X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Got Pissed....

That real dumb engineering makes millions for the service industry. That's why they use strange bolts like a reverse torx head. Most people say screw it and take it to the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
      That real dumb engineering makes millions for the service industry. That's why they use strange bolts like a reverse torx head. Most people say screw it and take it to the dealer.
      I picked up one of these sets from harbor freight a couple years ago, come in very handy. Needed the "tri tip, or tri wing" bit for my skylights.
      Well worth to have on hand.
      http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...curity+bit+set

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Gunner, you are too young to remember the cars that required the engines to be lifted by loosening a motor mount to change a rear spark plug! Manufacturers do some real dumb things.
        Since you mention it, I remember only having one car designed to be user friendly and that was an old hand me down 1984 Nissan Stanza. It was the only car where all of the spark plugs where up on top in easy reach. If I remember right, it even had a second set of spark plugs to ignite any residual fuel before reaching the exhaust. I think it was one of the first attempts at cutting emissions where the idea was burning the air twice to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Gunner, you are too young to remember the cars that required the engines to be lifted by loosening a motor mount to change a rear spark plug! Manufacturers do some real dumb things.
          One more thing, to making things that "little bit extra complexity" is the Federal Government and it's EPA arm. My employer recently bought a 2011 Ford work van, where for some reason seemed anemic for the job. Always had a hard time accelerating or going up hills, until one day he decided to turn off the overdrive and see what happens. It was amazing, the van actually had power for once, even with a load. It was as if the engine was unleashed and thus had the power to do the job. Of course this nuked the gas mileage, but damn it's a work van, not a mini-cooper!

So I like to believe that when the Mechanical Engineers at that automotive plants get read the new standards, the collective reaction is a resounding, "WHAT????"

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
            One more thing, to making things that "little bit extra complexity" is the Federal Government and it's EPA arm. My employer recently bought a 2011 Ford work van, where for some reason seemed anemic for the job. Always had a hard time accelerating or going up hills, until one day he decided to turn off the overdrive and see what happens. It was amazing, the van actually had power for once, even with a load. It was as if the engine was unleashed and thus had the power to do the job. Of course this nuked the gas mileage, but damn it's a work van, not a mini-cooper!

So I like to believe that when the Mechanical Engineers at that automotive plants get read the new standards, the collective reaction is a resounding, "WHAT????"
            Government regulation on clean diesel single handedly screwed up the light diesel market.

Comment

I don't think vehicles are designed with ease of service in mind. And another thing I've found is that you can never have enough tools for auto repair - in some situations you need the right wretch with the correct length extension and maybe with an angle or wobble to get at something and remove. I've got stuck on a repair sometimes when discovering I don't have the exact tool I need and having to proceed after getting it. It is also hard to plan for some of them in advance as you don't really know until you encounter the situation. I'm always scouting ebay for used Kent-Moore tools which fit my vehicles for specialized applications such as rebuilding an ac compressor or fixing a transmission. Many of these come from closing dealerships and can be had for a fraction of the new price. Occasionally I've fabricated something to get me by - for example I fabricated a clutch pack compressor that worked off my 20 ton press when I could not locate at a decent price for rebuilding an automatic trans.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                Government regulation on clean diesel single handedly screwed up the light diesel market.
                How?

My clean diesel has no problems whatsoever with power or cost of ownership. The DEF fluid is about $20 and a gallon takes me 2,322 miles.

The engine will only issues if the manufacturer didnt solve the requirements of 'clean diesel' adequately.
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  Yep - very common situation when working on vehicles - you need to pull out a whole stack of unrelated things to get to the item you want. Worst I've had so far was taking out a transmission to rebuild - had to pull out the battery, starter motor, exhaust system and catalytic converter, cooling system and parts of the suspension just to name a few.
                  amen to that back when i was a young locksmith i had to pull the original alarm system out of an alpha romeo (nearly had to disassemble the entire car)
                  (security reasons prevent me from revealing the locations and types of sensors so please don't ask)
                  shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

wife has a dodge journey, to replace the battery you have to jack up the car, remove the front wheel and part of the fender well. What a joke!!

Comment

Working...
                    X