X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got stung on a job yesterday

I mean stung for real, but a paper wasp. Bugger got me twice. I was working in the yard trimming shrubs around the house, same ones I have trimmed a couple times a year for 13 years. Never found any wasps nesting in there in all that time. Got careless I guess in that I did not check the last couple times. When we first moved here I was more cautious of such things.

I was never alergic in the past, and this time since I have become alergic to other things that never bothered me before I thought maybe I'm now alergic to stings too. But I apparently am still OK though my wrist swelled up damn good and stayed that way for about 8 hours. It's been over 24 hours now and it still stings to the touch or when I bend my wrist and is still swollen a bit and red around the two stings.

So why do I even bring this up? Because it shows how getting too comfortable with your work can set you up for a fall.

Don't forget to keep asking yourself "what could go wrong?".
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: got stung on a job yesterday

Watch for swarms........check! :-)

Comment

Good post Bob! I was trimming a low shrub and felt something bump my belly, second bump got stung by a white faced hornet. Week to week these stinging insects can build a nest, so you can't let your guard down. Now before I start going at it with the hedge trimmers I bang the hedge or shrubs with a rake. As a side note, I went with my adult age daughter to an allergist so she could be checked for sensitivity to a few things. She was under the assumption that she was highly allergic to bee stings. He said if the local area is red and swollen, that's normal. If you get stung on the leg or wrist and develop a hive on your face, that's a dangerous reaction!

Comment

I'm just glad I didn't get hit on the neck or face, that would have been more uncomfortable than this is no doubt.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Try benadryl for the relief of the sting.

I've only been stung 3 times.

Once in the palm of my hand when the bee came out of a soda can. I was only 7 at the time and I was running around with the stinger until an adult was able to remove it.

Worst was at a jobsite during lunch. Put my soda can down and didn't know a bee flew in until I was drinking it and felt something crunchy in my mouth. Went to spit it out and was stung in the tongue. The other plumber I was with hadn't a clue what just happened and I couldn't speak very well while I was sticking my tounge out for him to check for a stinger. Very very painful and long lasting.

Third time was not over a soda. But during a drain cleaning call. Went into the bushes to access the cleanout. Got it in the arm.

Joey is alergic to almost everything including bees.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Bob,

I've been there with Yellow Jackets. Got stung once by three yellow jackets when I was in my early teens... no problem other than it hurt of course and had minor swelling. (We were bailing hay and I was riding the stacking sled.)

A few years later, I was mowing the lawn and got stunk on the leg (last time I wore shorts while mowing the grass). Not sure how many bees got me, but my leg was swollen up so bad that I couldn't walk, and couldn't get my jeans on without slitting on leg. That lasted several day and it was damn painful.

The Doc said that with many bee stings, it builds up in your system and each time you get stung, it gets dramatically worse. As explained, it's not the sting itself but the anti-bodies that your system builds. As told to me at the time, "the next time could be fatal !!!" For years, I carried a "bee sting kit". (Which jokingly said "Keep Refrigerated".

I haven't carried a "kit" in years, but am very careful and I haven't been stung since that time in the early 70's. Point is, you might want to check with your physician as to what hazards you face in the event of a future sting.

CWS

Comment

Got stung 7 times by a swarm of Yellow Jackets last year while trail running. After the first two stings I saw them and took off to the truck. They chased me around 100 yards stinging when they could. Drove off and 1/4 mile later got stung two more times. Two of them chased me all the way into the truck!

Burned most of the night. Yellow Jackets are just mean man.

Comment

Just a couple hours ago 7pm tonight I was on my riding mower and noticed a swarm on the grass after I made a pass! I think they were yellow jackets, but not sure? I mixed up some hot water and sudsy dish liquid in a big bucket and poured it over the area. Nothing came out of the ground but returning insects swarmed the area. Tomorrow I'll give it another look and treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Just a couple hours ago 7pm tonight I was on my riding mower and noticed a swarm on the grass after I made a pass! I think they were yellow jackets, but not sure? I mixed up some hot water and sudsy dish liquid in a big bucket and poured it over the area. Nothing came out of the ground but returning insects swarmed the area. Tomorrow I'll give it another look and treatment.
                  Probably just gave your Yellow Jackets a nice bath. Maybe you'll get "clean" stings.

Comment

This is the time of the year that the bees/wasps/hornets become noticeably more aggressive, especially Yellow Jackets. There are certain areas in my yard that before mowing, I watch for any activity, both approaching and departing ground level. Just watch for any holes in the ground as by my experience, they can build rather large hive under ground. And at this time of year, they can become not only aggressive, but pretty damn nasty when you go over their hole with a mower. I guess they know that their days are numbered and are in full survival mode.

Ron

Comment

Easier to see this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCoPoqnyAdU

Comment

Working...
                      X