X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Got Pissed....

Fan control on my Toyota truck has been working only on one speed for awhile. So I went to war. Yes, you have to do this just to get to the little switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27d907d90cd98bb7296ae5cfa94f168d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	17774Click image for larger version

Name:	76a176fac8530fa55223016d70bc2003.jpg
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	17775
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM.

Re: I Got Pissed....

Something I wasn't expecting. Check this out Frankiarmz.

Name:	b54a7df46d6ac727437c2d7c83ff8b2c.jpg
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	17776

Comment

Got it back together.

Name:	e3734e20e12e20af4650e7f7bcda4fd3.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	17777

Comment

sheldahl is in northfield, minnesota and specializes in flexible conductive materials. per their web site.

apparently they have been heavily into the space programs:

http://www.sheldahl.com/about/WebPages/History.aspx
        Last edited by Plumber Punky; 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM.
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Can't blame the United Auto Workers for this one First thing that came to mind was "jap crap" as someone posted when I wrote that my wife leased a nissan murano. Seriously, I am impressed that you both got it apart and back together! I'm pretty good at the taking apart, no so much getting back together. I think you are kind of spoiled by your toyota, if you owned a ford or chevy you'd be thankful to have even one fan speed!

Comment

I cant belive the cops dont bust ya for the placement of the NC sticker in the wiper path
            26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by EJW1 View Post
              I cant belive the cops dont bust ya for the placement of the NC sticker in the wiper path
              There's so many other violations they overlook that one.

Comment

Oh, what a feeling...............
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yep - very common situation when working on vehicles - you need to pull out a whole stack of unrelated things to get to the item you want. Worst I've had so far was taking out a transmission to rebuild - had to pull out the battery, starter motor, exhaust system and catalytic converter, cooling system and parts of the suspension just to name a few.

Comment

Back in the day, I owned a 1971 plymouth barricuda 318 engine. The drain plug on the oil pan was stripped, so I looked into replacing the oil pan. Three easy steps, number one: remove engine from car! I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      ... you need to pull out a whole stack of unrelated things to get to the item you want.
                      Had a 1984 Dodge Omni (an overall great little car) with a leaking heater core.
                      Didn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the first step on the assembly line was a heater core hanging by a wire - then the entire car was built around it.
                      I invented new curse words.
                      "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Before my wife leased her nissan murano, she had entertained the idea of buying a used bmwx5. My brother inlaw is a finance guy, earns a good living and has an x5. Well as I was doing my best to talk her out of it, I priced some of the common parts, water pump, alternator, etc.
                        The parts did not seem overly expensive, but I still held my ground and I'm glad I did. A couple of weeks ago My brother inlaw was visiting and said he will probably need a new alternator for the x5 and was not at all happy. If you want a good laugh check out "alternator removal for the x5 on YouTube. You have to take off a lot of the front end, at the very least radiator. tough job where lots can go wrong, and the alternator is water cooled! Most cars have some difficult items to replace and it makes you wonder what the engineers were thinking.
                        Although the used saab 900 turbo I bought years ago was a lemon, I give credit to some of the design and engineering that went into it.
                        Ball joints could be changed with a simple jack, metal wedge and socket wrench, no pressing.

Comment

All of your stories beats mine I'll admit, but I'll throw one in anyway.
                          I own an 02 Ford Focus which I brought into get the A/C recharged. Well, the poor mechanic was trying to install the hoses to do but could not reach around the wheel well for the life of him. He had the car up on a lift and everything. Turns out, that the only way to do it is to remove the front passenger wheel completely to expose the attachment points. No other car on earth requires a wheel removal for a simple A/C recharge.

Comment

BMW and Mercedes have had some of the worst repair records and reliability for years. Yet people seem to buy them for how it makes them "feel".

I Googled around for information about the BMW X5 water cooled alternator. What a piece of garbage installation design AND piece of garbage alternator.

These people I found searching were replacing their alternator after 4 or 5 years of use.

But then again we've all had so much trouble with our air cooled alternators and having to remove the bumper, grill, radiator, fans, controls, shroud, belts, etc. etc. to get to it in less than 4 years...right?

Such B.S. The one in the Toyota truck in this thread is the original Denso one. It's going on 20 years old. (1994 model)

I have no idea why some people still kiss German engineering's azz anymore. They seem to have gotten left behind after the 60's from what I've seen thus far.
                            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tailgunner View Post
                              All of your stories beats mine I'll admit, but I'll throw one in anyway.
                              I own an 02 Ford Focus which I brought into get the A/C recharged. Well, the poor mechanic was trying to install the hoses to do but could not reach around the wheel well for the life of him. He had the car up on a lift and everything. Turns out, that the only way to do it is to remove the front passenger wheel completely to expose the attachment points. No other car on earth requires a wheel removal for a simple A/C recharge.
                              Gunner, you are too young to remember the cars that required the engines to be lifted by loosening a motor mount to change a rear spark plug! Manufacturers do some real dumb things.

Comment

Working...
                              X