reality. Some of these kids spend ten or more hours playing violent video games, their perspective of reality is blurred. If you doubt that surroundings and behavior can lead to such a thing I challenge you to spend hours in a bumper car, then get into your own car and resist the urge to crash into the closest car! We are programming violence, removing positive input, providing weapons, opportunity, and when it all goes to hell, we glorify the guilty.
          There is black on black, white on white and every other combination of racially motivated crime. The weaker of our society, the aged, women, children, gays are often targets. The weapon of choice here was a firearm, but he could have easily been stabbed or beaten to death. The gun made it less personal, but is the gun the tipping point of whether or not that man lived or died? Remove the gun from the equation, the crime and you still have opportunity, motive (boredom) and committment. Unfortunately, nothing will change, the illegal guns will remain in circulation, the legal guns not properly secured or in the hands of the mentally ill won't go away either. Can the minds of the impressionable be changed? No! The violent video games and the people who play them for hours on end are here to stay. I suppose responsible people will suddenly exert more control over their children? Another pipe dream people. Get used to the horror, outrage and legislation has changed nothing!

Comment

It's a horrible thing. I'm from Oklahoma and many I know are sick about this.

Screw "the rightwingers are making this about race" stuff. Our president opened that can of worms with his travon martin comments.

Comment

Frankie; best post from you ever. Thanks
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                The weapon of choice here was a firearm, but he could have easily been stabbed or beaten to death.
                True but it's a lot harder and messy without a gun and for a crime like this it a lot simpler to pull a trigger than to confront someone and stab or beat them as the risk of injury to the party attempting the crime is a lot higher.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  Frankie; best post from you ever. Thanks
                  Thankyou NHM. I try my best to think beyond the surface, the immediate, I know my posts are often upsetting and I come off with a fatalist attitude, sorry.

Comment

At least they aren't dooshy.....like some others can be.

And no...I'm not even being sneaky.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      True but it's a lot harder and messy without a gun and for a crime like this it a lot simpler to pull a trigger than to confront someone and stab or beat them as the risk of injury to the party attempting the crime is a lot higher.
                      I agree. Up close and personal is a whole different story, but these kids were clearly desensitized to the ramifications of their actions. Do you remember the kid who killed his little brother or friend(?) by copying the wrestling ,moves he saw on tv? All of it is harmless when it's on a screen, so they see no problem with taking it beyond into the real world. I remember coming out of a movie theatre after seeing my first Bruce Lee movie, everyone was kicking and punching the air, all ramped up from the action. Now multiply that by ten and add the refinement of gaming experts who make the experience more real, more rewarding, more exciting. I have a neighbor whose son graduated MIT, a computer genius. He worked for a short time for a gaming co. but quit and went on to do his own thing. His father said they have the gaming down to a science where it is extremely addictive, and a young impressionable mind doesn't stand a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        I agree. Up close and personal is a whole different story, but these kids were clearly desensitized to the ramifications of their actions. Do you remember the kid who killed his little brother or friend(?) by copying the wrestling ,moves he saw on tv? All of it is harmless when it's on a screen, so they see no problem with taking it beyond into the real world. I remember coming out of a movie theatre after seeing my first Bruce Lee movie, everyone was kicking and punching the air, all ramped up from the action. Now multiply that by ten and add the refinement of gaming experts who make the experience more real, more rewarding, more exciting. I have a neighbor whose son graduated MIT, a computer genius. He worked for a short time for a gaming co. but quit and went on to do his own thing. His father said they have the gaming down to a science where it is extremely addictive, and a young impressionable mind doesn't stand a chance.
                        I agree it is a collection of factors and it appear that we are breeding people who are becoming detached from reality due to technology. How many times have we heard of people who when someone is in trouble are busy snapping photos of the moment instead of trying to provide aid to the person in trouble. Easy access to guns is the final link in the chain.

Comment

The psychological effects of gaming are documented and frightening. A child's undeveloped brain undergoes mass changes to the frontal cortex as a result of the induced flight of fight syndrome. This releases adrenalin which causes a temporary high as wel as inhibiting higher brain functions related to social behavior. That's a simplified explanation of a very complex subject but as part of my ongoing work towards my masters it's a subject that I am having to study in depth. If parents were aware of the stunting effects on their children's behavior it should be the end of gaming.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes, great post there Franki. I very much appreciated your point of view and statement.

I agree, that gaming has become a mind numbing factor that shouldn't be allowed for young children especially. But even for young adults it makes me wonder how this changes their attitudes toward violence. It makes me wonder even about some adults too. Years ago there was a game called Doom. The first version was sort of fun, but even then it wasn't hard to find yourself intranced with the action. While I found it fun, most of it for me was unlocking the puzzles it contained. But by the third version, the game just became sort of sic. That technology was almost 20 years ago. Today, I don't do hardly any computer gaming. It can be somewhat addicting and it doesn't take long before you find that over a few days you've wasted so much time and accomplished absolutely nothing of value.

I have no idea what today's game technology must be like, probably all too realistic in it's mayhem. I watch the News and see some of the embarrassing things that happen today and wonder how people could do the things they do... perhaps some of it is just computer training.

CWS

Comment

CWS, I am serious that the gaming industry is a developed science with some very brilliant people working to make it very addictive! The problems affect both our youth and certain adults who use it as an escape from the real world. I expect we will see good investigative reporting to uncover the dangers and abuses in the near future. Remember subliminal suggestions being inserted into certain media years ago? A few frames of a coke or popcorn during a movie seems harmless enough, can you imagine how advanced such techniques have become? Frightening.

Comment

Working...
                              X